How do you guys deal with not feeling good enough?

LostLibrarian

I accept that I am not that good right now and go on with my life...

Writing is a skill. Like any other thing. I started with two different sports and was really shit at it. Ended up competing in the nationals. I started running in which I was always bad and ended up completing a marathon. I started playing the guitar and it sounded horrible before I sat down and practiced.

It's weird to me that a lot of people see writing different. As an art where talent is so much more important... I would disagree. Talent is a better starting point and that's it. And with writing there is a lot of things one can do to train: story structure, scene structure, reading, or just simple writing. Even just going back and editing chapters can help.

So whenever I realize that my stuff isn't that good, I just nod and go on. Time to post that chapter for feedback, time to write the next one to get better at writing...

leylli

hey there. I see some people saying you're flexing or bragging, but i personally think that even though some things may seem like they're going well on the outside, it doesn't mean you're feeling great on the inside. so your feelings are completely valid!!

suggestions on what to do: you could write a list of things that make you feel happy, and when you're feeling down, pick something to do to take your mind off things.
you could ss a few comments from your readers to reread when you're doubting your writing, to remind yourself that people do like to read your stories!
try not to beat yourself up!

your writing definitely brings joy to people, otherwise you wouldn't have all those views. hope you can feel better. *hug

D

Deleted member 45782

hey there. I see some people saying you're flexing or bragging, but i personally think that even though some things may seem like they're going well on the outside, it doesn't mean you're feeling great on the inside. so your feelings are completely valid!!

suggestions on what to do: you could write a list of things that make you feel happy, and when you're feeling down, pick something to do to take your mind off things.
you could ss a few comments from your readers to reread when you're doubting your writing, to remind yourself that people do like to read your stories!
try not to beat yourself up!

your writing definitely brings joy to people, otherwise you wouldn't have all those views. hope you can feel better. *hug
exactly. i second this.

DubstheDuke

Arrogance and apathy are the cures to low self esteem and social awkwardness. I would know.

D

Deleted member 45782

Arrogance and apathy are the cures to low self esteem and social awkwardness. I would know.
Lol. This does remind me of how I was once told by someone to act overconfident to make good interview impression. Maybe bc am always low confident, so if i act overconfident, it will balance that confidence scale.

I did not follow this advice thu. I followed what I felt was right and got success. :)

Sylverius

Old name: Sylphias
Whenever I feel discouraged about:
My own story - I try to find all the faults and try to fix it. If only I get more feedbacks so I can make the story better.
My own art - Just keep trying. I try to trace art first then slowly create my own art. Sadly it sucks.
Games - I rest
Study - I rest
Moral of my story, do things at your own pace. If you really like doing it, but you're heavily discouraged, stop. Take a breather. Try to do other things, then continue. For me, it's best to distract yourself of all the discouragements and bad things.

Hope this helps!

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
I sit down, cry for a while, then stand up and get back to writing.

There's nothing else you can do but keep moving.

DreamOfRen

There is this misconception that if you don't measure up you should feel bad.
The reality is that the road to success is paved with the bricks of failure.
Every failure is an opportunity to examine what you did wrong, and correct it. That experience then becomes the power you need to achieve greater heights.

As long as you don't stop, as long as you don't trick yourself into believing that you are not good enough. As long as you apply the effort to grow, and become better -- you will become better. That is the law of the universe. Your effort will be rewarded accordingly at some point.

So, for me , I realize the truth -- and I do things that alter my mood to "trick" the doubt or anxiety. Listen to music that inspires me, or makes me feel anything other than doubt.

Then, I get to work.

Keep walking.

erintesden

Hmm. Quite a balance between trying to be better... But dont worry too much about it either.

Like, lets say you are one those kind of people that compares their writting with their favourite authors and say stuff like "why cant I be as good as this person?!" That shit is bad!! Dont do it!

If you are going to do comparisons, compare you with yourself! Look at your old stuff and your current stuff, so you can say proudly "Wow, I really sucked a year ago. Now Im actually kinda decent!" And go forwards from there, so in another year you can once again see how much better you are then.

WasatchWind

Writer, musician, creator of worlds
Lie awake at night fabricating worse case scenarios in which I never learn to develop my talents or skills, while simultaneously imagining that I will never get or girlfriend, and get married and have a family, and then I will watch the world burning around me as the end comes, only for me to have no one to cling to to survive it all...

I'm sorry, what was the question again?