Games that make you wait...

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
So I was playing this game called "They are Billions"
It's basically an RTS game where you build a defensive base to hold off against hordes of infected.

Anyway... this game makes you wait for swarms. Which means the mission which only took me 15 minutes to clear the map of infected instead takes 38 minutes to complete because I have to wait for the days to pass for a swarm.

Horrible game design.

Does anyone actually enjoy games that make you wait?

LilRora

Mostly formless
I don't play mobile games.
They are Billions isn't a mobile game though? It's for PC, maybe for consoles as well but I dunno. Unless it was a joke I didn't get, then do explain cause I've no idea.

I personally don't like such games at all. I haven't played They are Billions myself, but I watched quite a few videos about it and I did see the issue you're talking about. For me, when I was playing similar games, it was the worst feeling when I spent twenty minutes preparing for something, waiting for it to finally come, then realized I was either completely underprepared, made some stupid mistake that made me lose despite the fact I was prepared well, or the whole thing was so underwhelming that it didn't really feel like victory.

I think the issue here is that the complete lack of dynamism. The game should adapt to your progress to truly feel engaging and interesting, but there's no easy way to do that here short of making the horde come at varying time, which would bring a whole lot of new problems.

Kureous

Seeking the answers to all questions
90% of mobile games are about looking at a counter to incentivize people to spend on gems so they can skip the wait time, which can be days.
It's why I stopped playing Clash of Clans...

LilRora

Mostly formless
Having games make you wait can be a useful game design tool. It creates a sense of pacing and separates various parts of action. Like in writing an action story, you write the action and instead of writing another one right after you slow things down and give a break
That's not wrong, but I think the issue is with games that make you wait because of faulty or just inflexible design, not as a game mechanic. To continue the action story comparison, it's like the author set an event to happen after a certain time, and he completed everything he wanted to happen before that but continues writing and delaying despite that instead of just getting on with what's set to happen.

Overall, yes, break time can be useful, it's arguably even necessary, both in writing and in games. It has to be break time though, not stretching the waiting time before the anticipated moment. In games it's generally the break between separate levels/locations/fights that does it.

Succubiome

Overall, yes, break time can be useful, it's arguably even necessary, both in writing and in games. It has to be break time though, not stretching the waiting time before the anticipated moment. In games it's generally the break between separate levels/locations/fights that does it.

Yeah, agreed-- the vast majority of games make you wait, and you're probably fine with it-- as long as they don't make you wait unreasonable or unfun amounts of time.

Without waiting, you'd be constantly doing maximum inputs, like a competitive PvP RTS or something(ironically), which, although some people enjoy, are a bit much for most people. I'd imagine the waiting probably sticks out even more in They Are Billions precisely because usually there are things you can be using your APM for in RTSes.

Some people do also enjoy (on some level) games that literally make you wait large amounts of time, though-- Pathologique comes to mind.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
I plan a lot of VR chat world with this same premise, is called "bus to nowhere", that is a lot like a point and click adventure, with everything and their ultra weird puzzles. But the thing is that a lot of things depends on where place is the bus going and in what time, also have a lots of endings.

One of which is that the bus was in fact going to one place after all, you just have to wait, like at least 12 hours.

Which is a fucking lot because it had to be done on one single sit non stop

Bluebery

Serpent Keeper
Genshin Impact.

I have to wait for resin to refill so I can farm things to level up my waifus

BigBadBoi

It's basically an RTS game where you build a defensive base to hold off against hordes of infected.

Anyway... this game makes you wait for swarms. Which means the mission which only took me 15 minutes to clear the map of infected instead takes 38 minutes to complete because I have to wait for the days to pass for a swarm.

Horrible game design.

Seems like the game just needs a fast forward button honestly. An RTS without it will definitely feel slow.

Lloyd

Professional Writer

Horrible game design.

They do that so slow retarded people can enjoy the game too man

Graceful_Ghost

1701952613837.jpg

Well...

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I think the issue here is that the complete lack of dynamism. The game should adapt to your progress to truly feel engaging and interesting, but there's no easy way to do that here short of making the horde come at varying time, which would bring a whole lot of new problems.
They could make a skip to horde button, but the developer has gone silent.
Play it on 800% difficulty.
I am.
Or I did.

Anyway, I decided to quit the game and move on. I used like RTS games but I realize why they went out of popularity.