How do you rate your naming sense?

Maze_Runner

□■ - I like running in mazes - ■□
I normally look up whatever gender they are and then names. (Like male names or female names) and then I use a spinner if I can't decide which one I would like to use (So probably like 6/10)
:blob_sir: :blob_sir: :blob_sir:

iamchangingthissoon

custom title! yay
i'd say, random name generator+1/10.

either that or i'll spend days going through wiki articles finding the history behind the name and what not. Only to forget it later

NoraNali

1/10 I basically name all my important characters after my friends with only a letter changed
Hannah ---> Hanna
Yea I'm lazy like that.

Gryphon

The One who has the Eyes
I see a lot of people on this thread struggling on how to come up with names, and worry not, I'm here to help. After all, I have more than a hundred named characters in my head, and I'd say that only 10% of them is lackluster. My most lackluster name is just John Serene which still stands out.

So how do I come up with names? Depends on the importance of the character. Random dude gets normal names, like William Smith or something in that vain. If it's fantasy, then I'd change up the name to something like, Willy Sirth. Got it? Nice, I'mma go on to the next point.

If the character is somewhat important, but not a main character than I'd come up with a unique name for them. Their names are never used by another character unless if they're family and share the same last name, or if their name sharing is plot relevant for whatever reason. Think about something like Ymir from SnK. For side characters I'd name them something like, John Serene, Heather Weltch, or Michael Heathcliff. These names, although somewhat normal, stand out cause they're not seen as often.

Then comes to main characters, which is just side character naming treatment but on crack. I have a Kauss Mellow from a RR series I did and an Alex Rainer from a series that I'm planning out. I just make these names up out of nowhere while also keeping them somewhat pronounceable. No reader wants to say a seven syllable name every time they see a character.

Then there's foreign names, which can be extremely fun as hell to come up with. This is for a few reasons, those being you can make their names symbolic and metaphorical to either their role in the story or the themes of the story. For instance, in my story I have a Chinese bartender named Zihao Yang. In English, his name basically means "proud opposite." This is because he's a foil to my main character, Ty Peon, whose last name has metaphorical meaning to his character. Ty is an inclusive person, not really enjoying much people's company, whereas Zihao loves going out and interacting with people and is proud of himself, hence his name.

Don't even get me started on fantasy character naming. You can also turn names into world building. For instance names in one country could be something like, Harold Wells, whereas in another it could be something like, Mevew Kich-Mo. Then you can come up for meanings for the made up names and I have to stop myself before I get into the importance of naming when world building is involved.

Hopefully this helps someone.

KazuXSora

You see.. im not gay but my name came from Kazuki and Sora(hence KazuxDora) which is both male...

Squirrel

I give my characters name according to their special traits, all my names have beautiful meanings. I love to give names to my characters. So I would give myself 9?

OsiriumWrites

Online random name generator go brrr~
This 100%

I can conjure up entire worlds, describe rolling mountains or bottemless oceans. I can drown you in complex lore, stats and reshape your limited imagination as to what true evil can be.

But naming someone on my own? Best I can do is Bob.

Although Bob the necromancer has a fun ring to it.

JohnDoe9838

Hmm, I'd give myself a 4/10, not very original of me.
I use Spanish names so maybe to an English speaker it seems a bit exotic anyway.
I haven't given a chance to write anything fantasy yet, so there I guess I'm going to have to step up my game.

(I'll probably do some Spanish name mishmash again).