Hey internet people

Scribbler

Hey internet people, so I've been thinking about writing up a cyberpunk story for a couple days or a week (not sure), and I've kinda sorta tried, but I don't think my knowledge is at a level with which I could tackle such an endeavor. The reason being that I feel cyberpunk is a lot about society and how different cultures intermingle, and I just don't know much about that sort of stuff.

Like, what do gangsters actually do, and did you guys know there was a difference between small-time street gangsters and big-time organized crime? I sure didn't. I thought they were a part of the same whole.

And corporations, what do they do?

In these situations, I just thank god for wikipedia. I know I could learn a lot by reading books, like The Godfather, but have you seen books? They take forever to get through! Movies are also great for this. Robocop and Judge Dredd capture the street level crime and law enforcement action real well. And I feel like movies like Inception and The Matrix really capture the themes of cyberpunk, with the whole entire unreality feeling, and trying to fight against an unstoppable force feel. And Akira and Blade Runner capture the aesthetic perfectly.

What do you guys know about gangsters or corporations that you think most people may not know? Or what do you think of when you think about gangsters and future corporations that rule the world? Or anything else about the drug, tech, punk, hacker, tech, and outlaw motorcycle gang cultures.

I've got a small blurb so far for the story, like the one in Blade Runner 2049 and Ghost in the shell.
The year is 2070. World powers as we know them have fallen, taking their place are corporations specializing in the manufacture and sale of cutting-edge technology; AI assistants and cyberware.

With the fall of the old system, rise many others. At the age of five, children are given an aptitude test to decide their future vocation, immediately beginning their training, and in 10 years time, working for the corporations.

Those who are deemed worthless by the system, who refuse judgement from the system, who rebel against it, they are categorized by the system as punks.

Here's some more worldbuildy things:
I thought about the likelihood of people jacking in/allowing software to connect to their brains, and I just though, eh, no way people would actually allow that to happen to them. So I'm thinking no virtual reality in my future.

And the police force is going to be replaced by androids because the corporations have deemed humanity unable to bear the responsibility and mental stress that comes with the job, so they replace them with unfeeling androids that only follow orders. And like, androids only have a function time of 5 years, because that's how long it takes form them to become intelligent and start asking questions.

And the working title is War Machine.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Hey internet people, so I've been thinking about writing up a cyberpunk story for a couple days or a week (not sure), and I've kinda sorta tried, but I don't think my knowledge is at a level with which I could tackle such an endeavor. The reason being that I feel cyberpunk is a lot about society and how different cultures intermingle, and I just don't know much about that sort of stuff.

Like, what do gangsters actually do, and did you guys know there was a difference between small-time street gangsters and big-time organized crime? I sure didn't. I thought they were a part of the same whole.

And corporations, what do they do?

In these situations, I just thank god for wikipedia. I know I could learn a lot by reading books, like The Godfather, but have you seen books? They take forever to get through! Movies are also great for this. Robocop and Judge Dredd capture the street level crime and law enforcement action real well. And I feel like movies like Inception and The Matrix really capture the themes of cyberpunk, with the whole entire unreality feeling, and trying to fight against an unstoppable force feel. And Akira and Blade Runner capture the aesthetic perfectly.

What do you guys know about gangsters or corporations that you think most people may not know? Or what do you think of when you think about gangsters and future corporations that rule the world? Or anything else about the drug, tech, punk, hacker, tech, and outlaw motorcycle gang cultures.

I've got a small blurb so far for the story, like the one in Blade Runner 2049 and Ghost in the shell.
The year is 2070. World powers as we know them have fallen, taking their place are corporations specializing in the manufacture and sale of cutting-edge technology; AI assistants and cyberware.

With the fall of the old system, rise many others. At the age of five, children are given an aptitude test to decide their future vocation, immediately beginning their training, and in 10 years time, working for the corporations.

Those who are deemed worthless by the system, who refuse judgement from the system, who rebel against it, they are categorized by the system as punks.

Here's some more worldbuildy things:
I thought about the likelihood of people jacking in/allowing software to connect to their brains, and I just though, eh, no way people would actually allow that to happen to them. So I'm thinking no virtual reality in my future.

And the police force is going to be replaced by androids because the corporations have deemed humanity unable to bear the responsibility and mental stress that comes with the job, so they replace them with unfeeling androids that only follow orders. And like, androids only have a function time of 5 years, because that's how long it takes form them to become intelligent and start asking questions.

And the working title is War Machine.
Crime is bad for the organised crime. Crimes elicit attention and attention is bad for the business model. You want things to stay calm, and not to escalate. :blob_reach:

Reactions: CL

ZesshiLavi

Gang - Robbery, territory dispute, Drugs, small-time prostitution, and much less serious crime-related, worst they can do is murder and kidnapping.
Crime Syndicate - Human trafficking, Illegal Weapon Dealing, Drug distribution, Black Market, Organ harvesting, Assassination, Merc, and much more. Normally people won't talk about the syndicate openly to the public as you can get unwanted attention if you aren't careful.

The future organization is normally depicted to be extremely greedy, they manipulate and control the mass by being the sole provider of a certain item, allowing them to dominate the market, and slowly but surely they start to be more influential than the government or something like that.

The gangster that work for this Corps is like an errand boy, they work for the corps in exchange for benefits. These gangs can do all the dirty work that a corp won't want the public to find out, gang is also disposable anytime as they can never be related to such a gang if they were ever caught and interrogated without solid proof. To make matters worst, corp will almost never sign a contract with a gang and they just simply give orders either face to face or with the disposable phone, making it much impossible to find proof.

Well, at least this is my knowledge of such a thing.

Last edited:

Leti

What do you guys know about gangsters or corporations that you think most people may not know?
The hideout of La Squadra Esecuzioni, the hitman branch of Passione Crime Syndicate is located in Vico Pallonetto Santa Chiara, 8, 80134, Napoli NA, Italy.

nanchengnv

About corporations, I think Economics Explained has a pretty good video about the economy for cyberpunk 2077.

I personally believe that if corporations did take over the world, they would be a government, so I think it would be best to think of them as governments, instead of profit-driven corporations. I mean, if corporations took over the world, they could change the laws of different places, basically making them governments. I think Russian Oligarchs, Hong Kong might be a modern example of what it would mean for a corporation to own a nation. And then medieval communes or city-states.

And about that virtual reality thing: here's a video from Tom Scott which explains why I think connecting directly to the brain is more probable than you might think:
It's just an interesting thought.

Last edited:

Vaxel00

You need to think of big organized crime like that of a corporation that has to do anything to make their profits look legit and that have no legal recourse to enforce deals and contracts.

How do you force someone to honor a contract when the person knows you can't sue?
How do you defend your business and territory from other "businesses" when law enforcement won't help you?
How do you make your money look legit and avoid the IRS?
How do you market your merchandise when it's Illegal or heavily regulated?

I suggest the movie good fellas.