For Motivation and Depression.

Aleth08

Today, I wanted to share some things with the fellow authors. Backstory first: I've been a writer for almost 2 years now. Of which I started taking writing seriously about 9-10 months ago. Been working on improving it ever since. But as it is the case with all, my initial work is a mess. So from all the comments, reviews, negative or positive, I've received, I realized some things. Very basic things that most people already know. But I think it gets ignored, or many writers dont follow it.
So, just wanted to share it and create a reminder for those who're looking for it.

When you get a negative comment or a review, it crushes your spirit. No matter how veteran you become, I think this will never change. So when you experience this, remind yourself that you cant please everyone. No story will get a 100% positive feedback. Preference plays a big role in this. In this situation, try to read the positive feedback you got. It will remind you that your story is liked by someone. Its not all dark for you. And if you havent received any positive one yet, then wait. Someone will like it.

Next, if you get a negative comment that points out your mistakes. Dont fret. Dont take it as the reader giving you the final judgement. Its not your final level. No writer was born a best seller. They all improved. You should instead thank that reader for helping you improve your work. If you dont feel grateful to him at the moment, leave it be. Once you become numb to that specific comment, you can come back to it and deal with it. Continuing in this one, also dont take every criticism readers make too seriously. They are not experts. So, if it doesnt seem right to you, double check it with someone else. Maybe watch educational vids online to confirm it.

Next, as I said in the above point, no one was born a best seller. So know that your first draft, and maybe even your first story, will most probably suck. So dont get depressed if you feel your story cant stand up to the others. Or feel better after reading this if you are depressed because of that.
When you're writing, dont write for the readers. Write for yourself. Many readers reminded me of this when I felt down because of some harsh comments. I couldnt really understand it back then, but now I do. Write what excites you, otherwise you'll loose your fuel.

Next, many writers succumb under pressure of readers. And change their story. Its good to take their feedback into consideration, and adjust your story accordingly, but dont change it because one reader said he liked it the other way. One particular theme for this is the MC being smart or dumb. Its actually very subjective, as I've come to notice. One reader might call your MC dumb for making a certain decision. But others might praise him for just that. So know that this is purely based on personal preference, dont believe anyone if they say so otherwise.

Finally, try and learn to recognize the type of readers. Some will nitpick the shit out of your story from early on. And most of it will be based on their preferences. If you see such comments, try and ignore it. For it will neither help you improve nor will give you motivation. Another type is someone who rages at a certain part of the story. Dont lash back at those readers. Realize that they are raging because they feel strongly about your story. They liked it enough to rage like that. Another is someone who'll judge and criticize every decision made by your MC. These types are similar to the nitpicking types, dont take them seriously, becuz they dont take your story seriously.

Anyway, this was all from what I've experienced so far[I might've missed some things, but others will add on I'm sure]. If you disagree with any of the points, feel free to oppose it. I would also like to hear your opinions.
And finally, whatever you do, keep writing.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Getting 5-star ratings crushes my spirit :cry: I have a reputation to hold down!

Unless it's just a little typo or something, I don't change my story unless I get multiple comments on an issue.

Aleth08

Getting 5-star ratings crushes my spirit :cry: I have a reputation to hold down!

Unless it's just a little typo or something, I don't change my story unless I get multiple comments on an issue.
Nice. Many do succumb under the pressure tho. I have my own. Recent one is about my Mc's combat style. I'm writing a pure mage style MC[Necromancer/Mage]. But I've got several comments, on sh and rr, saying that I should increase my MC's strength stat, that he should learn some body refining art or something. Going hybrid mode is something I really hate, but people will push for their preferences I guess. At least majority of my readers support me and like my pure mage style MC.

Eleven_M.A.

You people get reviews! :blob_teary:
When you get a negative comment or a review, it crushes your spirit. No matter how veteran you become, I think this will never change. So when you experience this, remind yourself that you cant please everyone. No story will get a 100% positive feedback. Preference plays a big role in this. In this situation, try to read the positive feedback you got. It will remind you that your story is liked by someone. Its not all dark for you. And if you havent received any positive one yet, then wait. Someone will like it.
I believe it really helps to reflect on your story and who will like it, actually. It's good to have a clear image of readers you wish to reach - as well as readers you know won't like the story. It helps to 'calculate the risks', so to speak, and understand that sometimes you're simply bound to get criticised.

Some genres, topics and tropes are pretty divisive, attracting a lot of ire from some readers. Sometimes, you actually have to ruffle some feathers to make other people love your work. If you're writing slow burns, the readers who like fast-paced stories will find it boring. If you like certain well-established tropes, some people will call your work unoriginal. Find out who is not your readers and sieve their criticism through. Quite often, they don't criticise your work because of its quality; they criticise it simply because it exists.

This is especially true when you write on emotional topics. I've got my worst verbal abuse on a story in which I managed to connect to my reader's feelings. I knew I would - it shown something that certain readers are allergic to - so I took it as a sign that I did something right. If their reaction was so strong, then perhaps my target readers would react as strongly, but better.

Some will nitpick the shit out of your story from early on. And most of it will be based on their preferences. If you see such comments, try and ignore it. For it will neither help you improve nor will give you motivation.
This. As someone with professional background in giving feedback, I need to add: Most of it is also based on their ego. My most verbally abusive reader once told me in a review: "There are two ways of making a character smart. One is to make them smart, the other is to make everyone else look stupid." I laughed really hard because that's exactly how he operated IRL: He put other people down to make himself look smarter (when he couldn't do basic math right).

There are few easier, cheaper ways of boosting your self-esteem than criticising others. It puts you above them, gives you a sense of authority and power. Always, always be on a look-out for these types. If they start by ripping your works to shreds, they're not actually trying to help you. They're actively putting you down, and you can bet they have ulterior motives.

Aleth08

You people get reviews! :blob_teary:

I believe it really helps to reflect on your story and who will like it, actually. It's good to have a clear image of readers you wish to reach - as well as readers you know won't like the story. It helps to 'calculate the risks', so to speak, and understand that sometimes you're simply bound to get criticised.

Some genres, topics and tropes are pretty divisive, attracting a lot of ire from some readers. Sometimes, you actually have to ruffle some feathers to make other people love your work. If you're writing slow burns, the readers who like fast-paced stories will find it boring. If you like certain well-established tropes, some people will call your work unoriginal. Find out who is not your readers and sieve their criticism through. Quite often, they don't criticise your work because of its quality; they criticise it simply because it exists.

This is especially true when you write on emotional topics. I've got my worst verbal abuse on a story in which I managed to connect to my reader's feelings. I knew I would - it shown something that certain readers are allergic to - so I took it as a sign that I did something right. If their reaction was so strong, then perhaps my target readers would react as strongly, but better.

This. As someone with professional background in giving feedback, I need to add: Most of it is also based on their ego. My most verbally abusive reader once told me in a review: "There are two ways of making a character smart. One is to make them smart, the other is to make everyone else look stupid." I laughed really hard because that's exactly how he operated IRL: He put other people down to make himself look smarter (when he couldn't do basic math right).

There are few easier, cheaper ways of boosting your self-esteem than criticising others. It puts you above them, gives you a sense of authority and power. Always, always be on a look-out for these types. If they start by ripping your works to shreds, they're not actually trying to help you. They're actively putting you down, and you can bet they have ulterior motives.
Exactly. I've seen several such, even in recent times. Some were even super entitled people. One believed he had the right to curse or say anything he wanted about the story or even me just because he was increasing my reader count.