How do I get more people to like my novel?

Eesee099

I mean I get I have to wait till they notice my novel. But I notice a lot of people SEE it, but they hardly read it. And well, my project is a passion project- so a lot of thought has gone into it. So does anyone have any tips and tricks to help a newbie out?? It would be must appreciated!!!

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
:blob_hide: Sailus is right here, certain stuff is hard to sell regardless of effort. Other stuff sells meanwhile like sliced bread despite faulty grammar, dubious English, incoherent sentence structure, and non-existent plot just because of the themes.

Conclusion, it is a harsh world out there.

Anyway, what is your story about?

Eesee099

:blob_hide: Sailus is right here, certain stuff is hard to sell regardless of effort. Other stuff sells meanwhile like sliced bread despite faulty grammar, dubious English, incoherent sentence structure, and non-existent plot just because of the themes.

My story takes place in an academy; the main genre is mystery. I try to sell the fact that it’s BL, but the romance is hardly present. It’s about a boy who taking revenge in his own way. I don’t want to spoil it so im trying to reveal little about it.

Which just means, I should be happy about my lot. Because i certainly have more ideas thats the same like the popular ones on here but i dont want to betray myself for popularity.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
My story takes place in an academy; the main genre is mystery. I try to sell the fact that it’s BL, but the romance is hardly present. It’s about a boy who taking revenge in his own way. I don’t want to spoil it so im trying to reveal little about it.

Which just means, I should be happy about my lot. Because i certainly have more ideas thats the same like the popular ones on here but i dont want to betray myself for popularity.
BL is significantly overshadowed by GL on SH, and it is much harder to grow an audience.

Assurbanipal_II

:blob_nom: My verdict

Academy: + 5 Academies are always good. People like them.

BL: +/- 5 Bl is double-edged. There are people who read it, but there is also a large crowd of people who instantly say no upon seeing the tag. So neither good, or bad.

Mystery: 0 Cannot rate it, but imo it is a 0. It neither contributes, nor detracts.

Result: +5

Now, your issue is that you are fighting not just against yourself, but all other stories out there for reader attention. Why should they read your work instead of all the others here on SH? You are competing for reading time, and I honestly can't see what makes your work distinctive among hundreds if not thousands of others. :blob_hide:

To beat the algorithm, you might need a bit more spice.

Eesee099

:blob_nom: My verdict

Academy: + 5 Academies are always good. People like them.

BL: +/- 5 Bl is double-edged. There are people who read it, but there is also a large crowd of people who instantly say no upon seeing the tag. So neither good, or bad.

Mystery: 0 Cannot rate it, but imo it is a 0. It neither contributes, nor detracts.

Result: +5

Now, your issue is that you are fighting not just against yourself, but all other stories out there for reader attention. Why should they read your work instead of all the others here on SH? You are competing for reading time, and I honestly can't see what makes your work distinctive among hundreds if not thousands of others. :blob_hide:

To beat the algorithm, you might need a bit more spice.
Yea, I get that, but neither do i want to make my story of something that i didn’t imagine for it. If that makes sense, thank you the advice :blob_melt:

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
I mean I get I have to wait till they notice my novel. But I notice a lot of people SEE it, but they hardly read it. And well, my project is a passion project- so a lot of thought has gone into it. So does anyone have any tips and tricks to help a newbie out?? It would be must appreciated!!!
Do review swaps with other authors, quid pro quo. Both of you will read the first five or more chapters and have them comment on each of them could be a solution to your woes.
I wouldn't mind doing a review and some comments for your story tomorrow if you'll do it for mine.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Yea, I get that, but neither do i want to make my story of something that i didn’t imagine for it. If that makes sense, thank you the advice :blob_melt:
:blobtaco:That is fine. It is a way too. :blob_reach: Here a free hug to support your efforts.

Cipiteca396

🐉🪽🍂🌑🍀🪶🌺
Don't worry about it.

If you need validation, you'd be better off looking for one or two people you can talk about your story with than a million faceless viewers.

If you don't need the personal attention, then just keep plugging away at it. It's a passion project after all, and the passion should come from the work- not the hope of a reward.

That said- There's a few things you can do...

Upload regularly. If you can't write consistently, stockpile your chapters and then release them once or twice a month. Daily would be better, but that would eat your stockpile up. So only do that if you can write a LOT. 2k words per chapter is a good measurement.

Hit the tag limit of 25 tags. The more tags you have, the more likely someone will find you. Use a mix of common and uncommon tags for best effect.

Advertise. Put your story in your signature on the forum, and talk to the BL fans on the site. They have a bit of a cult, and if you join it your work will be far more likely to draw attention.

There's probably more, but honestly, I'm just frustrated that I didn't have the foresight to save my other twenty posts that say this exact same stuff so I can just link you to it. Lost patience. Sorry.

TheMonotonePuppet

A Writer With Enthusiasm & A Jester of Christmas!
Also, put more tags on your story. I'm pretty sure you can have thirteen more than what you have right now. You'd be surprised how useful that can be. I wouldn't have expected that mind control would such a draw, but it is one of the best tags for my story.