How do you deal with opinionated reviewers?

bOnehEad

if you want to change something from the characters, for example set some minor scene to change something from the character.assumimg that a certain character is rather selfish amd put some minor scene(if you're sure about your decision) and after that he started to restrain his selfishness.

if you constantly read and re-adjust every now and then cuz some review saying why-what something likethat it may affect your future chapters.

KoyukiMegumi

Kitty
:blob_aww: I think you created a powerful emotion for hateful characters. I say be proud the reader hated it so much that he/she needed to vent.

Unless it was about other stuff... Which that review in itself isn't enough to know by. At least by what I understood. You could always ignore the review and move on. It is hard to please everyone, and it was just one review, well let it be and be free!:blob_happy:

E.J.Burgess

I don't have any reviews at all : D tis both a blessing and a curse..?

It's a good sign that you have bad reviews. It means more than just your friends and family are reading your work
:blob_aww: I think you created a powerful emotion for hateful characters. I say be proud the reader hated it so much that he/she needed to vent.

Unless it was about other stuff... Which that review in itself isn't enough to know by. At least by what I understood. You could always ignore the review and move on. It is hard to please everyone, and it was just one review, well let it be and be free!:blob_happy:
yup, agreed. authors who are hated, or whose characters are hated, are good writers..in that they've elicited any response at all from their readers

AuthorSME

You will get many 1 star ratings and reviews, which is natural. Also, 1 out of every 1k people will generally even bother to rate and even review.

Haters are by nature very loud and want to have their voice heard and so they’ll go to more lengths than someone that just reads and enjoys your novels.

I’ve had tens of thousands of readers on my series and there will always be someone bringing in some *projecting from their own lives, talk about politics they spontaneously see in your work, or assume something about you based on various characters.

At this point I rarely even look at reviews. If I have a problem then the fans and patrons will tell me in discord.

I’ve been writing on this site for years and the one thing you learn is that there will always be someone reeeeing. Although, I personally find RR worse in that regard but maybe it’s because there is a bigger audience there.

Overall, take what positive feedback you can get and ignore the rest. You will need to build a thick skin, and don’t give up; you rarely get famous in a month or two unless you hit a specific market at the right time with the proper spotlight on a major site like RR (which you have a better chance at winning the lottery).

Write what you love and you will slowly build a community. People like Pirateaba have been writing and building her audience for several years. It takes consistency so don’t burn yourself out.

Last edited: