Help Ai-chan prepare for NaNoWriMo early

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
So to make story short, Ai-chan is going to cheat. There, let's get that out of the way. Frankly Ai-chan doesn't know whether to post this here in Author's section or Reader's section. @Tony , what do you think? What do you guys think?

Basically, what Ai-chan is looking for is people who are interested in reading and giving their thoughts on the early drafts of Ai-chan's NaNoWriMo novel when they're done. These draft chapters will be posted in conversations, in the same format as novelupdates original composition and you can only read it in conversations. So if you want to read it, you have to sign up for it here.

-----

Title: Starship Supermall
Genre: Action Sci-Fi
Tag: Tragedy, Space Opera
Synopsis: The Nexus (name not finalized) Supermall was designed to be the biggest mall in the region. At 540,000 square meters of total floor area, eight floors, thirty-two sections consisting of anything from grocery, to luxury goods, to entertainment, and a spacious carpark area and good connection to the public transit network, the mall was built to be able to bring in and accommodate more than 600,000 visitors daily. One good Wednesday morning, the entire mall was wrenched off the face of the Earth and sent to space far from its point of origin by unknown forces.

After fighting off an alien raiding party, the Nexus Supermall, now S.S. Nexus traverse the galaxy as they try to find the way home for the 110,000 men, women and children who call the starship home. Equipped with technology more advanced than even the spacefaring aliens they encounter, they try to discover what power brought them there and for what purpose it did so. Will they ever return home or will there be a surprise at the end of their journey?

-----

Ai-chan can give you the following guarantees:
1) It won't be frequent updates, so you won't be spammed.
2) At least 2 chapters per month, though Ai-chan actually needs to release 5 chapters a month but we'll see how it works first.
3) Ai-chan will not release filler chapters. All chapters will have proper content that advances the plot.

In return, if you wish to participate, your obligations will be to:
1) Give feedback, what works, what doesn't, what you anticipate will happen in the next chapters. But please don't be a jerk about it.
2) If you don't give feedback for 3 chapters straight, Ai-chan will assume that you are no longer interested in the story and therefore will be removed from the list of conversation members.
3) You will keep everything you read quiet and will not copy-paste Ai-chan's story elsewhere either wholly or in parts.

Ai-chan will apologize, however, that some chapters may be skipped and written later either due to how hard it is to get those chapters to come out right or because those chapters were originally planned to be elsewhere in the story. This story was planned to be a novel, but Ai-chan also plans on proposing it as a movie script if Ai-chan didn't win the competition (god knows Hollywood needs something new), so there may be parts that seem to not be totally realistic or correct (such as laws of quantum physics) in favour of cinematic effects. In that case, it's fine to inform Ai-chan that Ai-chan got the math or the understanding wrong, just don't be a jerk about it.

As for why Ai-chan is doing it this way and not let it be open to the public is because one of the rules is for it to not be published elsewhere prior to NaNoWriMo. Publishing and then unpublishing is against the rules. Ai-chan once asked one of the dudes who released an awesome novel chapter after chapter daily on how he did it. He said his book was actually planned and written two years in advance and before NaNoWriMo, he had already sent the chapters to his friends by email for feedback. On the month of November, he just had to post them a chapter or two each day until the end of the month.

So obviously Ai-chan was pissed. Here Ai-chan tried to follow the rules and write only in November but other people already finished their books before that bleeding November was even close. And he's not the only one. If everyone's going to cheat again, then Ai-chan will cheat too!

Last edited:

in_awe

Wait....that's how people do that?!!! What the heck? I write each chapter by day.

Ai-chan

I'm good at reading an want to help, but I'm not good at giving feedback...
:cry:
You don't have to give full-blown reviewer feedback every chapter. If you see the interaction of lifelong enemies such as Mr. Ace and Ms. Bell feels a little stale, you can comment on that too. If you feel like you can suggest improvement on some action scenes, you can say that too. All that matters is that you read the chapter and comment on what you feel is good or lacking.

Wait....that's how people do that?!!! What the heck? I write each chapter by day.
If you see people who release a long chapter each day with perfect grammar and very well-done chapters, yes, this was what they did. By the time nanowrimo arrives, the story is either already done or almost done and the pressure is already off that they can afford to spend more time on editing and proofreading. Legitimate daily long chapters have a lot of mistakes and stuff that don't fit into each other, which would be fixed after nanowrimo.

DaoFox

『Silkmaid』『Queen Sylvia Glasscrest of Arya』
Honestly, the title gave me a different impression than the content of your post, additionally I don't have much interest in Sci-fi, as a whole, so I won't apply for assisting you, but I wish you luck on the Nanowrimo all the same. (y)

Elrouge

Oh oh can i apply? I'm just a hatchling writer but i still wanna help

Ai-chan

Honestly, the title gave me a different impression than the content of your post, additionally I don't have much interest in Sci-fi, as a whole, so I won't apply for assisting you, but I wish you luck on the Nanowrimo all the same. (y)
It's cool, no problem. Ai-chan chooses to write sci-fi because nobody writes sci-fi. Everyone wants to write fantasy. After a while, it gets repetitive no matter how much you want to be different, readers just don't feel like they can be invested anymore.

Oh oh can i apply? I'm just a hatchling writer but i still wanna help
Awesome! Ai-chan will add you once Ai-chan starts posting the drafts. It's okay if you're a new author, it won't be a problem. After all, Ai-chan had a lot to complain about when Ai-chan started reading Eragon. Ai-chan hadn't started writing yet back then.

Jemini

So, the concept behind NaNoWriMo was originally to get an author writing in the first place instead of stagnating and keeping their ides in their heads. Any of the authors here ought to know that just getting started is a pretty important step, and then it all flows from there.

Personally, I don't really get what would be the purpose of a SH author participating in NaNoWriMo. 1. We are already writing. 2. A lot of us would do well more than just pass the bench mark for NaNo easily just by writing our stories at our normal rates.

If you aren't writing yet though, then I guess NaNo would be a pretty good excuse to start. However, go into that knowing that if you quit writing once the month is over then you are defeating the point of the exercise.

DaoFox

It's cool, no problem. Ai-chan chooses to write sci-fi because nobody writes sci-fi. Everyone wants to write fantasy. After a while, it gets repetitive no matter how much you want to be different, readers just don't feel like they can be invested anymore.

Awesome! Ai-chan will add you once Ai-chan starts posting the drafts. It's okay if you're a new author, it won't be a problem. After all, Ai-chan had a lot to complain about when Ai-chan started reading Eragon. Ai-chan hadn't started writing yet back then.
its not that everyone does it so it becomes tiring, in that case you're just looking in the wrong places. don't forget there are entire fanbases and circles dedicated to sci-fi, you just aren't finding them here, which is what led to your assumption I guess. I recently started the Harbinger series by Jeff wheeler and absolutely love it, does it use themes I have seen elsewhere? yes. was a bit of it partially inspired by the narnia chronicles? yes. does any part of it feel like repetitive fantasy literature? Nope.

the repetitive issue is because people like to pose as "something original" when in reality they are just doing the same old thing but replacing thing A for thing B, or setting key A for setting key B. just look at the number of "reincarnation" stories that get posted online, almost all these webnovels follow a near identical template, from a series that got popular and then you get series where the MC abuses their shallow half-baked knowledge to mysteriously achieve feats that took the entirety of human society entire centuries to accomplish.

too much of a genre doesn't drive people away from it, you just see a lot of people spoiled for choice that suddenly have to determine criteria to select which is most read worthy in their eyes. I don't know anybody who reads fantasy that was driven there because there was too much scifi or vice versa. Just as I don't know of any once avid reader of romance novels suddenly deciding to quit reading them because so many of them seemed to be similar stories.

don't write to be original, write to be interesting. cause there is no such thing as originality in fiction and if its not interesting, people just won't read it, nor recommend others to read it.

Ai-chan

So, the concept behind NaNoWriMo was originally to get an author writing in the first place instead of stagnating and keeping their ides in their heads. Any of the authors here ought to know that just getting started is a pretty important step, and then it all flows from there.

Personally, I don't really get what would be the purpose of a SH author participating in NaNoWriMo. 1. We are already writing. 2. A lot of us would do well more than just pass the bench mark for NaNo easily just by writing our stories at our normal rates.

If you aren't writing yet though, then I guess NaNo would be a pretty good excuse to start. However, go into that knowing that if you quit writing once the month is over then you are defeating the point of the exercise.
Oh no, Ai-chan isn't talking about the exercise itself, but the writing competition using nanowrimo as the baseline. It's kinda high stakes, so everyone who wanted to get the contract cheated and newbies to the competition like Ai-chan was left in the dust. This is war.

Jemini

Oh no, Ai-chan isn't talking about the exercise itself, but the writing competition using nanowrimo as the baseline. It's kinda high stakes, so everyone who wanted to get the contract cheated and newbies to the competition like Ai-chan was left in the dust. This is war.

Oh, wait, this is a competition? I didn't see where it was announced. (For that matter, I rarely see where any are announced. Where on the site is that anyway?)

Ai-chan

Oh, wait, this is a competition? I didn't see where it was announced. (For that matter, I rarely see where any are announced. Where on the site is that anyway?)
It's not here. ScribbleHub is not old enough to develop a tradition of bloody cheaters! God damn, Ai-chan is pissed by those cheating jerks. That's why Ai-chan planned on massacring them next time.

Jemini

It's not here. ScribbleHub is not old enough to develop a tradition of bloody cheaters! God damn, Ai-chan is pissed by those cheating jerks. That's why Ai-chan planned on massacring them next time.

I see. Ok then, I guess I'm willing to help.

Gledis

I am in for the feedback and corrections.
As an Author I am new to everything, but I still have my writing talent and ideas to propose.
Keep in mind tho, that not everyone can assist on the development that of the chapters easily as the Author can be the only one that paves the way for further development.

Regarding the giving up and stealing work???
Just who in this world would steal work that will be published later on afterwards!
Just who is so stupid to not give a bit of support for a novel which they may totally end up liking in the future!
Half of NU and SH are already addicted to the novels posted, none would be such an idiot to halt an Author and it’s beautiful novel.

I will support you!!!

DaoFox

lol what exactly do you mean by cheating at nanowrimo? xD the rules are very loose and there is nothing saying you cant prepare ahead of time lol. and I don't think I know of the competition you are referring to either. got a link to it?

Ai-chan

lol what exactly do you mean by cheating at nanowrimo? xD the rules are very loose and there is nothing saying you cant prepare ahead of time lol. and I don't think I know of the competition you are referring to either. got a link to it?
Ai-chan already said, it's not the exercise. It's a competition, using nanowrimo as a baseline. Nanowrimo itself is not the competition. The competition uses nanowrimo, then adds its own rules.

There is nothing that said you can't prepare ahead, if we're talking only preparations. These guys already finished their stories long before november. Not just preparations. The stories itself. The only thing they did was to post their perfected stories one or two chapters every day to qualify for the competition.

The competition details for this year is not announced yet, but there is one every year.

Ai-chan

I am in for the feedback and corrections.
As an Author I am new to everything, but I still have my writing talent and ideas to propose.
Keep in mind tho, that not everyone can assist on the development that of the chapters easily as the Author can be the only one that paves the way for further development.

Regarding the giving up and stealing work???
Just who in this world would steal work that will be published later on afterwards!
Just who is so stupid to not give a bit of support for a novel which they may totally end up liking in the future!
Half of NU and SH are already addicted to the novels posted, none would be such an idiot to halt an Author and it’s beautiful novel.

I will support you!!!
Thank you very much. Ai-chan will add you once it's ready.

DaoFox

Ai-chan already said, it's not the exercise. It's a competition, using nanowrimo as a baseline. Nanowrimo itself is not the competition. The competition uses nanowrimo, then adds its own rules.

There is nothing that said you can't prepare ahead, if we're talking only preparations. These guys already finished their stories long before november. Not just preparations. The stories itself. The only thing they did was to post their perfected stories one or two chapters every day to qualify for the competition.

The competition details for this year is not announced yet, but there is one every year.
well, still don't know what competition you are talking about. but good to see another practitioner of "if you can't beat the cheaters. join them"