History enjoyers, I need your help!!!

SailusGebel

You mean the tankard?

Well, I'm not that knowledgeable in European tavern culture, but afaik, those were used around Northern Europe.

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
From what other write in the thread, this type of mug is complete and utter bullshit.
It's one of my childhood questions.

I mean, it's made of strips of wood joined together by a band of metal. Afaik, physics won't agree to that, unless one waterproofs it. And that kinda defeats the purpose of such type of drinking vessel, the economical advantage of it.

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
After all these years. :blob_teary: Me and my hate finally feel vindicated.
My apologies...we Flippos drink beer and other alcoholic stuff from the bottle itself, or shot glasses...or that empty peanut butter jar converted to drinking glass.

We can also use plastic, but it's easily turn over, so we go shot glasses and the peanut butter jar, if we can help it.

SailusGebel

My apologies...we Flippos drink beer and other alcoholic stuff from the bottle itself, or shot glasses...or that empty peanut butter jar converted to drinking glass.

We can also use plastic, but it's easily turn over, so we go shot glasses and the peanut butter jar, if we can help it.
Why peanut butter jar? :blob_joy:

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
Why peanut butter jar? :blob_joy:
Coz look...

images (1).jpeg

Once empty, we can turn it into a drinking glass. This one's made of plastic, yet my claim is still applicable.

Prawd Peenoise Pawah!

Also, @SailusGebel it's Filipino tradition to get shot and die after singing Frank Sinatra's "My Way" through karaoke in the middle of a drinking session.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author

You could make your own alcohol in a closet at home for super cheap. You can make a peanut butter alcohol and serve it in the peanut butter jar cups.

SailusGebel

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Wouldn't it make the drink taste funny? Wouldn't it leak? What if a splinter gets in my lips? Does it soak up my drink? Can I even wash it clean after?

Too many questions... :blob_catflip:

Hans.Trondheim

Hans off, please!
You could make your own alcohol in a closet at home for super cheap. You can make a peanut butter alcohol and serve it in the peanut butter jar cups.
Ah we do brew alcohol in our backyards. Depending on the financial capacity of the brewer, you'd either die thru drinking too much alcohol (if the brewer is rich and has money to pay for quality ingredients), or die by salmonella (if the brewer is poor and has to use backyard stuff to make alcohol).

No, I'm only joking. Here in PH, you die drinking alcohol by either getting shot, or someone stabbed you after an argument about what the Bible said.
I was thinking of this when you mentioned peanut butter. So I thought; either I am wrong, or Filipinos are freaking hardcore.

Never underestimate our capacity to choose the hard way even though we're given lots of easy options. 🤣😂

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Ah we do brew alcohol in our backyards. Depending on the financial capacity of the brewer, you'd either die thru drinking too much alcohol (if the brewer is rich and has money to pay for quality ingredients), or die by salmonella (if the brewer is poor and has to use backyard stuff to make alcohol).

No, I'm only joking. Here in PH, you die drinking alcohol by either getting shot, or someone stabbed you after an argument about what the Bible said.
I see. I would probably get stabbed because I have a lot of thoughts on what the Bible says, being an avid student of the word, and I've found that the majority of people disagree with me about it.

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
@Assurbanipal_II @Hans.Trondheim @Paul_Tromba and the rest, I need your help! Whenever I read an isekai or a fantasy manga\webtoon, there is one thing that bothers me a LOT. You all might find it irksome how authors don't bother to do a research and use wrong rules, wrong dates, or how everything is wrong, so on. Doesn't really matter, I did not gather you to discuss what you don't like. Ehem, anyway, there is actually one thing that really bothers me, to the point that I can't keep my silence anymore.

Mugs. Fucking wooden mugs. I don't know, I just can't stand them, they look so alienating, and they are everywhere. Every fucking isekai and fantasy novel have them. So here is my question. Did they use those terrible wooden mugs before? Were they used in middle-ages, or is it something that was made and popularized fairly recently? P.S. I'm not talking about mugs that have the same shape, but made out of a different material. I'm talking about those atrocious wooden mugs that look like mini barrels.

P.P.S. This is not a joke question.

Just in case. This is the type of mug I am talking about. With metal.

Both from around 1530s. They were used, but in German lands they never enjoyed much popularity as the classical Bierkrug evolved in this time period and was a status symbol of the emerging bourgeoisie and the cities. The beer differed them from the wine drinking nobles, so those who thought something of themselves had either tin, glass, or ceramics.

Especially, stoneware. :blob_neutral: It was a type of ceramic discovered in German lands during the 13th century, which became very popular became almost synonymous with the concept of beer mug. Porcelain meanwhile for the matter arrived way later during the 18th century when domestic production was achieved for the first time in Saxony.

Stoneware below.

1710268801086.jpeg

@Lloyd

Made by hands, each days to supply for a year of harvest.
:blob_happy: Yes, sure ... And I am the emperor of china.