Gender swap focus

Agasthenes

Im looking for stories with gender swap that explore the arising problems in more detail.

Like, differing expectations in society, dealing with the new body, new sexual attractions.

Basically not "oh I have tits, let's build a female only harem".

Perferable as little as possible f/f. Harem is fine if it's a reverse harem.

Skadia

Check out the transgender tag for that kind of stuff, though dodging f/f isn't going to be easy
Here are a few titles for you that should do it:

In Another Life
Gift of The Unicorn
Endallia (very short)
Working Out Issues (realistic transition)

Everything by Ovid Lemma has a good mix of F/F M/F and M/M otherwise.

People who usually go deeper into what turning into another gender means are usually trans lesbians, so f/f is often prominent there.

Angelwolf

I will be writing about a Gender Swap soon, whose Sexuality changes, M/F. I will also be making it a series, though the MC's will change, the crucial element of the fIrst MC's change will stick with the other books in the series. If you would like, you can check out the first chapter of it on my Patreon http://www.patreon.com/Angelwolf

Reactions: CL

CL

Im looking for stories with gender swap that explore the arising problems in more detail.

Like, differing expectations in society, dealing with the new body, new sexual attractions.

Basically not "oh I have tits, let's build a female only harem".

Perferable as little as possible f/f. Harem is fine if it's a reverse harem.
Strangely enough (and probably for the better), I believe anything other than f/f has become a dying breed of a theme for TG stories. It didn't used to be that way, but the problems (yes, I saw them as problematic when reviewers called castrated children "cute") it had associated with it (when it was the popular kid on the playground) was that they were dark and bleak stories (we're talking about non-con stuff). Those were also written (mostly) by straight guys who got some orgasmic powertrip forcibly feminizing whomever they desired (or hated). The trans-lesbian stories really skyrocketed in popularity because most of those authors wrote them to be wholesome.

You can find a lot of TG/GB stories that are not f/f/, but I want you to know that most of them are hard to read.

I was suggested to add this statement below (which I also agree does happen too):
"I think that is no blunter than the context requires. it may be a factor in that question that there's a set of sissificiation or forced femme stories that get tagged as F/F even though the protagonist continues to identify as male or any change is nonconsensual."

Nari

Strangely enough (and probably for the better), I believe anything other than f/f has become a dying breed of a theme for TG stories. It didn't used to be that way, but the problems (yes, I saw them as problematic when reviewers called castrated children "cute") it had associated with it (when it was the popular kid on the playground) was that they were dark and bleak stories (we're talking about non-con stuff). Those were also written (mostly) by straight guys who got some orgasmic powertrip forcibly feminizing whomever they desired (or hated). The trans-lesbian stories really skyrocketed in popularity because most of those authors wrote them to be wholesome.

You can find a lot of TG/GB stories that are not f/f/, but I want you to know that most of them are hard to read.

I was suggested to add this statement below (which I also agree does happen too):
most gender benders tend to be f/f for three reasons, which are very different but one of them is always the case.

1. the Author wants to write a lesbian harem cuz its hot, but doesnt want to actually write about lesbians cuz "muh gay people" so they pass it off as really being straight cuz MC is "actually a guy" .... this tends to be more common in chinese genderbenders but i have see a few on SH and RR.

2. the author is a lesbian. self explanatory really, they write their own experiences.

3. the author thinks genderbender where the MC becomes a girl and ends up liking guys is "comphet" or "compelled heterosexuality" .. they dont like the thought that peoples sexuality changes to be straight because of their gender. which in my experience, half the comphet claims are actually assumptions. like ive seen novels where the MCs sexuality was never once mentioned but the moment he (now she) ends up falling for guys people drop it for 'comphet' which ..... just means they ASSUMED the MC was straight, when it was never said that they were. which isnt really a good thing to do. authors who dislike comphet will sometimes end up doing the reverse in revenge and have their gay man MC end up liking girls when his gender changes so that he remains gay/lesbian. and tbh thats equally as bad.

anyway, its why i skip a lot of the GB novels on SH even though i really like GB novels: its 90% girls love, and tbh I'll even take no romance over girls love, its just oversaturated and as im not a lesbian myself (trans het) i just cant relate. its the same issue with the oversaturation of fox girls. like even when given a choice by the author between really cool arachne girls and such, the readers *always* choose foxgirls, and frankly it gets pretty old

TheMangaGod

NOT a Yandere Imouto Loli Goddess I Swear
I have 3 novels that I'm currently working on that are all GB genre. And not a one is dark!

Reactions: CL

TheMangaGod

NOT a Yandere Imouto Loli Goddess I Swear
most gender benders tend to be f/f for three reasons, which are very different but one of them is always the case.

1. the Author wants to write a lesbian harem cuz its hot, but doesnt want to actually write about lesbians cuz "muh gay people" so they pass it off as really being straight cuz MC is "actually a guy" .... this tends to be more common in chinese genderbenders but i have see a few on SH and RR.

2. the author is a lesbian. self explanatory really, they write their own experiences.

3. the author thinks genderbender where the MC becomes a girl and ends up liking guys is "comphet" or "compelled heterosexuality" .. they dont like the thought that peoples sexuality changes to be straight because of their gender. which in my experience, half the comphet claims are actually assumptions. like ive seen novels where the MCs sexuality was never once mentioned but the moment he (now she) ends up falling for guys people drop it for 'comphet' which ..... just means they ASSUMED the MC was straight, when it was never said that they were. which isnt really a good thing to do. authors who dislike comphet will sometimes end up doing the reverse in revenge and have their gay man MC end up liking girls when his gender changes so that he remains gay/lesbian. and tbh thats equally as bad.

anyway, its why i skip a lot of the GB novels on SH even though i really like GB novels: its 90% girls love, and tbh I'll even take no romance over girls love, its just oversaturated and as im not a lesbian myself (trans het) i just cant relate. its the same issue with the oversaturation of fox girls. like even when given a choice by the author between really cool arachne girls and such, the readers *always* choose foxgirls, and frankly it gets pretty old
I have a novel that has a Arachne MC, another that has a Fairy MC and a third that has a Lamia MC. I'll be starting another novel in January with a Harpy MC.

chaoticflesh

This is kajarainbow signing in an alternative account because for some reason the forums won't recognize my main account. This is my first time using the forums.

I doubt 3 is quite as common as you think but comphet is a real issue in some stories, where the MC is forced to like guys even if they liked girls exclusively before. I've seen stories that used female hormones or otherwise being in a female body as an excuse when lesbians do exist. It's one thing if it's a process of discovery where it's a transgender girl who realizes she liked guys all along, quite another if it's an actual change in their preferences because of the transformation. In general stories where the MC experience mental changes such as becoming more stereotypically feminine or changing their orientation are essentially mind control and should be labeled as such while stories where they realize that they liked those things all along are not mind control.

For authors who don't want to unintentionally write a mind control story but want to write a genderbender story, here are my recommendations.

Option one: make the MC transgender all along. In other words, they get changed in a line more in tune with their true self and are happy about it. It might take them a while to realize why they're so happy about it. If you go this route and aren't transgender, I recommend consulting with someone who is. I don't mind people contacting me for this. Likewise if you want to have them like guys, make them like guys all along, they just were afraid of admitting it or were hiding it or something.

Option two, just make the MC flexible. They were fine with a masculine body and are fine with their now feminine body. This doesn't mean that you can't write them getting used to their new body, suddenly switching to a different body is a weird experience after all. But just have their overall attitude be something like "this is weird but ultimately doesn't bother me that much" or "yeah whatever shrug" or something. Likewise for sexual attractions, just make them bi all along and hook up them with a guy or whatever.

Option three, have them hate it. Hate their body, hate the expectations others put upon them just hate everything associated with the change and actively seek to change back. This is both rough to write and rough to read but it's a legit option, just hard to pull off in a fun way if you're just looking to write a fun story.

Note that the MC's interests won't change just because they are in a new body. If they liked working on cars, they'll still like working on cars. But they might feel more comfortable pursuing interests they had all along but were afraid of people judging them for, like doll-making. Likewise, they might get pulled by someone else into a new hobby and realize they like it.

Likewise with cloth styles, they might stay with their old style with just some small adjustments for their body's new dimensions, like adding a bra underneath their polo shirt. Or they might wear things they wanted to wear but were afraid to. Or discover that skirts are actually comfy and add some into their wardrobe. Or they might be the sort to go with the flow and wear whatever others pick out for them.

My point is that organic changes are fine but abrupt ones can come off as mind control.

chaoticflesh

Also gender bender can be a fun vessel for having the MC realize parts of themselves they weren't aware of.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
:blob_pat_sad: Unfortunately transhet is a minority and I wish there were more of us! :blob_paint:

That said, this is my genre, and I pretty much only write trans/nb x male romance (sometimes I do cishet romance though).

I don't do sissification though... it doesn't really appeal to me, I guess?

For me, I nearly always start with questioning protagonists or protagonists who already leaned that way, although sometimes I might throw in a self-denial element.

Anecdotally speaking though, sexuality can change (at least, it sort of has for me)! I thought I liked women growing up, but once I hit 20 years old or so I swung hard the other way. I have almost zero sexual interest in women now. :blob_no: I also don't have as much patience for reading gl... but for some reason I'm happy reading bl......

Agasthenes

Thank you all for your plentiful recommendations and insights, this is a lot of material to work through.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
:blob_pat_sad: Unfortunately transhet is a minority and I wish there were more of us! :blob_paint:

That said, this is my genre, and I pretty much only write trans/nb x male romance (sometimes I do cishet romance though).

For me, I nearly always start with questioning protagonists or protagonists who already leaned that way, although sometimes I might throw in a self-denial element.

Anecdotally speaking though, sexuality can change (at least, it sort of has for me)! I thought I liked women growing up, but once I hit 20 years old or so I swung hard the other way. I have almost zero sexual interest in women now. :blob_no: I also don't have as much patience for reading gl... but for some reason I'm happy reading bl......
What is sissification?

Nari

its a scientifically proven fact that hormones have an affect on sexuality, someone who THOUGHT they only liked girls may go on hrt and then find out later that they actually like guys as well. most people their preferences barely change, some have a complete opposite swing.

im a good example, as a teen i couldn't even imagine myself being with guys, i liked girls, or atleast, tomboys but that was it. after taking HRT i now basically consider myself straight, i like guys so much now that my little inkling of attraction i had for tomboys is relatively small, its still there, its just my attraction for men now is just that strong.

which is one reason i dont really like all the accusations of comphet i see for any story where a guy who has a girlfriend ends up liking guys. believe it or not, its scientifically proven hormones can affect sexuality (i believe this also lends credence to the theory that everyone is technically bisexual at a base level but we develop preferences, hence why hormones can play an affect, but meh) so these stories arent completely unrealistic

Nari

What is sissification?
guys being forced to be a girl via crossdressing, usually their girlfriend forces them to wear very feminine and girly clothes and punishes them for acting boyish. its a kink.

NotYourTypicalMan

Exhausted Member
guys being forced to be a girl via crossdressing, usually their girlfriend forces them to wear very feminine and girly clothes and punishes them for acting boyish. its a kink.
Well, i learn something new today.

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
its a scientifically proven fact that hormones have an affect on sexuality, someone who THOUGHT they only liked girls may go on hrt and then find out later that they actually like guys as well. most people their preferences barely change, some have a complete opposite swing.

im a good example, as a teen i couldn't even imagine myself being with guys, i liked girls, or atleast, tomboys but that was it. after taking HRT i now basically consider myself straight, i like guys so much now that my little inkling of attraction i had for tomboys is relatively small, its still there, its just my attraction for men now is just that strong.

which is one reason i dont really like all the accusations of comphet i see for any story where a guy who has a girlfriend ends up liking guys. believe it or not, its scientifically proven hormones can affect sexuality (i believe this also lends credence to the theory that everyone is technically bisexual at a base level but we develop preferences, hence why hormones can play an affect, but meh) so these stories arent completely unrealistic
I think it's definitely something that varies though, in the your-mileage-can-vary kind of way. ^^ Like I know a lot of trans folk who are exclusively lesbian and so forth and didn't change as much after hrt.

For me personally, uh, I've never been on hrt. I'm sort of transfemme nonbinary, so for me I totally flopped out of nowhere lol.

I mean, it's always difficult to analyze myself, but I think when I started questioning my gender I conveniently started questioning my sexuality at the same time -- and ended up open to things that I wasn't open to before. Tack on a bunch of other IRL experiences, and the end product was sort of just me realizing that maybe I wasn't really into women as much.

Aoibh

Mademoiselle
strange...

sereminar

i'd recommend just using advanced search and banning gl while typing in "transgender" into the tag search. That should get you a lot of good gender feels without the lesbian romance xD