How long have y'all been writing? What have you improved on?

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
I've been writing in paper notebooks ever since I learned how to write. It was often how I entertained myself while my parents were doing choir practice and didn't have a babysitter. I think I published a poem in 2007, but I didn't publish any fanfiction until about 2011.

I'm too busy juggling keyboard and baby to think about what I have improved on at the moment.

BlackKnightX

I just started a few weeks ago and it’s been fun so far.

Honestly, I decided to write my own story for a while now, but all I did was procrastinating in the facade of doing a research.

What I’ve learnt after I started writing for real was that, actually writing it is the best way to learn and improve.

After that, my writing became much faster and more easier. It feels natural now and I have no fear of writing a story no more.

Ilikewaterkusa

You have to take out their families...
Like the title says, I'm curious on how long people here have been writing for. Also I wanted to know how much you improved and what have you improved most on? Personally, I started writing at the start of May 2021.
I think I began in 2019. Just improved on getting the core of the work, the feel of it, in a precise and concise manner.

JMMatheis

I started writing for my own enjoyment in 1996, world building, character creating, short stories/histories and even started writing chapters with intent to be published traditionally (did a few rewrites too). All the same universe/setting.

:blob_pat_sad: In the start of 2009, the dark times started and I stopped writing. The worlds in my head kept living, I kept a number of traditional notebooks that I would write notes in when they got too loud. But actual, meaningful writing, none.

July, last year (2020), started up writing again and last night I just chewed through 500,000 words of all new content. (story/history/notes/and discarded story elements) :blob_dizzy:

Improvements are VAST. Pre-2009 me had issues with dialogue, I had lots of great ideas and scenes but had issues with connecting them together over a book length. I had good world building, but... :blob_hmm:

Post-2020 me, it is sorted. I am happy with where I am now. My dialogue has improved massively and I have a firm picture of my stories and how to lay them down. Sure, there is always room for improvement. I need to sharpen and streamline some of the dialogue and, clean up my tenancies for superfluous description. The main thing is that my style is the way I want it now. (but there is always new ways of evolving!) :blob_highfive:

Only started posting my work up publicly just over a month ago. :blobthumbsup:

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
People improve? All I do is get worse and worse as time goes on.