Have you ever taken from/ been inspired by something you hate?

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
The thought just occurred to me. Normally I get inspired and borrow things from things I like and love. But working on something tonight, I realized I was partially inspired by something I truly, absolutely loathe: Ulysses. And for the life of me, I can't think of any time outside of this I've taken from something I have a negative opinion on.

Which kind of works do yo pool from: good or bad? Do you look at something that's great and say, "I can't compete." Or do you look at something awful and say, "I'm staying as far away from that as possible."

Food for thought.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
There's someone whom I consider to be a control freak. I look at this person's Twitter feed every day for inspiration.
I try not to "hate" anyone, though. We're enemies with benefits.

Last edited:

EternalSunset0

Does it count if I base some characters off personalities that I really hate? Like the base backbone of their personalities are the things those irl people say and logic they use that I hate.

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
I hated school. So much so that it inspired me to write about a story about a character hating school in order to express out that hate.

LordJoyde

When I hate something in fiction, its usually because I deem them somehow innapropriate, unrealistic, badly-done etc.
So I often remake that something in my own work in accordance to my own design. Egoistical, I know~.

So yeah, I take inspiration from plenty of things that I would normally despise.

TheTrinary

Hi, I'm Stephen
Does it count if I base some characters off personalities that I really hate? Like the base backbone of their personalities are the things those irl people say and logic they use that I hate.
Absolutely. And I almost feel like characters is the free version of this, at least for me. All my characters are based off of people I know, including the bad ones.

D

Deleted member 45782

Not hate, but perhaps want to write things better than some stories see? Like some stories use certain tropes that makes it really unbelievable and sorta doesn't make sense. I've seen some arguments that makes me want to write a different perspective of things, but that is more of the subject matter and not really hate on a person.

bananapink

The Sickly Banana
It's the reason why I finally wrote josei isekai and rebirth...

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
-Be me
-Hates horror
-Easy to get jumpscared and might die from shock.
-Doesn't like horror and traumatize once after bro left me alone to watch a scary movie as a kid
-Hate watching horror while eating
-At dinner
-Me eating good food and at bliss has my favorite food after dinner is done
-Bro sits next to me
-Bro loves horror
-Likes to watch gore and stuff.
-Me feels uncomfortable next to bro
-Opens phone and watches a movie
-Its horror
-InstinctWasRight.png
-Not only horror but its gore as well
-InstinctWasRightAgain.png
-Faces phone next to me
-Already moving plate away from bro
-Oh hell nah I ain't watching horror to vomit food.
-Food was delish and I don't wanna vomit.
-Bro urges me to eat next to him.
-Me beg not to watch it.
-Bribes me money.
-Hesitant but still no.
-Doubles money bro offers.
-Reluctantly Agree and eats next to him.
-Watches movie with bro
-Not too much scary but mostly gore.
-Saw Gore scene
-'Oh hell nah' Stomach packs his bags and leaves.
-Me wanna vomit.
-Bro enjoys the movie while eating with gusto.
-Me looks at a monster(Bro) while trying to swallow food.
-'Oh, I got a inspiration for a novel' Brain is excited.
-'Really Bro? Shouldn't you help our body digest the food?' Heart replied.
-'I dunno Guys, I feel like we are about to faint' Instinct ask.
-Has a minor sexy scene at the movie.
-'Noice' PP with culture replied.
-Me starts to speedrun eating.
-Finished eating and excuse myself
-Took a watermelon and left while looking back at the rest.
-GoodbyeMyLover.png

True Story.

skillet

a frying pan
Probably a bit different from what you were saying about the inspiration thing from what you hate, but I regularly get the urge to write because I hated what I read. (Some of them self-published fairytale retellings on KU... just... fills me with so much RAGE that I get the energy to write what they could've but didn't, or perhaps should've but couldn't. I can't tell.)

EXHIBIT 1: plots that drag on and on and on because it depends on nothing more than the easiest-to-solve misunderstandings and originally intriguing (or maybe even just serviceable) characters acting ooc because the writer feels the strangest need to keep dragging.
EXHIBIT 2: your basic, basic, BASIC female main characters (usually shoujo or romance books) who are described as 'smart' and 'witty' or whatsoever and then proceeds to be the most illogical beings ever. (this can also be male characters who are described as 'smart' and 'witty' and make the most insufferable choices because 'they couldn't help it' like hello? HELLO?!?) OR, OR, when (SHOUJO) heroines end up doing nothing and letting their romantic male lead do everything for them, just being like 'what to do? what to do?' the entire time. UM EXCUSE CAN YOU JUST DO SOMETHING--
EXHIBIT 3: when the male lead that is being described is only the male lead because he pretty. Like. Stop. Describing. His. Arms. As. He. Unintentionally. Flexes. As. He. Picks up a random piece of book or something. oh and he's so smart he reads books wow SORRY but if my entire basis for choosing a future partner is because his arms ripple just so when he picks up a book then that's a very sad life bye
EXHIBIT 4: when toxic relationships and relationships I just can sense with my spidey senses would not work out irl is portrayed as romatnic. Haha nope

...so yeah, tl;dr is, full-on loathing can be a very good inspiration. My current novel began when I was blind with hatred at all these horrible reads and went I WANT TO READ A BOOK WITH SMART CHARACTERS FOR ONCE so there's that too :D Honestly they do say hatred and love is a very fine line, so if you felt something enough for something, there's a big chance that you've thought that much about it, and so in all probability, bigger chance of getting some sort of inspiration from it. :D

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
Well all I can say is that good stories need all kinds of emotions good, bad and neutral. And the way they are portrayed makes a lot of difference so if you see something which you do not like, it can be a perfectly good example of how not to write, how to write a scene and make it seem like something is off or something like that.

Also, just because you hate it doesn't mean that it's bad in all aspects. Maybe because the book is bad in some parts, the good parts shine through better in comparison.

Hadassah

Hate is such a strong word. The things I hate in literature tend to either be triggering or simply following tropes that I think are tired and well outside my desire to emulate.

That said, I will often hate a feature of something I liked otherwise and be inspired by that.

I’ve written long fan fictions with this, but relevant to Scribblehub, my novel Free Agent was sort of inspired by my dissatisfaction with the ease by which the novel Redshirts by John Scalzi wrapped up. Metafiction is usually funny, but I don’t need the world to stare at the reader and wink to remind us that this was just story within a story, hyuk. Metafiction can have weight too.

I am also by the pervasive lack of societal trauma that living in super hero worlds (would cause for 99% of citizens. DC’ cinematic universe barely graces this, it’s still a story about ubermensch ultimately, and i wrote Free agent originally before Zack Snyder’s run) I like things covering mundane horrors that movies are so rarely interested in covering.

Daily fear that people might snap at any time exists today, IRL, and anyone who’s worked in a corporate environment can attest to the dramatics of annual “Active Shooter” training. I imagine a world where Active Shooter training is replaced with “Supernatural Violence” training: cold, calculating, but detachedly horrifying.

TunTun

-Be me
-Hates horror
-Easy to get jumpscared and might die from shock.
-Doesn't like horror and traumatize once after bro left me alone to watch a scary movie as a kid
-Hate watching horror while eating
-At dinner
-Me eating good food and at bliss has my favorite food after dinner is done
-Bro sits next to me
-Bro loves horror
-Likes to watch gore and stuff.
-Me feels uncomfortable next to bro
-Opens phone and watches a movie
-Its horror
-InstinctWasRight.png
-Not only horror but its gore as well
-InstinctWasRightAgain.png
-Faces phone next to me
-Already moving plate away from bro
-Oh hell nah I ain't watching horror to vomit food.
-Food was delish and I don't wanna vomit.
-Bro urges me to eat next to him.
-Me beg not to watch it.
-Bribes me money.
-Hesitant but still no.
-Doubles money bro offers.
-Reluctantly Agree and eats next to him.
-Watches movie with bro
-Not too much scary but mostly gore.
-Saw Gore scene
-'Oh hell nah' Stomach packs his bags and leaves.
-Me wanna vomit.
-Bro enjoys the movie while eating with gusto.
-Me looks at a monster(Bro) while trying to swallow food.
-'Oh, I got a inspiration for a novel' Brain is excited.
-'Really Bro? Shouldn't you help our body digest the food?' Heart replied.
-'I dunno Guys, I feel like we are about to faint' Instinct ask.
-Has a minor sexy scene at the movie.
-'Noice' PP with culture replied.
-Me starts to speedrun eating.
-Finished eating and excuse myself
-Took a watermelon and left while looking back at the rest.
-GoodbyeMyLover.png

True Story.
Nice blog post

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I personally dislike stories that start with a Child Protagonist and then go through a timeskip that makes the character a teen.

This kinda pushed me into making a story with a Child Protagonist that would still be a child by the end of the story~

So yeah, I was inspired by something I disliked~

Kuropon

The thought just occurred to me. Normally I get inspired and borrow things from things I like and love. But working on something tonight, I realized I was partially inspired by something I truly, absolutely loathe: Ulysses. And for the life of me, I can't think of any time outside of this I've taken from something I have a negative opinion on.

Which kind of works do yo pool from: good or bad? Do you look at something that's great and say, "I can't compete." Or do you look at something awful and say, "I'm staying as far away from that as possible."

Food for thought.
Think everyone has read something and thought 'I could do this better' They disliked a part in the story and decided to write something similar but better. Think that's something normal.

Nymus

Your question is just difficult to answer for me. Do I hate? If I think my beliefs through to the end and accept them, there is nothing for me to hate.

Everything is part of being human. The complete spectrum. Can I really hate a part just because I don't like it? Everything, and really everything is part of being human.

In this sense, yes, I am inspired by many things that are commonly considered evil and hateful.

War. Hatred. Betrayal. Evil. Prejudice. Senselessness. Stupidity.

But the unpleasant thing about your question is that there are people who hate someone because of their skin color, religion, sexual orientation and whatnot.

I once heard that there are always three sides. One good, one bad and one funny. And I always hope to find the funny side.
But hate can have a place, too. It´s one of the things that makes us human. Even if we don´t like it.

RedHunter2296

Competitive Professional In Being Ignored
Yes, the truth is that if it weren't for my hatred for a specific anime that's what ended up with me in this place :blobrofl:.

Hidan no aria , It was a series of students in a James Bond-style secret agent school. I more or less liked the premise. The protagonist is in the lowest class because he did not want to have a complicated life so everything failed on purpose. Then one day one of the best students appears and asks him to be her partner for a mission and her main character reluctantly helps him. But all changes when it is revealed that the protagonist can only overcome the challenges that arise because supposedly in his dna there is a badass mode that literally makes him James Bond, but he cannot control it when it is activated, it always comes out when the script need him. To finish as the series progressed a little, the protagonist is the least interesting because more and more people with better superpowers appear like the X-Men who surpass it in everything, turning the protagonist into a drag even for the mission and you end up begging that he get out of the series. Finally they took out the second season but the protagonist does not appear, you only owe it to time in cameo mode. The now protagonist was a new character who was next to the girl who was the best in school.

It was the perfect example of how not to make a story, everything was wrong and I said it so much that I said, fuck it, I'm going to make my own story without all that shit and it will look better because it's not difficult. Although in the end, so many things have changed that now it is his own story with everything and his Lore. The central idea is still doing the same, to make a badass protagonist who fights against entities superior to him such as dragons or deities but without superpowers taken from the ass, but with things that are right and that the reader can say, yes, he is right, he could defeat him with that.

Sylvie

Those days are gone, now the memory's on the wall
I personally dislike stories that start with a Child Protagonist and then go through a timeskip that makes the character a teen.

This kinda pushed me into making a story with a Child Protagonist that would still be a child by the end of the story~

So yeah, I was inspired by something I disliked~
I like stories where the protagonist starts off as a child. Maybe I would like one where they end up as a child too as crazy as that sounds.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
I like stories where the protagonist starts off as a child. Maybe I would like one where they end up as a child too as crazy as that sounds.
I don't think it is crazy at all! Child protagonists are lovely after all! \(^^)/