Have you ever read a story with no internal-monologue?

BlackKnightX

As we all know, internal-monologue can help bring characters to life. It makes readers understand why some characters do what they do, what their motivations are, and empathize with them.

But, when we watch a movie, we don’t get to know the character’s thoughts. We can only guess their thoughts and their motivations from the actions they take and the conversations they have.

So dialogue and action are very important in this case.

But, what if you wanna try to imitate that movie experience in your story? What if you exclude one of the most advantageous elements in writing, internal-monologue, from your story?

What if you can only show the character’s thoughts through action and dialogue?

Would it make the story movie-like? Maybe, the story will be richer with lots of contexts?

Now, I know that movie and book are different. In movie, you can see character’s expression and their tone of voice, and there’re also the soundtracks to spike the mood up.

In book, you don’t have any of those. You only have your words to create magic.

But, what if you still wanna try to write a movie-like story despite knowing all that? Would your story become too dry and boring? Too cold? Too confusing?

Would excluding internal-monologue from from your story resulting in bad story? What do you think?

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
As we all know, internal-monologue can help bring characters to life. It makes readers understand why some characters do what they do, what their motivations are, and empathize with them.

But, when we watch a movie, we don’t get to know the character’s thoughts. We can only guess their thoughts and their motivations from the actions they take and the conversations they have.

But, what if you wanna try to imitate that movie experience in your story? What if you exclude one of the most advantageous elements in writing, internal-monologue, from your story?

Would it make the story movie-like? Maybe, the story will be richer with lots of contexts?

Now, I know that movie and book are different. In movie, you can see character’s expression and their tone of voice, and there’re also the soundtracks to spike the mood up.

But, what if you still wanna try to write a movie-like story despite knowing all that? Would your story become too dry and boring? Too cold? Too confusing?

Would excluding internal-monologue from from your story resulting in bad story? What do you think?
A lot of japanese stories do this. Japanese stories tend to be dialogue heavy. Things like inner monologues arent needed anyway in the kind of style they use. Its will just be harder to picture because those kind of stories usually also have very little in the way of descriptive writing

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
?
Movies have internal monologues too. Quite the number of movies have very important moments where internal monologue is delivered, making the scene hit harder. Interstellar has internal monologues that bring massive impact to the scene. Limitless. American Psycho.

Internal monologue is a thing in movies and storytelling in general.
A lot of japanese stories do this. Japanese stories tend to be dialogue heavy. Things like inner monologues arent needed anyway in the kind of style they use. Its will just be harder to picture because those kind of stories usually also have very little in the way of descriptive writing
Considering you can say "what?" in 20 different ways, and each will tell the reader how the character says it, feels about it, the expression, posture, etc., it's more about how things are lost in translation.

Last edited:

BlackKnightX

?
Movies have internal monologues too. Quite the number of movies have very important moments where internal monologue is delivered, making the scene hit harder. Interstellar has internal monologues that bring massive impact to the scene. Limitless. American Psycho.

Internal monologue is a thing in movies and storytelling in general.
Oh, you mean the ‘voice-over’ in movie? I mean, you can do that in book too, obviously. But when I said internal-monologue, I mean a long introspective prose.

In the movie, the voice-over is just the short thoughts of the character in that moment, almost like a dialogue. It doesn’t go too long like in a book. And it also considered to be a ‘cheap trick’.

I don’t complain, though, since anime relies on tons of this. But it‘s still way different from the introspective prose in book, where it includes every bit and details into it.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
Although I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, I think it's entirely possible.

You know how in anime characters tend to overreact a lot so it's easy to read their emotions?

Yeah, it's basically just gonna be like that but in word form.

Biggest-Kusa-Out-There

Futanari Enjoyer
Oh, you mean the ‘voice-over’ in movie? I mean, you can do that in book too, obviously. But when I said internal-monologue, I mean a long introspective prose.

In the movie, the voice-over is just the short thoughts of the character in that moment, almost like a dialogue. It doesn’t go too long like in a book. And it also considered to be a ‘cheap trick’.

I don’t complain, though, since anime relies on tons of this. But it‘s still way different from the introspective prose in book, where it includes every bit and details into it.

When you say 'internal monologue' do you mean narration of ideas? Or the instant-to-instant thoughts? Because those are completely different and do exist in movies as well. How do you present them in a movie without being a voice over? We literally can't hear other people's thoughts.

In Robert Downey Jr's Sherlok Holmes, the 'discombobulate' scene is internal monologue. He's thinking of what to do and then does it.

In American Psycho, when Bateman enters his victim's apartment we hear his thoughts. Other scenes have his thoughts as well. The scene of '"There is a moment of sheer panic - when I realise Paul's apartment overlooks the park and is obviously more expensive than mine". That's the thoght process of a psychopath.

In teen-dramas we see the protagonist often follow their dialogue with "No, that was cringe" with their voiceover or something along those lines and panicking at the same time.

I doubt there is a single book where the author doesn't refer to the characters thoughts with: 'Mc wondered how that was possible', 'He was happy, not for the dog but for shooting the kid', 'Panic filled her; she could hear the footsteps of the serial killer', or other examples that are basically thoughts.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...

I’ve read stories without internal monologue, and much of them sucked, but the level of suck generally depended on genre. But it is generally better to have internal monologue, as it screens into ones thoughts, and essence (reason/motivations) making them a more respectable character.

Akivien

Rather, how can you explain their thoughts ? For it would just make the characters confusing and more mysterious, irl we don't hear other peoples thoughts, thats why we can still be suprised by their actions.
So yes it can make a great story, with providing more details like facial exspresion, for exemple twitching eye brows.
Also it would make it that you the author don't make stupid monologues like i didn't kill her cuz she cute while a chapter before it was like i won't kill her yet, she is much more valuable alive.
Also it won't impose limits on characters, actually you can have anyone do anything.

when i see the title, i thought since there's no internal monologue, the character said each of their monologue externally

so it would be a story of someone with an extreme case of echolalia, which would be quite surreal in itself.

BlackKnightX

Although I can't think of any examples off the top of my head, I think it's entirely possible.

You know how in anime characters tend to overreact a lot so it's easy to read their emotions?

Yeah, it's basically just gonna be like that but in word form.
So, basically light novel, right?

Arkus86

I’ve read stories without internal monologue, and much of them sucked, but the level of suck generally depended on genre. But it is generally better to have internal monologue, as it screens into ones thoughts, and essence (reason/motivations) making them a more respectable character.
The Eagle’s Flight has no internal monologue as far as I can remember, and I honestly believe it's one of the best books on SH. And that's just one example.

Your issue might stem less from the lack of internal monologue itself, and more from the lack of author's ability to work around it, make the characters look alive without needing to open their head.

BlackKnightX

When you say 'internal monologue' do you mean narration of ideas? Or the instant-to-instant thoughts? Because those are completely different and do exist in movies as well. How do you present them in a movie without being a voice over? We literally can't hear other people's thoughts.
I mean ‘narration’.

Anon_Y_Mousse

Semicolon Enjoyer
So, basically light novel, right?
To be honest, light novels are quite heavy on internal monologue, especially first person ones. What I described might be a bit opposite, as you'd spend a lot more time reading facial expressions and body language.

BlackKnightX

I think all the introspective prose can be condensed into what I call a ‘thought bubble’.

Meaning; instead of let the narrator tell it through the prose, just use the thought bubble (‘’ or italic) to express the character’s thoughts.
Rather, how can you explain their thoughts ? For it would just make the characters confusing and more mysterious, irl we don't hear other peoples thoughts, thats why we can still be suprised by their actions.
So yes it can make a great story, with providing more details like facial exspresion, for exemple twitching eye brows.
Also it would make it that you the author don't make stupid monologues like i didn't kill her cuz she cute while a chapter before it was like i won't kill her yet, she is much more valuable alive.
Also it won't impose limits on characters, actually you can have anyone do anything.
Yep, that’s the whole idea behind it. I think it will make the story richer. It’s like in real life where people can only guess what others think.
when i see the title, i thought since there's no internal monologue, the character said each of their monologue externally

so it would be a story of someone with an extreme case of echolalia, which would be quite surreal in itself.
Or maybe, just let the character express it through their action and facial expression.
To be honest, light novels are quite heavy on internal monologue, especially first person ones. What I described might be a bit opposite, as you'd spend a lot more time reading facial expressions and body language.
That’s cool. Just like in the movie or real life, you can only guess. I think it’s gonna be a great story if the author has eyes for details.

Last edited:

DarklyReadsBooks

"Hmm, this outage isn't normal." The robotic man mumbled to himself. There, no internal monologue. Oh for your original question, no.

I think all the introspective prose can be condensed into what I call a ‘thought bubble’.

Meaning; instead of let the narrator tell it through the prose, just use the thought bubble (‘’ or italic) to express the character’s thoughts.
I believe I said it before, and I'll say it again: this is a crutch for lazy/bad authors.

BlackKnightX

"Hmm, this outage isn't normal." The robotic man mumbled to himself. There, no internal monologue. Oh for your original question, no.
You can have made it in a more realistic way. Like, describing the robotic man’s expression, or have him call his friend and talk about it. There are a lot of way to do it, like in a movie.
I believe I said it before, and I'll say it again: this is a crutch for lazy/bad authors.
That’s maybe true, but I actually like it more as a reader. It just makes the story move along faster. Perfect for a light read and some reader who just wanna pass time.

FearlessCloud01

I think I have seen a few movies. At least the characters there didn't seem overly eager to narrate the story in their heads.

Also, I don't remember anime like One Punch Man having any real thought type monologues. It did have them in the manga. Such as the scene of Saitama in space. In the manga, he crashed on the moon, thought around for a bit (shown in thought bubbles) and then jumped back. In the anime, his thoughts weren't shown, just the expressions were.

With novel-type stories, it's become pretty standard since it's pretty convenient. It probably helps create more lines for the characters, I guess... Idk

Also, if the story is told in the first person, you can't have any bit without an internal monologue since the entire story is being "narrated" by the main character, which becomes difficult to translate into animations/movies.

I feel that the main thing is that since a story/chapter focuses on a certain character, it usually tries to get into the head of the character as it tries to show their POV while remaining in third-person type narration. And authors usually like throwing in some of the bits of narrator dialogue to the characters. Either to be spoken out loud or to be thought using italics/quotes/thought bubbles.

It's like a shortcut that people don't think much about before using. Even when this stuff isn't explicitly written in that format, it's written as third-person statements like "(character name)/he/she/it/they thought..." along with a lot of narration that's pushed over as character thoughts.

There's also the method of writing a long non-thought narration, as in not spoken or thought by any of the characters, and then writing something like "... and that's how it's like." to try and join it into the character's lines.

You also have certain plot devices that are used just for narration. Guy goes to adventurer's guild, join in and gets explained the ranking system by the receptionist/guild master. Or a big monster (or several monsters) comes along and is about to destroy the place/kill the people but they have enough time to explain the situation and the monster's lore to the newly-arrived protagonist/character and have a short conversation as well where the character goes all "Don't worry, because I'm here! I'll surely stop this monster! *insert move name/chant which the character proceeds to use*" or the character just thinks about what everyone has done for them. All while the monster in question is frozen in position or is busy destroying the barren soil a few feet from the characters.

Also, sometimes in animations/movies, certain/all narration bits are assigned to the characters who say it in voice-overs.

Even I might have done it. But it normally feels so natural that I probably end up doing it without even realising it.

Sometimes, I write the thoughts of a character in third-person ("the character thought that..." type) and end up going off on a tangent for world-building without realising that it can technically be considered as part of the character's lines.

But the idea seems fun enough, now that I realise it. So, I might try not to use characters to do my narration job.

BlackKnightX

I think I have seen a few movies. At least the characters there didn't seem overly eager to narrate the story in their heads.

Also, I don't remember anime like One Punch Man having any real thought type monologues. It did have them in the manga. Such as the scene of Saitama in space. In the manga, he crashed on the moon, thought around for a bit (shown in thought bubbles) and then jumped back. In the anime, his thoughts weren't shown, just the expressions were.

With novel-type stories, it's become pretty standard since it's pretty convenient. It probably helps create more lines for the characters, I guess... Idk

Also, if the story is told in the first person, you can't have any bit without an internal monologue since the entire story is being "narrated" by the main character, which becomes difficult to translate into animations/movies.

I feel that the main thing is that since a story/chapter focuses on a certain character, it usually tries to get into the head of the character as it tries to show their POV while remaining in third-person type narration. And authors usually like throwing in some of the bits of narrator dialogue to the characters. Either to be spoken out loud or to be thought using italics/quotes/thought bubbles.

It's like a shortcut that people don't think much about before using. Even when this stuff isn't explicitly written in that format, it's written as third-person statements like "(character name)/he/she/it/they thought..." along with a lot of narration that's pushed over as character thoughts.

There's also the method of writing a long non-thought narration, as in not spoken or thought by any of the characters, and then writing something like "... and that's how it's like." to try and join it into the character's lines.

You also have certain plot devices that are used just for narration. Guy goes to adventurer's guild, join in and gets explained the ranking system by the receptionist/guild master. Or a big monster (or several monsters) comes along and is about to destroy the place/kill the people but they have enough time to explain the situation and the monster's lore to the newly-arrived protagonist/character and have a short conversation as well where the character goes all "Don't worry, because I'm here! I'll surely stop this monster! *insert move name/chant which the character proceeds to use*" or the character just thinks about what everyone has done for them. All while the monster in question is frozen in position or is busy destroying the barren soil a few feet from the characters.

Also, sometimes in animations/movies, certain/all narration bits are assigned to the characters who say it in voice-overs.

Even I might have done it. But it normally feels so natural that I probably end up doing it without even realising it.

Sometimes, I write the thoughts of a character in third-person ("the character thought that..." type) and end up going off on a tangent for world-building without realising that it can technically be considered as part of the character's lines.

But the idea seems fun enough, now that I realise it. So, I might try not to use characters to do my narration job.
Thanks for such a detailed explanation! 🙏🏻

Well actually, there’s this POV called Objective POV. In this POV, the reader can’t get into any of the character’s thoughts, and can only guess what they’re thinking through the contexts.

There are a lot of writers who pulled this off, for example; “The Road” by Cormac McCarthy, The Graduate by Charles Webb, The Jack Reacher novels by Lee Child, etc.

Vnator

As I see it, movies have a ton of subtle visual cues and techniques they can make use of rather than internal monologue, so they tend not to go with it sometimes.

Monologues are a limitation of our medium, but they can be really fun to read and write, and isn't that the point in the end?