How long should a regular chapter be?

Azrie

Redemption Seeker
So, just to be clear. I did not read anything in the thread because I just wanted to reply. Now with that out of the way -- about chapter lengths.

Personally, I suggest they should at least be 1.2k words. Mostly because otherwise, the reader might find them way too short. Which could be a detriment to the experience in general; other than that, you are free to do whatever you want. I have chapters that are 3900 words, I have chapters that are split in multiple parts. My last two chapters are 10000 and 9000 words respectively; split into 4 parts each. It just depends on where you want to cut it. I personally leave each individual post at a 2k words minimum and 4k words maximum. Anyway, I hope I offered some type of perspective although I can already see the. "It was written by x person already in the thread." response.

Vanny

A lot of people probably disagree with my short chapter format. But, if you make every word count it does work. Most of my old ones are amateurish, but as I improve my stories are written even more potently.

And, I have seen this sort of writing succeed. Nelson DeMille, Dean Koontz, and some others do it. For now I'll just keep whacking at hit.

Andro

I mostly write between 2500 - 5000 words/chapter. I just can't write shorter chapters than this. Plus I don't like short chapters also.

Ninetailed_Furball

Any story with so many shorter chapters is far more often than not, lacking in key description, or any description except maybe bare bones which I also dislike. If you can't be bothered to describe something and make only a half-hearted attempt at it, then why are you writing it in the first place? And then comes details. Having such short chapters means scenes will have to be condensed or stretched out over multiple chapters which are okay usually IF they are short scenes. Otherwise, it is unnecessary to have more than 2 chapters for a single scene at most, unless it's an epic battle scene, which then falls under an entirely different category of rules which are irrelevant here in this particular thread. However, having appropriate dialogue, proper action and detail, and then shoving it into one chapter so short....I just can't see it. If it is done, something somewhere has been sacrificed even if the writer themselves can't identify it.

And also, I have actually read several stories before with shorter chapters, and as I mentioned, it typically did one of two, (sometimes both) faults I cannot accept in writing if I plan to read it. It either stretched a single scene, or something simple at least out over multiple chapters which like I said, is not necessary and shouldn't be done. The other thing they typically did if not the former mistake, was they were so minuscule in descriptive detail that I couldn't picture anything.

Yes, I should use my imagination, but I shouldn't have to use my imagination solely to picture YOUR story. You have to lay the groundwork before my mind can produce the structural foundation of the image you are trying to portray. If you can't do that or don't think the writer is responsible for this, than your writing will NEVER grow in the way you likely imagine it will.

Of course, this is my opinion and I accept people will disagree and that is fine.
To be honest, I'm in agreement for the most part with you. If a chapter is too short, then it feels like the author hadn't actually put in much thought into their story.

MC walks into a building that's important, but doesn't describe anything. Am I supposed to guess what it looks like? What about the people? Important characters? Since it's a generic swords and sorcery story, can I presume it's middle-ages style? Eastern or western European? What if my imagery focuses more on Victorian? Roman? What if my exposure to historical stuff centred around Asian influences? What if my background has me know real middle ages history intimately, but has a weak understanding of popular medieval fictional aesthetics? (They're pretty different depending on the works)

I'll admit that I've made this mistake all over the place in my own story, but when the average chapter length is less than what I often devote to describing the opening scene when the MC reaches a new location, I'm often forced into the conclusion that "this doesn't matter much" or "the author doesn't care much".

It's a bit harsh, but I don't have much time to devote on stories that authors don't put in proper effort into unless if there's something in particular to draw my attention. I'm currently reading 'They Said My Status Stayed the Same Even Though I Reincarnated in Another World!?', and honestly, the only reason why I hadn't dropped it already is because the translator's been releasing three to four chapters per release. It's really troubling when the author cuts most scenes into 3+ because they only write 500 words per. Even right now, the latest scene is just an introduction and exposition conversation and it's taken 4 chapters to say almost nothing. There's more problems than the low word count, but low word counts are often pretty indicative of a lack of effort. I mean, I can pop out over 500 words on my way to work each day if I didn't care too much about quality.

The other problem about short lengths is that it's just over too quickly. I don't mind waiting a bit for a release if the chapter length is long, but if it's short, I tend to drop it if it doesn't come out daily or something, as I'm not being entertained enough when I can read the entire chapter in between two stops on the bus.

In the end, I prefer to read 2k+ word chapters. 2k tends to give the right minimum of length to properly enjoy it without annoying my want for enough time used. Longer is better, though obviously there's a limit to that. I think 6k is where it's gone too far for me.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
A chapter should be as long as the story intends it to be. Remember that a chapter is for the purpose of bringing the story a step closer to a conclusion. It has to contain a set-up, a conflict and a conclusion.

But how, you ask. How do I be sure of my chapter's length just by following these simple rules?

Now here is where chapter outlining comes. It doesn't need to be a giant flow chart or a mind map of who talks to who or what happens down to the single drop of water. All you need to do is just list the characters, list out the barest of objectives and start writing. Make sure to be as bare boned as possible. No salad dressing or extra lacing on the side. That's the chapter's job to do. The chapter outline's job is to lay out the main focus and idea and then let it flow as you write.

Why are my characters here? What are they doing here? What are they aiming to achieve? Does this contribute to the main plot or the side stories? are the questions you should be asking as you outline the chapter.

If you can finish the outline by answering these questions, you can be sure that your chapter has an adequate amount of words. You don't need to worry about your average length or anything of those sorts. As long as it does what it intends to do, it's enough.