How do page breaks

Soraza

I see other authors doing page breaks with different symbols besides horizontal lines. How do I do that without affecting the entire document format. Do I just need to use a 3rd party text editor?

EchoingRuby

I assume by "page break" you mean "horizontal rule". Like this:

SH doesn't support custom styled HRs, so whenever you see some fancy looking one what they've actually done is just inserted an image in its own paragraph and centred it.

ACertainPassingUser

You can always use 3 star (***) in the middle

Like this

See, the stars above were indicating page break in the most barebone way possible. A 3 stars in the middle of paragraph with center alignment. Book authors already use them before the advent of internet.

No need for fancy Laurels, some squiggly flower line, or a whole big ass horizontal line. Just three star and align those to middle, and it's done. Like this :

***​

Again, it shows how easy it is to separate paragraph. No need for fancy script or PNG, just your old star (*) symbol and align it to center.

***​

From Wikipedia :

Dinkus​

In typography, a dinkus is a typographic symbol which often consists of three spaced asterisks in a horizontal row, i.e.   ∗ ∗ ∗  . The symbol has a variety of uses, and it usually denotes an intentional omission or a logical "break" of varying degree in a written work. This latter use is similar to a subsection, and it indicates to the reader that the subsequent text should be re-contextualized. When used this way, the dinkus typically appears centrally aligned on a line of its own with vertical spacing before and after the symbol. The dinkus has been in use in various forms since c. 1850.[1][2] Historically, the dinkus was often represented as an asterism, ⁂, though this use has fallen out of favor and is now nearly obsolete.

Asterisms in use
Three asterisks used as a dinkus in the James Huneker novel Painted Veils. In this case, it is being used to accentuate the end of a particularly racy chapter, priming the reader for the change in tone.

Last edited:

Le_ther

You can always use 3 star (***) in the middle

Like this

See, the stars above were indicating page break in the most barebone way possible. A 3 stars in the middle of paragraph with center alignment. Book authors already use them before the advent of internet.

No need for fancy Laurels, some squiggly flower line, or a whole big ass horizontal line. Just three star and align those to middle, and it's done. Like this :

***​

Again, it shows how easy it is to separate paragraph. No need for fancy script or PNG, just your old star (*) symbol and align it to center.

***​

From Wikipedia :

Dinkus​

In typography, a dinkus is a typographic symbol which often consists of three spaced asterisks in a horizontal row, i.e.   ∗ ∗ ∗  . The symbol has a variety of uses, and it usually denotes an intentional omission or a logical "break" of varying degree in a written work. This latter use is similar to a subsection, and it indicates to the reader that the subsequent text should be re-contextualized. When used this way, the dinkus typically appears centrally aligned on a line of its own with vertical spacing before and after the symbol. The dinkus has been in use in various forms since c. 1850.[1][2] Historically, the dinkus was often represented as an asterism, ⁂, though this use has fallen out of favor and is now nearly obsolete.

Asterisms in use
Three asterisks used as a dinkus in the James Huneker novel Painted Veils. In this case, it is being used to accentuate the end of a particularly racy chapter, priming the reader for the change in tone.
Some webnovel authors also uses

--- or ... to make one

Notadate

Example

- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -

Result

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
If you want to get really fancy, you can insert an image.

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Example

- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -- - -

Result
The issue with that is it is two uneven lines on my mobile phone.

Not_A_Symphony

Picasso 2.0
I like to use different symbol combinations like such:

✽✼✽✼✽✼✽
I get the symbols from this website ! It is in portuguese but you get the idea, all you need to do is copy the characters you like from the main row and use them. Hope it helped :blobtaco:

ForestDweller

Unfortunately, you can't copy center alignment from GDoc to SHub. So these days I just use blank spaces as the break.

EnoraTwilight

My brain have wrinkles
Actually if you start typing "----" and press enter scribblehub will fill in a line for you

Soraza

Okay thanks everyone I figured out something that works for me. My dumb ass was using shift enter, due to online habits, to space paragraphs which links the paragraphs. This was making it so whenever I made symbols in between excerpts it would affect the whole chapter when I did a center alignment.