How about we create a single thread about collection of narrative techniques/popular terms in writing?

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
You know what? I gotta say, that nobody here has the courage to step up and try something new is somewhat disappoint me.

I understand that it's far more easier to just becoming a bystander and watching things from afar, and if somewhat in a miraculous chance that things are actually worked, you can just suddenly pitch in and blend with everyone else to join the party afterwards.

but it's not about the project, it's about your courage. to try and experiencing to do something new, challenging your own creativity and critical thinking.
but no, nobody even bother to step up and try even though I'm right here providing the opportunity for you to gain a new experience of community writing.
because of what? because you're afraid that this is not going to work.

I tell you what : I'm suggesting this but I know very well that this is not going to work at all. not with these obtuse people who's trolling and getting defensive because trying to prove their point.

just like Sir Ken Robinson once saying "if you're not prepared to be wrong, you'll never comes up with anything original"
if you're just waiting from sideline, and hoping that somebody else doing it before you would. then you'll always be the bystander who only knows to following other people.

work on your courage, really. because opportunity to learn something by chance and environment is actually a privilege.
it's a waste to miss that next time.

D

Deleted member 57675

just an idea if there's anyone here interested to be behaving like an actual community.

so the details is : someone made a thread at Discussion & Writing tips subforum, but the #1 post only giving the explanation about how the thread works, that everyone can contribute to post a popular narrative technique they know (like Chekhov's Gun, Deus Ex-Machina, MacGuffin, or even something as obvious as Marry Sue)

the #2 post, would be the index of the thread (so someone who made a list with title and giving hyperlink that directing to each post according to the name of the narrative technique, I know this is obvious, but just in case some people couldn't understand how indexing in a forum works)

After that, we start to post the narrative technique, the name, the explanation, and the example of it. (but please DON'T copy pasting it from some other site like Wikipedia or something. wrote it on your own) and for indexing purpose, one post can only contained one narrative technique
and like i said, the contributor of the thread is not just one person. but anyone who's willing to participate to introduce some popular narrative technique and their official name.

why should we make this? Well, it might be useful. and I'm sure as heck some people who read this thread didn't know those certain narrative technique I mentioned above is actually a thing.
the purpose is to introduce those popular narrative technique to those who's not attending writing school, collecting it in one single thread, and then makes a proper index for easier navigation.
who knows, it might be a little help.

what do you guys think? does anyone want to be on board with this, or does you guys think this is unnecessary, or whatever it is. please speak up.

just for the heads up, I definitely would contribute some explanation of narrative technique if this happened, I could also be the #1 post if you guys wanted it, but I don't think I could handle the indexing at the #2 post.
So like a collection of all those forum thread links in past about useful writing tips all in this one thread? Like OokamiKasumi or creature lore stuff?

Hmm ... i think wikipedia is still great unless you going into heavy research for something more serious subjects, or academics/serious work thats need more reliable sites. But its a starter point. I don't think many are experts here and if they are, its only in one branch of something, perhaps tip of iceberg that may or may not be helpful for your writing. Are you talking about people sharing wikipedia link or directly copying and pasting content of wikipedia into their forum comment though?

That and threads do derail very fast into off-topic.

You know what? I gotta say, that nobody here has the courage to step up and try something new is somewhat disappoint me.
>no one has the "courage" to try something new

why not do it yourself?

edit: i just read the rest of this and it's mind boggling. what kind of delusions are you wallowing in?
I'm right here providing the opportunity for you to gain a new experience of community writing.
you're suggesting an idea. you're asking others to invest their own time into a writing exercise. that is all. you're not "providing" anything. you made a suggestion, and for some reason, you're trying to shame others into doing it, yet you refrain from doing it yourself.
aren't you a "coward" by your own definition for not following this suggestion? your own idea?
"trolls" are definitely the reason why no one responded to this. or was it because everyone is a coward and they are too afraid of posting a reply on a public anonymous forum.
i don't get why you thought it was a good idea to write 6 paragraphs of projections and insecurities.

Last edited:

Zirrboy

Fueled by anger
why not do it yourself?

edit: i just read the rest of this and it's mind boggling. what kind of delusions are you wallowing in?
Being the elected head of whatever this is supposed to grow into sounds a lot more prestigious than just taking the position due to being first, no?
That, genuine ignorance of the irony, or a weird troll.