Hey authors, how much do you think of character designs. (Maybe should've could've put it in artist forum but ehhhhhhhhh)

DekuKurohi

What would a combination of ZUN and Nasu be like?
ProtagDoodle.png

My character designs for my novels, doodle them myself
I know some authors write and leave the drawings to artists (unless they're also an artist), but it's not as if you leave your characters completely featureless.

So how much stakes to you put into character designs? Both authors who bother and don't bother to think about it too much, what's your approach to thinking up character designs? It's your character, you gotta think them up whether you actually draw them or have other people do it for you.

J_Chemist

My characters are designed and described to look certain ways not by accident. Little details such as choice of dress, weapons/equipment carried, scars, skin tone, expression- they all play the part of building the character. When commissioning an artist, I look for an individual who can take the described details and bring them to life. No, I don't want artistic freedom. No, I don't want a second opinion. I would like the artist to draw using the instructions provided. If it's not listed, or if they can make it better, then a conversation needs to be had to ensure the end goal is not affected and still achieved.

Hence also why I don't have any character art done thus far. I'm lazy and finding an artist capable of doing the above will likely be a headache since everyone wants to put their own spin on things these days.

ForestDweller

I wish I can design my characters. Every time I commission an artist it's either me leaving up the design to them while only giving general feeling on how a character should be or stealing a design from an existing artwork.

Zinless

How do I
I go back and forth with the artist I'm working with, who's also my friend. It usually starts with me sketching the characters myself, pointing out what parts I think should be important and what the character's 'vibe' should be before handing the rest to him.

My friend would get the sketch, analyze it, discuss about it with me for a while and then begin to work.

As for thinking about the character design, I feel like having someone to go back and forth talking about it can help a lot. There's a character in my story that starts out as a basic mage, but now she has the most interesting design in the story so far, thanks to me discussing it with the artist back and forth.

Syringe

Bluetooth 7 Enabled Holy Blade w/ Red Dot Sight
I don't think there's a wrong way to approach character design, but I think having at least ONE defining appearance trait will go a long way as it'll help distinguish them from other characters, even if they from the same race/background/etc.

Koiren

Character designs for me are practically, like, a half of their personality if not more. I tend to create an image in my head that would give me a good understanding of what my OC looks like because in their appearance I usually read what kind of person they are: the contrast in the colours and the colour palette, the style, the haircut - all of it corresponds to the personality. I may be quite banal at this; the appearance of my characters is in the first place an element of impressionism: it has to make both me as the author and my readers/followers aware of what to expect from a character given their particular appearance.
As an example, I have a story where a character's appearance and style changes throughout all 3 parts of the story according to his emotional and physical state, so basically if you drew portraits of him from each part, you'd see the tendency of how he feels and what is going on in his life.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
My characters are designed and described to look certain ways not by accident. Little details such as choice of dress, weapons/equipment carried, scars, skin tone, expression- they all play the part of building the character. When commissioning an artist, I look for an individual who can take the described details and bring them to life. No, I don't want artistic freedom. No, I don't want a second opinion. I would like the artist to draw using the instructions provided. If it's not listed, or if they can make it better, then a conversation needs to be had to ensure the end goal is not affected and still achieved.

Hence also why I don't have any character art done thus far. I'm lazy and finding an artist capable of doing the above will likely be a headache since everyone wants to put their own spin on things these days.
Artists have always wanted to put their own spin on things since the dawn of artistry.:ROFLMAO:

TotallyHuman

A little bit. I remember reading the description of the Devil in the master and margarita having a black and a green eye and there was a description of a rich aristocrat woman in the man who laughs having a blue and a black eye (as a witch who has met the entity in question, it's not a completely correct description), and they were used to describe parts of character personalities and I took note of it.
One could use descriptions of a character having messy hair to show that the character is not very focused at the moment, or such.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I wish I can design my characters. Every time I commission an artist it's either me leaving up the design to them while only giving general feeling on how a character should be or stealing a design from an existing artwork.
Buddy trust me and use this. https://www.zmo.ai/ai-anime-generator/

The fine details like scars or tats you can write in the story but this AI tool is great for general use and is free for the most part

MrToothySmiles

View attachment 20710
My character designs for my novels, doodle them myself
I know some authors write and leave the drawings to artists (unless they're also an artist), but it's not as if you leave your characters completely featureless.

So how much stakes to you put into character designs? Both authors who bother and don't bother to think about it too much, what's your approach to thinking up character designs? It's your character, you gotta think them up whether you actually draw them or have other people do it for you.
Usually, I draw the characters first, or decide on their circumstances, personality, likes and dislikes, and draw them accordingly. But I'm not an author. At least not an 'official' author. I just like my reader who draws status.

ForestDweller

Buddy trust me and use this. https://www.zmo.ai/ai-anime-generator/

The fine details like scars or tats you can write in the story but this AI tool is great for general use and is free for the most part

I'm already using NovelAi. Problem with those tools is that they're not creative enough. Sometimes you get amazing artwork right off the bat but other times no matter how much you refresh you only get crappy, boring design.

ConansWitchBaby

Da Scalie Whisperer
I just go by clothing and the one hairstyle they are born with and will die with.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
I put way too much time into character creation. I'm the person who spends hours playing with the character customizer and then gets bored once the actual game starts.

In writing, I essentially follow the character creation menu as well. Pick race, gender, class, so on. Then colors, clothing, doodads. If they have any defining traits, I make sure to reference it at least a little bit as well.

It was way easier with my current story, cuz most of my work was done with 'What element do they represent? Okay, that's the color scheme!' A little disappoint to be honest.