Grammar problem I've absolutely no idea what to do with

LilRora

Mostly formless
So, basically, I want you to read this sentence and tell me what you make of it:

The steps were coming from her left, so there was a good chance she did not meet whatever was making the noise.

I mean the narration in particular, what does the narrator know about the events being described.

What my problem is here is the fact that my default interpretation is that the narrator did not learn if she met the thing and is simply speculating, while I want the narrator to be a direct observer of the events, not one that recounts the tale afterwards. I was thinking of replacing 'did not' with 'would not' or 'would not have', but... I'm not sure if either works?

What are your thoughts about it?

Oh, and I'm gonna say it now. I'm not looking for proffesional opinion. I spent last hour trying to choose either of the three options by logic and it only got me more confused. What I'm looking for is impressions, specifically first thoughts about where in time the narrator is.

K_Jira

maybe take out the 'good chance'? I think that what makes it sound like a speculation.

The steps were coming from her left, so she did not meet whatever was making the noise.

Something like this?

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
The steps faded into the distance, without whatever made them ever coming in sight.
?

LilRora

Mostly formless
maybe take out the 'good chance'? I think that what makes it sound like a speculation.

The steps were coming from her left, so she did not meet whatever was making the noise.

Something like this?
The steps faded into the distance, without ever coming in sight.
Those would be good suggestions, but it's not really what I'm talking about. What I want is for the narrator to state it as a fact, as in 'we probably won't meet it', but said in the past. It's supposed to be an uncertain future for the character that the narrator is going to learn about sometime further into the story.

...Does that even make sense? Because really, the more I think about it, the more I suspect it's impossible to say exactly that in English.

Dieter

the Writer
yours >The steps were coming from her left, so there was a good chance she did not meet whatever was making the noise.
mine (therefore better) >The steps came from her left. There was a good chance she missed whosoever was the cause of that noise.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I was thinking of replacing 'did not' with 'would not' or 'would not have', but... I'm not sure if either works?
This is valid English. No issue if that's really what you want.
The steps were coming from her left, so there was a good chance she wouldn't meet whatever was making the noise.

My issue is lack of context. I don't understand the reasoning of 'Steps to the left, no meeting'. My feeling is that the paragraph needs to be rewritten, not just this sentence.

K_Jira

Those would be good suggestions, but it's not really what I'm talking about. What I want is for the narrator to state it as a fact, as in 'we probably won't meet it', but said in the past. It's supposed to be an uncertain future for the character that the narrator is going to learn about sometime further into the story.

...Does that even make sense? Because really, the more I think about it, the more I suspect it's impossible to say exactly that in English.
Then, maybe make this in past tense? As in:

The steps were coming from her left. There was a good chance she wouldn't meet whatever was making the noise.

I feel like there'll be a 'but' after this sentence though. Is the context following this that this girl will actually meet whatever is making the noise? I think using didn't or wouldn't should be fine either way. English is my second language though so I'm no expert :sweat_smile:

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
The sentence feels as if a sudden realization happened. She thought she met what made the noise, then heard footsteps to her left, and now thinks she didn’t meet what made the noise.

LilRora

Mostly formless
This is valid English. No issue if that's really what you want.
The steps were coming from her left, so there was a good chance she wouldn't meet whatever was making the noise.

My issue is lack of context. I don't understand the reasoning of 'Steps to the left, no meeting'. My feeling is that the paragraph needs to be rewritten, not just this sentence.
Then, maybe make this in past tense? As in:

The steps were coming from her left. There was a good chance she wouldn't meet whatever was making the noise.

I feel like there'll be a 'but' after this sentence though. Is the context following this that this girl will actually meet whatever is making the noise? I think using didn't or wouldn't should be fine either way. English is my second language though so I'm no expert :sweat_smile:
Mmm, I think this will work? Still not exactly what I want it to be, but I don't think English will let me make it better.

Thanks for the help.

The sentence feels as if a sudden realization happened. She thought she met what made the noise, then heard footsteps to her left, and now thinks she didn’t meet what made the noise.
...Damn. Didn't even realize it could be interpreted this way. So now that option's out, probably.

sanitylimited

the problem with the sentence is its mystery baiting bs. an extremly cheap way to keep people hooked into the story by keeping things as vague as possible.

another problem is the direction of the sound is irrelevent as to why they can or cant see what is there. their isnt enough context of the situation to improve the sentence

IdleYoungMaster

This sentence's tricky to be honest. You wanted the narrator to state it with certainty but in past tense. Does it mean that the narrator does not know about everything? Or does it mean that the narrator is an omniscient one? Reading your words made me feel there's a contradiction on what you envision this sentence.
The steps were coming from her left, so there was a good chance she did not meet whatever was making the noise.

Here's my take on it:
"The footsteps came towards her left. Most likely, she would not meet the source of the noise."
(Since the steps came from her left, the chances of meeting the one who made it diminished. This is a future tense. Probably your best bet is this tense.)
"The footsteps came towards her left. In the end, she did not meet the source of the noise."
(Because the footsteps came towards her left, she did not meet the said source. This is a past tense. It has the 'certainty' that you have requested.)

If you see what's going on, having future tense and certainty is difficult to express in English. It is better to choose one of the two tenses in my opinion.

LilRora

Mostly formless
This sentence's tricky to be honest. You wanted the narrator to state it with certainty but in past tense. Does it mean that the narrator does not know about everything? Or does it mean that the narrator is an omniscient one? Reading your words made me feel there's a contradiction on what you envision this sentence.
...I don't even know anymore. Am in misery. The narrator is supposed to have limited knowledge and speak as if he was narrating events as they were happening.

I think I arrived at a similar conclusion to you though. Thanks for the help.

I'll probably get more confused tomorrow, but well.

IdleYoungMaster

...I don't even know anymore. Am in misery. The narrator is supposed to have limited knowledge and speak as if he was narrating events as they were happening.

I think I arrived at a similar conclusion to you though. Thanks for the help.

I'll probably get more confused tomorrow, but well.
I see. Maybe you could try 'might' or 'should' since the narrator has limited knowledge. Good luck!

Biko

However, the steps came from her left. So the chances of meeting whoever made that noise should be lessened.

? Idk if that works.

the sentence is logically flawed. "there was a good chance" denotes uncertainty of the future but here it's used in the past.

The steps were coming from her left, so there was a good chance she wasn't meeting whatever was making the noise.
The steps were coming from her left, so there was a good chance she wouldn't be meeting whatever was making the noise.

Last edited: