First Person or Third Person

Fox-Trot-9

Foxy, the fluffy butt-stabber!
Neither is best. It just depends on what you wanna do with your story.

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
Why can't it be 3rd monster point of view of 1rst monster point of view. Kind of racist to us monsters

PancakesWitch

fourth person where the narrator tells a completely different story while the actual story is happening in the background

overclockedw

I like to do everything in my stories. For example 1st person when I feel things need to be up and personal, maybe getting into a certain character - or even a certain creature's headspace. Then 3rd person when I want to just describe an overall situation from a detached perspective, or would like to keep a character's thoughts and emotions somewhat more secret and guarded.

Although I've found that on this website, I tend to write 1st person a little more. I'm used to writing fanfics where 3rd person omniscient (just meaning I can say what everyone's doing and get into everyone's thoughts and feelings) is more the norm.

So basically: switching between both is best.

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
The first POV allows more range of the emotions of the main character.
The second POV allows more freedom of interactions between characters.
Which is better? I'd say none. It is actually more of a yes or no question.
First POV? Yes?
Second POV? No?

As a reader, I like First POV because it easily puts me in the protagonist's shoes and helps me become more invested in the protagonist.
As a reader, I like the way that Third POV builds interactions, dynamics, and relationships.
As a writer, I like doing them both (if you know what I mean)

Keene

Squat Enjoyer and Programmer
The first POV allows more range of the emotions of the main character.
I like the way that Third POV builds interactions, dynamics, and relationships.

This is typically why so many romance/erotica novels will use first person, and epic fantasy use third person.

If anyone has an example of an epic fantasy using 1st person I would love to see it!

Pixytokisaki14

Half Kitsune Half Succubus
In my opinion, I'd go with Third Person. First person requires you to only veiw the story from the main character's perspective. If you change perspective, you have to let the readers know or they're going to be very confused. With third person you can focus on different characters while seamlessly changing point of views which the reader could understand. :blobreading:

JoyDanpaa

Really depends on what angle you’re going for.

I’m mainly trying to do comedy, so I utilise the first person since I think it’s funnier when you know the characters thoughts about a situation. And it also provides an unreliable narrator.

But I think if there’s action scenes, a third person would be best as it holds a neutral position.

but like everyone else says, it depends what you’re trying to write and what suits you best.

ATRUNA

Honestly for me it's first person. Since i was little i've always been a fan of VN and they basically set me up from the start in writing in first person (even though i did create some stuff in third person). But honestly, try what suits you best!

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
If you write in first pov, then write it in past tense.

dummycake

Already daydreamed about this interaction
Write romance in third-person so readers can always feel like the third wheel 🍵🫖
write in the point of view of the side character who doesn't get involved in anything romantic and just watches as everyone get together

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
There's no better in this chick's opinion. They give different feeling, which makes it for different experiences.