How do you make a likeable romantic interest?

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
You're very noticeable to me. And how is discussing preferences in facial hair impure anyway? It's not like we were talking about something like the size of someone's ****
So I don't exactly hide my rotten-ness, but there's even a limit for what I'll talk about hahaha rofl

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
You're very noticeable to me. And how is discussing preferences in facial hair impure anyway? It's not like we were talking about something like the size of someone's ****
The size of someone's head?
Foot?
Nose?
Neck?
Chin?

*tilts head*
X

ohko

tilda~ me~ home~ ♪
You know, "nose" is actually a really relevant one.

There are quite a few countries where getting plastic surgery on your nose is really common. I think it is in Iran, for instance.

Econ

Sometimes show their smaller interactions. Both characters supporting each other and thinking for the good of the other. Avoid over-enthusiasm.

Alverost

Eternal Procrastinator
Staff member
Avoid unrealistic relationship, most relationship will encounter problems that is just how it goes. However, don't do the shoujo route and add on love interest on love interest (unless you are writing shoujo but even then I don't recommend.) Relationship will have moments where everything just break down but will also be build up from what was broken to be better.

Nahrenne

Pure and Innocent Maiden~
Avoid unrealistic relationship, most relationship will encounter problems that is just how it goes. However, don't do the shoujo route and add on love interest on love interest (unless you are writing shoujo but even then I don't recommend.) Relationship will have moments where everything just break down but will also be build up from what was broken to be better.
Also, don't have too many misunderstandings happen. That's a huge Shoujo trope, which gets annoying and predictable very quickly.
X

Ddraig

<First Dragon of SHF> <Pokemon Goddess of NuF>
Flat characters are hard to love
Exactly, oppais are really important

Also, don't have too many misunderstandings happen. That's a huge Shoujo trope, which gets annoying and predictable very quickly.
X
the misunderstandings plot requires a lot of skill to pull off and really needs the whole story to be about it

Another thing is read likeable romantic interests, examples of it will definitely help you make one too.

Chiisutofupuru

A legit reply to the original question from January XD
In order for readers to like characters in a romance fic it's usually as simple as spending time with the characters themselves. Getting to know them when they are both around and not around the romantic interest. Getting to know their family and friends, their problems, their goals in life... and how the romance could change things.

The characters doing the romancing should be fleshed out and the readers should spend time to get to know them.

AHCC

If the girl isn't a bitch at least, then that's good enough. It doesn't really matter if she love the boy or not, the least she can do to qualify for a ship is to have an interest on the boy

glenn-fletcher

The best way to write a love interest is to make them an actual character first and a love interest second. If they’re fleshed out in any way and their reasons for getting with the MC or whoever make sense, then that makes things a hundred times better.