How do I write a romance?

H0LL0W

I only know how to write horror and fantasy.
I started a new story, made a general outline with an ending and everything.
I just want to know what I can do to improve my romance writing skills.
Some advice I've heard so far is that
1. Every chapter should have conflict of some kind or a scene that brings the love interests closer together
2. The love interests should improve each others traits after becoming a couple

I worry that my dialogue is too stiff and that I take too long to get to the point. So I worry about conciseness as well. What could I do about that? So far I'm just thinking of doing writing prompts as practice.

MatchaChocolate69

Your Favorite Villain
The concept of romance stripped down to its bones is that of two people who meet and interact, and realize they like each other.

You should focus on the reasons why they like each other, and on their progressively getting closer.
It depends on the writing style, but there should be two different levels: the one of the characters' thoughts and what they actually show.
During the interaction between the two characters, the clashing levels should be the conflict.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
There's no real checkbox list like there's for isekai or cultivation stories. Normally you just follow the 3,4,5,6 sct structure and have a few "will they/won't they?" moments at crucial times.
It just mostly followed the progression of they meet, they greet, they yeet, they breed.

A random idea of progression could be:
-Two characters meet (can be a catastrophe or just small talk)
(insert or don't conflict, drama, or both)
-They interact with each other (can range from sworn enemies to love at first sight)
-Now they can either notice that they like or dislike certain things about a character enough to be interested or annoyed about it
-They interact with each other deeper than before (can still range from sworn enemies to love at first sight)
-They are either forced to cooperate or conflict ( the more conflicts exist the more they need to cooperate and vice versa)
-One character realizes they really like the other
-One character tries to confess
-They officially get together
-((un)happy) End

NoLifeNeet

I don't know much about romance, but from experience of consuming medias I would say a relationship that established very fast like instant noodle turns me off.

They shouldn't after getting to know each other about earning each other trust, at that point they're couples.

And dynamic of push and pull will make the romance more interesting.

The slower the relationship develops the better (I'm not talking about dragging). The reader will feel that MC has earned their lover's heart.

On the other hand, couples that established relationships fast tends to have a rough time after honeymoon phase, as you see in irl examples.

From this point, it's just my pure bias.

1. Every chapter should have conflict of some kind or a scene that brings the love interests closer together

Unless, the romance is the main element. Forcing conflict every seems a bit unrealistic. They should have moment that interact normally even though, they might have bad impressions in their thoughts.

Last edited:

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
I only know how to write horror and fantasy.
I started a new story, made a general outline with an ending and everything.
I just want to know what I can do to improve my romance writing skills.
Some advice I've heard so far is that
2. The love interests should improve each others traits after becoming a couple

I worry that my dialogue is too stiff and that I take too long to get to the point. So I worry about conciseness as well. What could I do about that? So far I'm just thinking of doing writing prompts as practice.
Have you ever met and liked someone?

Yeah, that's how you write a romance.

If you're still in doubt, reply to this message and say "A short one plz". I'll write a short romance story, consisting some main ideas of romance.

Also, another advice, ask a woman about how she views her boyfriend. You might get a little sweet story on how they met. And you might be able to make out what's interesting in that story of hers.
I don't know much about romance, but from experience of consuming medias I would say a relationship that established very fast like instant noodle turns me off.

They shouldn't after getting to know each other about earning each other trust, at that point they're couples.

And dynamic of push and pull will make the romance more interesting.

The slower the relationship develops the better (I'm not talking about dragging). The reader will feel that MC has earned their lover's heart.

On the other hand, couples that established relationships fast tends to have a rough time after honeymoon phase, as you see in irl examples.

From this point, it's just my pure bias.

Unless, the romance is the main element. Forcing conflict every seems a bit unrealistic. They should have moment that interact normally even though, they might have bad impressions in their thoughts.
This one's a good advice. You should apply this and mix it with your element.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Romance is one of the most varied things to write about. There is no one-size-fits-all cap to romance. The closest thing would be romcoms, where the characters gradually develop feelings for each other through dialogue or events.

What type of romance are you trying to write anyway?

FebyA

Romcom/slice of life is a good way to start. There's no need to obsess over writing a good conflict/plot at first, just try to write likeable characters. Write a lot of dialogues and have fun with it.

Interact frequently and try to learn something new about MC and the love interest each time. Overcome shared struggle together, no matter how small.

If you like your character enough, you can then practice writing story arc to win that character heart.

Of course, if you already know what kind of romance you want to write, you should probably try to emulate that and learn.