GED Stigma

Pixxie

I'm writing a story about a Texan teen who failed his STAAR retake test as a senior and won't be graduating from high school. I'm wondering if there is the stigma against people who have GEDs over a high school diplomas?

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
I am unsure. Personally never ask if somebody had graduated or not. Socially, it doesn't really come up and only snobs would care anyway.

Colleges and employment might be a different story, however. They usually prefer a high school diploma, i think. But, If you get a college degree not even employment will care.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I've heard that getting a GED is harder, so no stigma.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
No one cares. In fact, the most successful person I know dropped out of school. He dropped out to make MONEY. That's the difference.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I've heard that getting a GED is harder, so no stigma.
i have a niece who did that. She just didnt like going to school and dropped out, so she had to get a GED and later bitched about it saying she should've just stayed.

It makes sense. Its the same amount of work if not more, except now you dont got any breaks or talk to friends cuz THEY'RE in school and you aint

melchi

What is a custom title?
The only ones who might care are universities. Generally though, for the employers who hire people for jobs that just need a high school education they would care more about work ethic / practical stuff more. Ever heard of someone who got fired for faking their high school diploma? I doubt many would care even if they found out.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I'm writing a story about a Texan teen who failed his STAAR retake test as a senior and won't be graduating from high school. I'm wondering if there is the stigma against people who have GEDs over a high school diplomas?
you can literally google "are GEDs looked down upon" and find out on your own. Socially, i dunno, but in the eyes of employers the difference is "very negligible" and to be honest it makes sense because no one gives a damn about high school diplomas, which is what a GED is equivalent to. They aren't impressive like a Phd.

Simple questions like these, you can just google. Try to make the search as short as you can, though. Anything more than like 7 words makes google give inaccurate results. Remember that a lot of questions YOU may have, a lot of other people probably have had too unless its VERY specific to you. So, learn to trust Google more before you start threads.

Im saying that just to save you time.

K5Rakitan

i have a niece who did that. She just didnt like going to school and dropped out, so she had to get a GED and later bitched about it saying she should've just stayed.

It makes sense. Its the same amount of work if not more, except now you dont got any breaks or talk to friends cuz THEY'RE in school and you aint
That's also going to depend a lot on how self-motivated you are when it comes to learning and if you've managed to find friends outside of school. I've talked in other places about how I don't want to spoil my kid's intrinsic enjoyment of learning by forcing him into school before he's ready.

He's almost 2 now and knows 8 letters, possibly more, but it's difficult to tell when he's still learning to talk. He's pretty much learning to talk and read at the same time. He gets really excited when he notices signs on walks and points at the letters while I make sounds for him. He's been picking up more numbers, too. I'm getting more and more confident that he'll be reading on his own by 3, though I'm sure he'll stop frequently to ask me questions.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Only colleges care. Most employers don't if you have a college degree if required. If it's just a job that doesn't require college, they don't care. Only reason Colleges care is because people who get the GED tend to be self-motivated and maybe haven't been forced to sit in class (which is basically what college is).

Vocational schools probably don't care. Depends on what the person is wanting to do as a career.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Only colleges care. Most employers don't if you have a college degree if required. If it's just a job that doesn't require college, they don't care. Only reason Colleges care is because people who get the GED tend to be self-motivated and maybe haven't been forced to sit in class (which is basically what college is).

Vocational schools probably don't care. Depends on what the person is wanting to do as a career.
almost every education system is just a way to instill obedience into the population. Education and excellence come secondary, these days.

Kenjona

STAAR is not a graduating requirement. It is used for school rating purposes only, it does affect funding provided by the Texas State Government to schools.
The assessment in Virginia is called SOL.
For New York they just call it standardized testing.

The GED has no stigma attached to it in the regular working world here in the United States, for the most part, there are always assholes.

For college what counts is your Scores in the ACT and/or SAT, then your high school GPA, then your high school courses taken, then a lot of other stuff in descending order. So just having a GED would hurt you there, but would not prevent you from going to college, you just would not get into a high end college at first. A 2 year college then to a four year college and so forth working your way up the college rankings as it were proving you can do the course work.

Enlisted Military Service requires a High School Diploma or a GED and through a test called an ASVAB, the various scores on that would indicate what job you would qualify for in the service you are applying for.

Sorry had to reedit some of what I wrote earlier.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

This thread led me to look up some more stuff, and it turns out that parents can opt out of STAAR in California. If my son does choose to go to school, I can let him choose if he wants to do STAAR as well. I kinda liked those tests because I always did extremely well on them, but I think we could make better use of that time with a one-on-one field trip, enjoying places that would usually be quite crowded. Maybe it would be a good idea for him to take the test every other year, just so he doesn't panic when he gets around to SATs, ACTs, AP exams, etc. I can tell him why I think it would be good to practice with STAAR, and ultimately I think he'll get the most out of it if he feels relaxed and confident going into it because it's his choice to be there.