How do you guys study?

EternalSunset0

When I was a student, I basically just took down notes and review stuff at home. It generally carried me well enough to pass decently for most of my college life (like consistent B/B+ grades) Understanding something and forming a story flow (for history and such) makes things much easier than arbitrarily memorizing things. History's pretty much one long story with lots of names and loads and loads of characters, so if you can remember things with novel plots and/or anime and manga, especially those with many arcs, some of the skills carry over.

It's a different thing for stuff that requires problem solving like maths since those require quite some practice, in which case I just look for reviewers and try to understand everything to an acceptable level while the lessons are going on. That way, I don't have to do a lot of catching up when the major exams roll around.

Think of it as playing an RPG and just proceding at a decent pace, getting sidequests and EXP along the way while not overstaying or being too completionist. That way, you don't have to power grind or think of super big brain strats when the boss fight comes around yet at the same time, stress/tire yourself out too much preparing for the big trial.

Viator

Wandering Moon that conceals the tide
This is a complex question that depends highly on one's learning process. For me, when I was in school I was able to take notes and never review them, while getting A's for the most part. The active physically writing things down would help cement them in my brain, but I rarely had to read over again. If you're more auditory you might consider getting a tape recorder, listening to things over again if you're unclear on certain things lectured in the classroom... Honestly there different types and sales of study you can look up on the internet, if you want to find something that fits your style.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Take notes in class to help with active listening. The very act of taking notes helps you to remember things. I didn't often study my notes unless there was something I had to memorize. Just flip through your notes and think about how well you remember the lesson and if there are any problem areas you need to review. Read your textbooks. In high school, I read it once to myself, and then my parents read it aloud to me while I cooked.

miyoga

In addition to what everyone else has said, and I know that this is a year away, find old AP exams to see what the questions are like. If you know that then you can kinda figure out where you need to spend more time. APUSH wasn't that hard, but the AP test was asking for details and specific examples.

When you take notes, take them as science notes. Literally make the social sciences a "science" if that will help you study. Then there's the standard ask classmates for help with studying/notes, ask the teacher for help/advice/transfer (AP is a choice, not a requirement), ask upperclassmen who've taken it for their advice.

Honestly, it wasn't that hard. You'll be about 1.5-2 weeks ahead of the regular US history class in the book, so not that big a deal, and you'll be expected to elaborate more and give better details. In other words, the comparison to writing a story isn't that far off if you're doing some world building or lore crafting.

Octopal

Study? What is that?
Just steal the answer sheet and memorize it

Daitengu

Repetition. It's the only way I found to work. And that's from trying to learn to play Guilty Gear for the better part of a decade. I'm extremely terrible at fighters, but I brute force repeatedly played for years to get half ass decent.

Fortunately you're talking history class. I find it easier to learn by adding context via YouTube to the summarized lessons in history. Having good stories to go with the boring dates helps.