How do you feel about betrayal?

Prince_Azmiran_Myrian

🐉Burns you with his Love🐉
Ever think of doing a chapter with the betrayer's POV that goes through all the things they did and why they did it? This us where we'll see the character's motivations beforehand. And since we're spending time in their head, readers might be more accepting. You could also plant seeds of future change.
If you do this prior to the betrayal, readers won't get clotheslined as hard and it could be used to raise the tension higher until it actually happens. Maybe keep the actual backstabbing method a secret so readers still don't know exactly what to expect.

Missivist

So I had an idea where a close friend to the MC was actually setting them up the whole time, but I'm starting to get cold feet because I'm not sure if I set it up enough.
Subvert it. Protagonist growd waaayy too strong to betray, and the friend decides it's easier to just clean the skeletons out of the closet and live a clean life (rather than a short one). :unsure:

TotallyHuman

es tu, Brutus?

but if there was foreshadowing of some kind (even if the reader has to think hard and connect the pieces but it makes sense) then it's all game

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Ever think of doing a chapter with the betrayer's POV that goes through all the things they did and why they did it? This us where we'll see the character's motivations beforehand. And since we're spending time in their head, readers might be more accepting. You could also plant seeds of future change.
If you do this prior to the betrayal, readers won't get clotheslined as hard and it could be used to raise the tension higher until it actually happens. Maybe keep the actual backstabbing method a secret so readers still don't know exactly what to expect.
Been thinking about a PoV where it becomes clear the Traitor is in deep and gets contacted by the boss and goes, "Oh Yeah. Sure. Yeah. Totally. I'm all set to do the back stabbing. Yup. Just say the word boss and stabbty-stab stab." And gives a big thumbs up. Then have a private moment of, "What the fuck am I doing? Like, the boss' plan is dumb. I mean, I was behind the plan, because I love me money, but now, shit. Maybe, you know, not betraying the Hero is the way to go here. 'Course I'm totally gonna get shanked here, but... Is money really worth being a piece of shit?" and save the actual backstabbing for later.
My question is : will that person get rapped aftter the betrayal.
There is a high chance of a rap battle, yes. Althought there will be no mike drops. Mikes are very expensive and if you drop a mike, chances are it will break. So anyone entering the rap battle will have to pay a deposit on the mike,
leave the MC so traumatized he'll never be able to feel trust or love again.
Until, that is, a big tiddy milf squeezes his cock between her ass cheeks,

The fastest way out of a depressive state is, after all, having your knob absolutely slobbered on by a comely maiden
And.... what if the comely maiden is the one doing the betraying?
In my opinion, as long as it's in character or makes sense than its fine. I hate when betrayal is only used for drama.
See, I want to explain, but I also don't want to spoil it. However, out of the three it is the book people read the least, so I'm not too worried about it.

I hate "And Then". I try to "And So". And if I go with this betrayal, it ties up a few previous "And Then" and retroactively turns it into an "And So"

The thing is, here I'll spoil this part, I explained it to someone and they replied, "So You are going with they are the secret child of the villain?"
And then I paused and went, "No. You see... well... No. What is happening is..."
"Wait. Let me think... Uhhh..."
"Yeah, I guess the traitor is the secret 'child' of the villain."
"FUCK."

Am I a hack? Like, it isn't EXACTLY that, but it is close enough that really, if you were to put it into a trope, the traitor is "raised" by the villain and I suddenly went, "Goddamn while this would explain everything, isn't this like the most overused BS ever? Like, yes, it ties shit up, and technically it just shifts the And Then back. Instead of the MC and Friend just happen to meet, the Villain orders the 'child' to made friends with the hero, so that's why they happen to meet. So Hero and traitor would never have met, unless the Villain wanted to set up the hero. And who better to trust then someone you brainwashed from birth?

But it still boils down to, "I'm betraying you cause daddy said so." There's more of a reason, but, that is part of it and I always worry if I am far too clever in my head and that I actually wind up doing something stupid. Like... I dunno. Not quite sure how to put it.

HAVE I STRAYED FROM THE PATH OF THE TRUE NOVELIST AND PARTAKEN OF THE MOST UNHOLY OF CHEESE?

Yeah yeah yeah, it isn't cheese if you do it right, but some tropes have a bit more chedder baked in, if ya know what I mean.

Last edited:

Le_ther

So I had an idea where a close friend to the MC was actually setting them up the whole time, but I'm starting to get cold feet because I'm not sure if I set it up enough.

I have a feeling it'll blind side everyone and come across like a Ryan Johnson movie.

I expect the character to have a change of heart and switch sides back to team MC, but I'm worried it'll ruin the world building. Trusting the author not to lie to you is important. I feel like this set up will just make people go, "Well, if that character is a backstabbing douchebag, then anyone can be at any time. How can I trust any character?"

Dramatic tension says yes, my heart says, "too far".

What are your thoughts about the MC's close friend/lover being revealed a traitor all along?
As long as the betrayal was reasonable and not just a dumb reason to setup something.

Cipiteca396

More Gasoline 🎶
So Hero and traitor would never have met,
That's a setup for a betrayal, all right. But not a betrayal of the Hero. The payoff on this specific sequence of events is usually the 'You reap what you sow' sort of deal. The Villain gave the Hero a powerful ally on accident, causing their own destruction.

Alternatively, yes, the character can betray the Hero and then regret it. That was very popular(no sarcasm) in the Avatar: The Last Airbender. But if you don't do it right it'll almost certainly get called cliché.

Decide if you want the focus of the arc to be the betrayal, or the regret. If it's the first, you'll probably have to kill off the character- redemption equals death. If it's the second, then the betrayal becomes an 'inciting incident' rather than a climax, with the actual climax being the changing of sides. That was too backseaty, I'm sorry.

OP1000

I personally believe that if the reasoning behind the betrayal makes sense and there have been subtle hints to the possibility of the main character being betrayed, then I do not mind if a betrayal occurs in a story.

Anon2024

????????? (???/???)
I like betrayal revenge stories, I prefer it to happen either in the beginning or the middle, then watch the protagonist get revenge.

I don’t like betrayal that ends badly though.

Gibbs505

I have a feeling it'll blind side everyone and come across like a Ryan Johnson movie.

I expect the character to have a change of heart and switch sides back to team MC, but I'm worried it'll ruin the world building. Trusting the author not to lie to you is important. I feel like this set up will just make people go, "Well, if that character is a backstabbing douchebag, then anyone can be at any time. How can I trust any character?"

Dramatic tension says yes, my heart says, "too far".

What are your thoughts about the MC's close friend/lover being revealed a traitor all along?
How do I feel about betrayal? Rather let down!