How do Authors deal with Anxiety?

kalonphaos

I've been in the process of writing my own novel (from both planning to just putting the words on the pages) and although I feel like I've made more progress than I have with other projects in the past, I also just feel incredibly insecure. I know that I'm literally on the first chapter of my first rough draft and that of course it isn't going to be perfect, but recently I feel like it's hard not to collapse under the weight of my own anxiety. I don't get how authors or at least the bigger-name ones manage to just make book after book while it's already overwhelming to me. I don't want to make this a big rant or vent, hence why I wanted to ask - do yall have this anxiety? And if so how do you cope or deal with it?

I just post in Ao3. No one really give a fuck about anything there.

It made me secure that I can just write all the screwed up stuff in my head without anyone calling the police.

lambenttyto

And if so how do you cope or deal with it?
The more importance you place over writing the book, the worse its going to get. You just have to understand that your book is not important, that you can write another one later, that the reactions of other people reading it are also not important. I treat writing like a joke, or something I'm just goofing with. The anxiety goes away and then you can write, and you'll be able to write better, too. So confidence is a huge factor here, or of course, just not assigning too much importance. It's art and the less critical you can be in the creation process, because it's a "creation process" the easier it becomes.

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
That's the neat part, we live with it.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
Most authors who post without restraint have some narcissism going on. It’s kind of funny honestly.

I got over most of my anxiety by posting Smut, writing low effort and seeing that there are some who enjoy it regardless, then being willing to take the hits when it comes.

Not everyone will like what you write, but there will always be someone who does as long as there is some effort put into it. You’ll also get better the more you write.

doravg

105/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
I am by no means a big-named author, but I do feel some anxiety over my writing. I deal with it by having a set time period when I write. Then, I force myself not to care too much on the quality of what I write. Just to put the next word on the page....
and the next...
just one word....
just one letter, if I have to.
But, so help me if I don't spend three hours writing. I chew myself up somewhat fierce, and penalize myself. By withholding sweets, or postponing a meal until my work has been done. Once you get your brain on board with the fact that the stomach won't get anything until the work is done, the anxiety takes a back seat.
Nowadays, I don't have to skip meals as often. I became like a machine, and spit out 5k word quotas every day.

Temple

I have written a few books in the past that I've dropped. I went back to writing after several years of disappearing. Been writing for a couple of years again, and only now, a couple of months in, that I started being a "serious" author (not just posting when I got the time), maintaining 2 stories, and starting to make it part time. And I can say that the more you do it, the easier it gets. I suppose the goal is that it becomes a routine so that you don't think too much about it while doing it.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Courage is not the absence of fear, but the ability to act in spite of it.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
I just have really low self esteem to the point that I stopped caring about things I can't control. Then if someone doesn't like my work or has a critique then I'll use it to better myself without feeling anxiety or embarrassment because I never expected anyone to like my story from the start.

Nirokuro

*Slaying tigers*
I've been in the process of writing my own novel (from both planning to just putting the words on the pages) and although I feel like I've made more progress than I have with other projects in the past, I also just feel incredibly insecure. I know that I'm literally on the first chapter of my first rough draft and that of course it isn't going to be perfect, but recently I feel like it's hard not to collapse under the weight of my own anxiety. I don't get how authors or at least the bigger-name ones manage to just make book after book while it's already overwhelming to me. I don't want to make this a big rant or vent, hence why I wanted to ask - do yall have this anxiety? And if so how do you cope or deal with it?
it i9s always overwhelming at first put don't worry you can just make a remake for it latter out don't forget to announce it first, as for me I am remaking my first 14 chapter, like changing my way of saying the story, fixing grammar, and using more effective words that can indulge the reader for some extent, but set in mind that I am trying I am not a official writer to begin with, also while remaking just remember that 1k words can easily turn into 3k words