How do you write a believable fight scene?

NotaNuffian

This does spark joy.
Making @PeacefulMyst eat his own words. Never promise for others.

Because I had seen fight scenes that are too detailed like Rupegia or too vague/ awkward phrasing like most WNs.

Carefully or bashfully are not answers.

Holder-of-the-metal-bat

It's all in the rythm. You can manipulate the length of the sentences.

Also, good fighting scenes usually show the culmination of the character's work or development. It's when the character shows everything they learned.

However you can also use short combat descriptions for when the character is training, or when they are just too strong for their opponent.

Point of view is another tool your can use. Show what a passerby or what the opponent sees and feels. It helps to show the level of the fight when characters get too strong.

Le_ther

Well, this is my own opinion. I am more interested in fighting scenes with characters having a inner monologue to give more descriptions to what is happening and have the opponent to also be responding towards the actions of the protagonist like:

["-Shnnnng

The sword slashed downwards as I moved my left arm backward as quickly as possible.

I looked towards the person trying to kill me as he gaze at me with more killing intent.

'Sh*t, I'm going to die if the fight gets longer'

I held my sword more fiercely as I change my stance to a defensive position"]

It just makes fighting scenes more lively and more exciting. There is also tons of exceptions if it's a one-sided fight or perhaps a large scale war

TotallyHuman

You turn on the metal gear OP and then it kinda unravells itsel-
STANDING HERE
I REALIZE
YOU ARE JUST LIKE ME
TRYNNA MAKE HISTORYYYY
BUT WHOS TO JUDGE
THE RIGHT FROM WRONG
WHEN OUR GUARD IS DOWN
I THINK WELL BOTH AGREE

VIOLENCE BREEDS VIOLENCE
BUT IN THE END
IT HAS TO BE THIS WAY

DUDUDUUDUUDDUUUU

Fearnaught

Fights are fast, chaotic and end quickly. Whoever gains the upper hand early on usually wins.