How do you make a likeable romantic interest?

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
The title!

What are your tips for making a likeable (shippable) romantic interest?

You know... like if there were a hypothetical character poll for your story, what would cause a romantic interest to rank highly among readers?

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
The best love interests do not fall in love immediately. Seeing two love interests grow together and come to love each other will also cause the readers to invest in their relationship and root for them more strongly.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Flat characters are hard to love and I mean flat personality *cough*. You need characters with depth to them and aren't just trope characters.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Make them have some flaws/faults.
Otherwise they will seem too perfect and unrealistic.
This could be a loud mouth, an aggressive personality, a poor sense of humour, poor intelligence, too high an intelligence, dense, etc...
Then make them have a redeeming quality to counteract the flaw.
X

Stormie

[Kite-Flying On A Boat ⛵]
The title!

What are your tips for making a likeable (shippable) romantic interest?

You know... like if there were a hypothetical character poll for your story, what would cause a romantic interest to rank highly among readers?
I usually go more for compatibility. Either they don't seem compatible at first or they are compatible but certain circumstances are not allowing them to be together. It's satisfying to see the leads develop their relationship.

Also, try to have those "OMG, the ship has sailed!" moments. Overdose your readers with sugar.

Raneday

tђє ฬคภ๔єгเภﻮ ฬเtςђ
Well I enjoy reading love interests that have a "gap moe" feel on them

Anon2.0

[Dia]
I think the best would be to base it off your own interests? Chances are, what you find attractive are what other people find attractive... unless you like being abused, that’s a smaller niche

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
I think the best would be to base it off your own interests? Chances are, what you find attractive are what other people find attractive... unless you like being abused, that’s a smaller niche
*likes well-trimmed short beards*
owo

X

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
>.< I'm not really fond of mustaches. They get in the way!!! Although beards are good as long as they're not gandalf bushy.

Wait, why am I even talking about this lol

Hmm... I don't trust my own tastes. TwT

Arcturus

CEO of Cat Corps
>.< I'm not really fond of mustaches. They get in the way!!! Although beards are good as long as they're not gandalf bushy.

Wait, why am I even talking about this lol

Hmm... I don't trust my own tastes. TwT
I prefer clean-shaven/minimal facial hair myself, but a well groomed moustache and beard can be very nice.