How do I get more people to like my novel?

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
As long as you aren't writing foxgirl gender bender GL smut fanfictions there's no way to get popular unless you have a specific "niche" that isn't covered by many people on this site.

Your "problem" would be the BL tag, I think, since there's a pretty big number of people that will avoid your story because of it.

But if it's a passion project then you're writing for yourself anyway and any reader you get is one more than you intended. There aren't enough of those here. Most drop their patreon link before they even write their prologue...

D

Deleted member 54065

I mean I get I have to wait till they notice my novel. But I notice a lot of people SEE it, but they hardly read it. And well, my project is a passion project- so a lot of thought has gone into it. So does anyone have any tips and tricks to help a newbie out?? It would be must appreciated!!!
If you're looking for exposure, and you're writing something the audiences don't like that much, your best bet is to post consistently.

Also it would be helpful for you to know the preferences of readers in a site/platform. For example, Scribblehub audience leans more on gender bender, smut and/or yuri stories. A lot of active users also hated harem genre, so as I am a harem-isekai writer, I don't post my work here.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
A lot of active users also hated harem genre, so as I am a harem-isekai writer, I don't post my work here.
They say they don't, but the active(usually writers) don't really speak for the readers. The results on the front page speak for themselves that harem and isekai isn't even hated by the readerbase.

D

Deleted member 54065

They say they don't, but the active(usually writers) don't really speak for the readers. The results on the front page speak for themselves that harem and isekai isn't even hated by the readerbase.
Well yes, but the ones who always give reviews and comments are the writer-readers, not the readers.

And well, I experienced a huge drop in views after getting negative feedback that are mostly unjustified (like it's way too early in chapters, or personal preferences).

This is my experience on ScribbleHub and RoyalRoad. Other sites? My story is doing well.

SailusGebel

To be fair, Hans's harem isn't the same as harem from popular stories.

Well yes, but the ones who always give reviews and comments are the writer-readers, not the readers.

And well, I experienced a huge drop in views after getting negative feedback that are mostly unjustified (like it's way too early in chapters, or personal preferences).

This is my experience on ScribbleHub and RoyalRoad. Other sites? My story is doing well.
it is because your harem has no seggs

D

Deleted member 54065

I desperately want for K5 to reply to this message with, "Don't forget to teach them how to wear the condom."
While we do have 'sex education' under the Health Subject, I prefer that someone else teach it. Someone qualified.

I know myself that I can't so I'd refrain.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
Cover. That's the other thing I was forgetting.

There's lots of BL artists that would happily accept your commission here, if you've got the money. If you don't have the money, you can use an AI and then spritz it up with your preferred art program.

Also, and most important. @WelcomeToSH

BlackKnightX

There are three aspects that can go well together but often won't: passion, good writing, and appeal.

Passion is basically when people say, "I just write what I wanna write. Doesn't matter if it will go big or not." When people are so adamant about doing what they're passionate about, sometime, like-minded people will join in on their passion, creating a strong fan-base. But oftentimes, this can go wrong as well, as writing for yourself might limit the scope of your audience. Sometime, you can even piss off your readers.

Good writing is a story that gets these kind of reviews: "This story deserves more recognition." "Underated story." "Need more love." The reason why a lot of good stories are so underated is because most of them fail in the next aspect I'm gonna talk about.

Appeal. This is the type of story most readers want to read. Some of them don't even have good writing but are super popular. Some people might call them "overated," "don't understand the appeal," "just follow the hype," but these people don't get why they're so popular in the first place. These stories know how to appeal to the audience. That's all there is to it. The story can be good or bad, if it has the right appeal for the right audience, it will go big. No question about it.

Of course, the best story, in my opinion, is one that combines all three aspects. When you can write a story you're passionate about, while also know your craft well enough to create a good story, and at the same time know what your readers wanna read, you'll be a force to be reckoned with.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
There are three aspects that can go well together but often won't: passion, good writing, and appeal.

Passion is basically when people say, "I just write what I wanna write. Doesn't matter if it will go big or not." When people are so adamant about doing what they're passionate about, sometime, like-minded people will join in on their passion, creating a strong fan-base. But oftentimes, this can go wrong as well, as writing for yourself might limit the scope of your audience. Sometime, you can even piss off your readers.

Good writing is a story that gets these kind of reviews: "This story deserves more recognition." "Underated story." "Need more love." The reason why a lot of good stories are so underated is because most of them fail in the next aspect I'm gonna talk about.

Appeal. This is the type of story most readers want to read. Some of them don't even have good writing but are super popular. Some people might call them "overated," "don't understand the appeal," "just follow the hype," but these people don't get why they're so popular in the first place. These stories know how to appeal to the audience. That's all there is to it. The story can be good or bad, if it has the right appeal for the right audience, it will go big. No question about it.

Of course, the best story, in my opinion, is one that combines all three aspects. When you can write a story you're passionate about, while also know your craft well enough to create a good story, and at the same time know what your readers wanna read, you'll be a force to be reckoned with.
I've had the "This story deserves more recognition". (P.S. The story sucked) Still, you should write for yourself more than others.

Shard

Keeper of Fluffy Tails
As long as you aren't writing foxgirl...
All I need to see is foxgirl and I have to read. Some I have to drop, sadly, but... Fluffy tail > all.

As others have said, for some people, BL is an automatic no, myself included. But being consistent is a huge part of getting views, I recommend at least one chapter per week, preferably two or more. If you can, stock up on chapters while you have motivation, that way you can keep up your release rate when you don't feel like writing. I'd also recommend interacting with your readers if you can, and perhaps ask them to share the novel with others that may like it.

sanitylimited

While we do have 'sex education' under the Health Subject, I prefer that someone else teach it. Someone qualified.

I know myself that I can't so I'd refrain.
imagine needing a qualification for sex. gonna get my major in anal

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
That's what I'm saying, it's all girlkissers all the way down here. Boys who kiss girls, girls who kiss girls, enbies who kiss girls too! I demand more representation for boykissers!
Be the change you want to see!