Resolved Genre filter doesn't work for Trending

tiaf

ゞ(シㅇ3ㅇ)っ•♥•Speak fishy, read BL.•♥•
I have my filters for one genre enabled only (Boys Love), but the current 'Trending' that is shown to me has way too many genres and tags I dislike.

The 'Latest Series' section and 'Latest Updates' section works fine, just not trending :blob_teary:
I thought it was just me, but my friend has the same problem.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
Summary of my findings: From some random genres I tried, only BL does not seem to work.
But having BL included also leads to all other filtering, both includes and excludes being ignored.
You can exclude BL and everything works as expected.

Last edited:

tiaf

Works for me.

So whatever this is it's not total failure of the system, or intentional.

Another observation: From some random genres I tried, only BL does not seem to work.

Perhaps to few works to show, so it ignores the rule?
It's a recent problem! I had trending with just two or three books.

But it suddenly didn't work anymore...

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
It's a recent problem! I had trending with just two or three books.

But it suddenly didn't work anymore...
Yeah, Mecha currently has 2 as well and that works as intended.

But so far, BL is the only genre i tested that the filter ignores.

So either the tag filtering uses some mask or map that's not up to date or Tony's trolling you

xiaomangisbusy

It doesn't work the opposite way either when I try to block genres instead of release filtering for them.
I tried to block 'litRPG, 'harem' and 'isekai' one at a time to test but they still showed up in trending.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
It doesn't work the opposite way either when I try to block genres instead of release filtering for them.
I tried to block 'litRPG, 'harem' and 'isekai' one at a time to test but they still showed up in trending.
If you uncheck BL it works for me.

But it seems that having BL checked leads to the filtering being skipped altogether.
Exclude works fine, even with BL, but not include.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
Not a bug, this is a feature of the system.

If your filter is strong enough to the point that 0 novels would be shown, the filter is ignored.

There are 0 novels currently on the top 50 of trending that have the Boys' Love genre. This is why your filter isn't working.

Once a BL novel reappears on trending, your filter will work again.

tiaf

Just show me nothing if there is no BL trending.

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger

If your filter is strong enough to the point that 0 novels would be shown, the filter is ignored.

There are 0 novels currently on the top 50 of trending that have the Boys' Love genre. This is why your filter isn't working.

Heh, so my initial guess was correct and I got worked up over nothing, lel

xiaomangisbusy

Oof darn that's annoying. Is this a new recent thing?? Because I have been on SH almost daily since April and I've never had this issue even when there were no BL novels in the top 50 (if we're talking about overall). I was always still shown trending novels within the BL genre.

I hope this isn't permanent because this feature also gets rid of all my efforts to block all the genres I'm not interested in just because BL is unpopular.

Last edited:

AliceShiki

Oof darn that's annoying. Is this a new recent thing?? Because I have been on SH almost daily since April and I've never had this issue even when there were no BL novels in the top 50 (if we're talking about overall). I was always still shown trending novels within the BL genre.

I hope this isn't permanent because this feature also gets rid of all my efforts to block all the genres I'm not interested in just because BL is unpopular.
I dunno the exact number of stories that need to fail to meet your filter tbh, I just didn't bother with checking past the top 50.

As for it being new, it's actually been a thing since the start I think. The first time I saw it being mentioned was in November 2020 though, in this thread: https://forum.scribblehub.com/threa...the-trending-i-think-this-is-not-a-joke.3409/

Tony's exact reply is the following:
It's actually not a bug and it was programmed that way. If there's zero results in the trending page due to your filtering options, I made it display the default trending list instead.

AliceShiki

:blob_hmm_two: So genre-specific trending doesn't exist?
Trending is just one list. All that the filter does is removing the novels that don't fit your filter.

And if 0 novels fit your filter, you are shown the default list.

xiaomangisbusy

Trending is just one list. All that the filter does is removing the novels that don't fit your filter.

And if 0 novels fit your filter, you are shown the default list.

Aww, that's a shame for writers and readers of less popular genres then. If the trending list is set to a specific number and not a % of the total, that means as SH grows and the discrepancy in genre popularity naturally increases via the sheer number of novels, it becomes increasingly likely for unpopular genres to not be on the trending page even when readers who like them try to set up filters for it.

Update: The trending list just turned back normal now for BL filtered lists as soon as it hit the refresh time. So I think your explanation is correct about why BL novels aren't showing up.

Last edited:

LinXueLian

Always Handsome
Mmm.... I get showing the default list to an extent, but would it be alright to change it to show "nothing found for now, please try to see if series in the other filters are trending" instead? It's a minor thing, but it will make the listing look more accurate. Otherwise it might look like a bug, get reported often and clog up the bug report section...

AliceShiki

Mmm.... I get showing the default list to an extent, but would it be alright to change it to show "nothing found for now, please try to see if series in the other filters are trending" instead? It's a minor thing, but it will make the listing look more accurate. Otherwise it might look like a bug, get reported often and clog up the bug report section...
I mean... This was reported twice in 3 years... And one of the reports was from someone that was just testing random stuff on the filter.

I think it's unlikely that this will clog up the bug reports subforum.