Writing How do you write a gloomy atmosphere

MasFaqih

Emmm i dont know how to write atmosphere,i get the image in my head but cant express it ,care to help me?

Last edited:

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Describe the scene. What is in the image? Are there old and dark hallways? Are the lights faint or flickering? Maybe there was a cave-in on a portion of a house. There might be an old windy corridor because the window had been broken for years.

It also depends on what you find gloomy and the setting. If it is a war setting the gloomy atmosphere will be painted by the soldiers and their emotions. If they are having to trudge through thick mud, then they might complain about it when they finally get to rest. Maybe one of them says something about watching a comrade get shot in the head.

quagma

subatomic cephalopod
well, for a start, it's spelled, "atmosphere". If you want to make it gloomy, focus on the darker details. Be it a sad scene in a hospital, or a dingy hovel, or even a funeral. Gloom comes in creepy or sad, so those should be the feelings you should try to evoke in the descriptions.
Stuff like, "the room was dark, and dingy. Orphanface McNoparents sighed before breaking a hard piece off his bread, the crumbs adding to the mess surrounding him"
or,
"Nothing moved in the stillness of the night. Fog drifted through the streets, unsure of where to go. A scream rang through the empty city, cut off halfway, followed by deafening silence."

MasFaqih

Describe the scene. What is in the image? Are there old and dark hallways? Are the lights faint or flickering? Maybe there was a cave-in on a portion of a house. There might be an old windy corridor because the window had been broken for years.

It also depends on what you find gloomy and the setting. If it is a war setting the gloomy atmosphere will be painted by the soldiers and their emotions. If they are having to trudge through thick mud, then they might complain about it when they finally get to rest. Maybe one of them says something about watching a comrade get shot in the head.
What about a bloody scene thas describe someone in the verge of death after his bone has been dug out

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
What about a bloody scene thas describe someone in the verge of death after his bone has been dug out
If he is dying, then the gloom will come from the people surrounding him usually. Or if he is alone, you do what I did above. Describe the lonely setting.

In the case of his friends being around him, maybe they try to comfort him in death. They say simple, sweet words of reminiscing.

If he is dying alone that already adds some gloom. Maybe he cries and curses the fact he is dying alone, so he is filled with regret as he dies.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
Emmm i dont know how to write atmosfer,i get the image in my head but cant express it ,care to help me?
What I do is to try to tie the current emotions of the pov character into the description of the setting to establish an atmosphere. Let me try here:
The cicadas buzz their cries accompanying the warm summer night. It is on days like this I remember my grandparents. When I was young, my parents would drive & drop us off me there during my summer vacation. I went every year until… That was ten years ago now wasn’t it. The constant hum grows louder as I take a deep breath and exit my house. The green grass, pastel houses, and bright moon accompany me on my walk to my memories. My bare feet guide me down the old road, and I find my way back to where my past grew.

MasFaqih

If he is dying, then the gloom will come from the people surrounding him usually. Or if he is alone, you do what I did above. Describe the lonely setting.

In the case of his friends being around him, maybe they try to comfort him in death. They say simple, sweet words of reminiscing.

If he is dying alone that already adds some gloom. Maybe he cries and curses the fact he is dying alone, so he is filled with regret as he dies.
What about a lonely struggle but saved at the ends

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
What about a lonely struggle but saved at the ends
Do the same thing. Have him be filled with regret as he fights for his life. Being magically completely healed after will kind of defeat that whole moment tho.

So_Indecisive

Primordial sin of Sloth
well, for a start, it's spelled, "atmosphere". If you want to make it gloomy, focus on the darker details. Be it a sad scene in a hospital, or a dingy hovel, or even a funeral. Gloom comes in creepy or sad, so those should be the feelings you should try to evoke in the descriptions.
Stuff like, "the room was dark, and dingy. Orphanface McNoparents sighed before breaking a hard piece off his bread, the crumbs adding to the mess surrounding him"
or,
"Nothing moved in the stillness of the night. Fog drifted through the streets, unsure of where to go. A scream rang through the empty city, cut off halfway, followed by deafening silence."
I was feeling the gloomy atmosphere until I heard Orphanface 😂😂 what kinda name even is that

ManwX

Im from a Timeline where nuclear war destroyed all
i imagine my daily routine and the way technology is pushing us into a dystopian future.... then writing gloomy atmosphere just hits different

DevonHexx

Show don't tell is rule number one. And try to involve as many of the senses as possible. Sight is the easiest. Dim, cloudy, deep shadows. Sound: rain falling? Rain is used for creating a gloomy mood all the time in film and TV. It tends to bring people down. The sound of silence? Empty rooms, no bird song where usually there is some. Wind rustling dry leaves. Dry leaves indicate fall, changing of the seasons, the high days of summer are gone. Dampness, longer nights, cold temperatures, the land dying, etc. All of those come to mind with the sound of rustling dead leaves. Smells? Musty, stale air. The smell of water damage, mold and mildew, rot and decay. Touch is cool or cold temperatures. Chill wind tugging at clothing, slithering inside collars and up sleeves.

All of those can be used to set the tone of the scene.