[for readers] what you consider a red flag when you're looking for a new story to read?

OP1000

Crossover fanfics where the characters from two/more different fandoms suddenly interact with each other. For example, character(s) from fandom A suddenly getting transported to fandom B and meeting characters from fandom B. I strongly prefer a crossover fanfic that integrates characters from different fandoms by making the characters that wouldn't canonically belong in the world of the fandom the story is set in a part of it while following the rules for the world the fanfic is set in. For example, characters from fandom A are born in world of fandom B and seeing how the story could be different with the addition of characters from fandom A.

hijauKuning

Wish-fulfilment with victimized male protag in harem and smut genre. I know I could've just stopped at 'wish-fulfilment' but this combination takes the cake. Sure you're a real nice guy while the whole femoids exist only to hurt you, or you just want a cozy harem story. But if you combine all of them + revenge/netori, you're just outing yourself at this point.

Futanari protag where if you replace them with alpha male, nothing changes at all for the story.

Loli/shota.

Suchende558

• GL written by a man (come on now i wanna read girls kissing girls written by a girl that kisses girls, as someone who also is a girl kissing girl)
  • Futanari (except MY novel (its bad don't read it) and heaven, earth, me. so fucking fire even if i no longer keep up bc it got lame like every ither cultivation novel out there
  • i guess Male protagonist too they either raging horny misogynist or indecisive fuck or just Bad Writing
  • politics idgaf i am a blatant leftist that hates other leftists whatever but if U say some retarded ass shit like Oh the libs!!! ot just The Commies or weirdly pro-monarchy imma just Drop It
  • using rape as a plot device like That One GL novel that has a system that the mc just gets raped all the time
  • omegaverse, mpreg
  • very obvious poorly hidden fetish
  • literally not justifying the text like COME ON!!!! ITS ONE BUTTON!!! IT LOOKS SO MUCH BETTER!!!!
  • not girls love or boys love i CANNOT read hetero stuff unless its manhwa and the art is pretty
  • overpowered protagonist if they are not like some deity (like isekai shoggoth is such a good novel that has op protagonist)
  • loli. shota. Inshallah fire is coming
long ass list bc i give everything atleast a 5 chapter trial run

Suchende558

Wish-fulfilment with victimized male protag in harem and smut genre. I know I could've just stopped at 'wish-fulfilment' but this combination takes the cake. Sure you're a real nice guy while the whole femoids exist only to hurt you, or you just want a cozy harem story. But if you combine all of them + revenge/netori, you're just outing yourself at this point.

Futanari protag where if you replace them with alpha male, nothing changes at all for the story.

Loli/shota.
im sory but what kind of thing is alpha male LMAOOOO

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
A story with good pacing and exciting scenes, all to be plundered with some weird phenomena... Like turning into a furry or strange creature, or a bunch of numbers, statistics, and opening system messages in the following pages...

One thing that erks me, especially with newer writers, is the transition or POV changes. Some stories do not need multiple POVs, and it's evident when the second character's perspective adds nothing to the story. I remember reading this one scene where a royal's daughter found a strange book of magic in her family's study and didn't understand the language. Next chapter changes to the POV of the mother, and apparently, this woman doesn't know anything about the book except for what her daughter reiterated... Waste of time and loses readership when people have to re-read a scene for a second time.

daroot1998

This may be an unpopular one, but a overly wordy, long winded synopses.

You may have a good story, but if I don't understand what I am about to read I am hard skipping.

Wolfbane

My biggest turnoff is bad grammar. If I have to read a sentence multiple times just to understand it then it is a lost cause. I know a lot of stories are prefaced by authors writing that english is not their first language but correct grammar and understandable sentences really matter.

Messing around with pronouns is another pet peeve of mine (and I'm not talking about the political multiple genders) if you introduce a character as a female and give her a female name then she should also go by she/her, not he/him. That is just confusing and an embarrasing error.

In terms of tags, I don't like BL and GL simply because they are often low quality (personal experience), filled with hate for the opposite gender and lacklustre characters that are just jammed together so they can fuck. The same is true of harems. Harems often lead to characters being sideline and cut down to one dimension. Another is LitRPG. LitRPG can work but I often see authors falling into the same traps of replacing character development with number increases on an artifical statline with an ever ballooning charactersheet. Character sheets filled withuseless info that is often just skimmed for changes or entirely skipped. Another issue is the author getting stuck in the numbers of stats that quickly lose meaning to the reader.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
Futanari, no one does it right.

Smut without anything to convince me that there is a plot.

A story that tries to be clever in not info dumping by...info dumping between actions.
i.e. I am doing the sneaky sneak to do the steb! The footsteps sound like a gnome, cue history lessons of gnomes for 2-3 paragraphs; steb. I was wrong! It was a goblin!

Having a "summary" of what to expect in the book in the synopsis.

BlissyMKW

A synopsis that reads like a character from the story narrating. I don't even know who this is yet, so why should I care what they're talking about.

No capitalization in the synopsis or first chapter. I drop that right away.

"This is my first time writing, so it might be bad," lines in the synopsis.

LitRPG within reason. I don't like them very much, but I won't instantly reject reading them.

AuntieMaysLittleCousin

Level 73 Practical Procastinator
Red flag huh...? Historical drama, tragedy... And all your typicall NTR, BL, GL, Harem (I stay away from those because they're almost always too cringy and poorly written) though double-dating is fine, for some reason. Oh, and especially getting filled on details I don't care over and over again is definitively a red flag. It's fine if they don't go in much details or do it to add some comedy into it (like me) but just things like 'the polished floor was made of blah blah blah and felt cold to the touch as he managed to blah blah blah stood up and blah blah blah'. Just get to the point.
I think that's it... probably.

D

Deleted member 54065

System board and the word 'level' on the first chapter. I hate litRPGs (just a personal preference).

aattss

One thing for me is when the summary explicitly says there isn't a harem or OP protagonist or whatever. Seems to me like the author is too focused on tropes or subverting them instead of whether the story is actually good, and if it was important to the story it would have been clear from the rest or the summary anyways making it redundant.

Not a fan of certain tags such as BL, NTR or futa, but I can filter those out, and they're only a moderately strong signal that I'll dislike the work.

The synopsis by itself is usually more than sufficient. It tells me a lot about the writer, and thus the work. These are my personal red flags:

The main thing is SPAG - when the synopsis (or god forbid, the title) is written with noticeably bad grammar, has missing punctuation, capitalizes random words, etc.

Imagine: You've spent hours (I hope) of your life writing a story. You get to write a summary of your work, something to draw readers in, the first thing any potential reader will see. Shouldn't you make sure that at the very least that looks readable? Apparently not. It's bewildering how many of them are so bad - like the author is completely unfamiliar with concepts such as spellchecking, thinking before you write something, double checking your work, googling unfamiliar words, this little thing called "editing". I know for a fact that even ESL children can write better, so neither is an excuse - not that you should ever admit you're underage on the internet.

The first sentence linking to a discord or begging the reader to do or not do things is annoying, as are most similar meta warnings. Unless it's warning me about prequel/sequel information or part of the work being missing, that's what the genre and tags are for. Also, when searching, only the first few sentences are visible without clicking on "more>>" - take advantage of that. Put everything that doesn't describe the actual story at the end.

The whole synopsis being a character talking about how he/she got isekai'd is weird and off-putting. Trying to be flowery and poetic can succeed, but usually doesn't. Talking like you're an anime character is insufferable. Addressing the readers directly can sound very narcissistic if you assume they'll love your work, and even if you don't.

But honestly, I can take all those, as long as it has capitalization and periods, and gets its/it's right. Often it doesn't.

After all of that is taken care of: You need something interesting. You need characters with clear motivations, a good premise/scenario, and some kind of conflict, ideally. The synopsis should give the reader a hint of what's to come. It's not a tl;dr of your first chapter. "John McExample was bullied, died, then the Goddess of Only Appearing in One Chapter sent him into Instant Harem World." Why? And why care for John McExample? What problems will he face?

I've observed that usually these kinds of problems cooccur with some others that you can truly call "red flags":
  • Ellipses with more than 3 dots (......)
  • More than two exclamation marks!!!
  • A male protagonist being some kind of ex-military special forces Rambo dude.
  • Mentioning real-life celebrities.
  • Criticizing other stories/authors in your synopsis.
  • Emphasis on the story being cold, dark, gritty, realistic, mature, etc.
  • Using foreign character names without justification.
  • Mentioning that the story is being rewritten.
I'm not sure why, but that list is on the money 99% of the time.

There's a lot more to say, but this reply is already too long.