How do you let your character succeed his first trial?

TestingTeddy

I've always wanted to know what are the thoughts other authors have when they want their character to succeed from a problem they are facing.

My thought process on the matter has made few and they are:
  1. Someone saves them
  2. Already strong from the start
  3. Gains a cheat either a weapon or a skill
  4. Uses new or clever plan
  5. Ruthless
  6. Surrender
  7. Deal with opponent
  8. Run away
Now, here's the problem. Take away all of the things I listed, how does he succeed? (Please consider death if character chooses to surrender.)

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
I've always wanted to know what are the thoughts other authors have when they want their character to succeed from a problem they are facing.

1. Someone saves them
  5. Ruthless
  6. Surrender
  7. Deal with opponent
  8. Run away
Now, here's the problem. Take away all of the things I listed, how does he succeed? (Please consider death if character chooses to surrender.)
Have sex with the problem. Possibly drug the problem.

Ral

11. Deus ex Machina

This is what most stories here use.

TremendousHuman

Deleteriously devilish, deliciously dumbfounding
Gives it some time and the problem stops being a problem(has cancer!)? Negotiates with the opponent and comes to a compromise (is falling off a cliff)? Bears with it until the problem is over or hides(is poisoned)? Join the enemy because they make more sense(suicidal cultists during an act of terrorism)? Come up with a stupid and old plan?

Mihou

Firefly—
I made my character die and finally rest in peace on the first trial, finally free from the painful world.. or so he thought but I, the author am sadistic and decided to revive him back...

- Someone saves his back, but the person is another enemy and the second trial starts >:)

UnattainableBlueRose

1. Someone saves them
  5. Ruthless
  6. Surrender
  7. Deal with opponent
  8. Run away
Be smart use your wits and of course money lots of money σ`∀´)σ

Jemini

This is kinda worth consideration, because the way your character solves problems actually says a lot about them. In that sense, the way they address the first major trial is really more about character building than anything else. That said, it should still have the appropriate amount of tension to keep it interesting.

EDIT: Also, you're missing a pretty important option. Teamwork.