How much do you outline your story before writing it?

K_Jira

How much or what are the things you planned out before you start writing? Or does it change depending on what kind of stories you want to write? If so, what are the essentials that you definitely write down in all of them?

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
I use checkpoints, essentially what needs to happen in my story. I'm very flexible with my writings but I still have points I need to cover in between the checkpoints.

The good side of my method is I have a lot of freedom and don't have to keep my story on a tight schedule.

But the downside it...

Screenshot_20230611_011721_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20230611_011712_Gallery.jpg

(Red text is the main plot/main arcs, black text is what need to happen between the main arcs)
What was supposed to be 50 chapters between the checkpoints turned into almost 100 chapters. I created the text version of the Gordian Knot.

But it's alright, I'm having fun exploring my world and my characters.

LilRora

Mostly formless
I generally have a rough outline in my head and come up with details as I go.

The exception to that is when I'm writing a story that's supposed to convey some specific message, then I plan it all from the beginning and only adjust the details when writing.

Last edited:

Bobple

Varies. Mostly on the type of story, and why I want to write it and where the idea comes from.

HOWEVER, most of time its method 1!

Method 1, on the bare basic level, the essentials are one or more of the following.
- Powers of The MC
- Personality of the MC
- World of the Story
- A plot point or the story I want to tell.

So if I have idea of story, and know one or more of the above, I might try writing it. So overall, basically just a really rough outline.

After I start writing I may create a specific plan for the story or arc, but that's a different topic from the question.

However, then there is the two other extreme ends.

Method 2 is where I go into a LOT of detail making the world, characters and plot of the story. This is mainly for a stories that I want the whole "world" (the area where the story takes place) to feel really lived in, with a lot of moving parts. So I usually save this for the more detailed orientated stories. (Currently, I'm using this method for a WIP story that I haven't posted yet).

Then Method 3 is on other extreme, is where I know literally everything that will happen in a story. This comes from a different place thought. So instead of purposely planning out everything, I basically simulate a story--from start to whenever it finishes--in my own mind over a period of a week to couple months (Who needs tv when you can just program your brain to create your entertainment?!). Then I have a full story, which I just need to copy paste from my mind to page. However, I haven't done this for the purpose of creating a story, its usually for my own entertainment first, and they I try to make it into a story.

But yeah, most of them its just method 1. I just get idea of a fun MC or story and I may plan out a bit extra, but I usually just try writing about 10 chapters to see if I like the concept or not.

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
Make a beginning. Choose a vague theme that even I can't remember.
And then 50 chapters later, an outline magically comes to me when I'm doing random things.
It just happens to me, I guess.

Story_Marc

Share your fun!
Given that I'm a top-heavy bi-brain writer (not like that, it's neuroscience), I need both outlining and pantsing. For me, I outline the macro and pants the micro. The bigger stuff act as waypoints that I'm always working toward.

D

Deleted member 113259

What I do is I make waypoints but then put in so many chapters in between those waypoints that I'm not at the second waypoint yet, so the entire story ends up being improvised as if there was no outline at all.

miyoga

Bob beat me to it, a lot depends on what/how you're writing.

My stories are combining mythology and well-known published works into outrageous short stories. As such, my story planning is pretty much nil. At the same time, I have to plan how my characters will move about and interact with the world which is mostly going with a "that sounds funny, let's do that" mentality.

If I were to do more than short stories with it, I'd plan things much more than I do (and it's something to consider later on if I build up a large enough cast to sustain something like a longer novel). Similarly, if my shorts were entirely original works with only passing references to something, then I'd plan a lot more than I did. My short, for example is firmly set on the first 2 pages of the Chinese novel "Journey to the West" (an epic that rival's Homer's "Odyssey and Illiad"). Literally, if you read a decent translation, assuming that you don't know Chinese, and then read my short, you'll see the entire sequence of events contained on pages 1 and 2 but with fantastical elements and fictional details added. My current one, is delving into Norse myths and Poe's "The Raven" and I'm looking at Greek as being the 3rd with considerations for Egyptian and Indian after that.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
How much or what are the things you planned out before you start writing? Or does it change depending on what kind of stories you want to write? If so, what are the essentials that you definitely write down in all of them?
i start with concepts and little else.

ACertainPassingUser

Currently,
I'm still on drafting and outlining my own 10 chapter story with 10,000 word every chapter, totaling on 100,000 word overall.

I hate free flowing writing because in my opinion, they're written with the principle of "It last as long as the author can hold on", which would mean abrupt ending since the author forced an ending, or simply Hiatus when the author simply tired.

I planned my story Completely from begining to end. And writing filler is very boring.

And also, I have quite a bit of Hoarding disorder. Cutting unnecessary content that would potentially just be a unnecessary plot point is quite hard.

K_Jira

I generally have a rough outline in my head and come up with details as I go.

The exception to that is when I'm writing a story that's supposed to convey some specific message, then I plan it all from the beginning and only adjust the details when writing.
When I first start writing, I also do this. Mostly having the protagonists I want to write and how I want the story to end.
I outline the beginning and end...
and pull the the middle out of my ass
Yes, like this lol.
Varies. Mostly on the type of story, and why I want to write it and where the idea comes from.

HOWEVER, most of time its method 1!

Method 1, on the bare basic level, the essentials are one or more of the following.
- Powers of The MC
- Personality of the MC
- World of the Story
- A plot point or the story I want to tell.

So if I have idea of story, and know one or more of the above, I might try writing it. So overall, basically just a really rough outline.

After I start writing I may create a specific plan for the story or arc, but that's a different topic from the question.

However, then there is the two other extreme ends.

Method 2 is where I go into a LOT of detail making the world, characters and plot of the story. This is mainly for a stories that I want the whole "world" (the area where the story takes place) to feel really lived in, with a lot of moving parts. So I usually save this for the more detailed orientated stories. (Currently, I'm using this method for a WIP story that I haven't posted yet).

Then Method 3 is on other extreme, is where I know literally everything that will happen in a story. This comes from a different place thought. So instead of purposely planning out everything, I basically simulate a story--from start to whenever it finishes--in my own mind over a period of a week to couple months (Who needs tv when you can just program your brain to create your entertainment?!). Then I have a full story, which I just need to copy paste from my mind to page. However, I haven't done this for the purpose of creating a story, its usually for my own entertainment first, and they I try to make it into a story.

But yeah, most of them its just method 1. I just get idea of a fun MC or story and I may plan out a bit extra, but I usually just try writing about 10 chapters to see if I like the concept or not.
Wow. I think I'll try one of your methods for my next story. But for the essentials, I think I'll go for MC's personality and occupation/race instead. And because I mainly write romance, the dynamic with their pairing as well.

Jmoonday

I generally have an idea how it will end and what my goals are for each character. Whether it be growth, death, or some other development.
Usually for me it goes something like this:

1. Jot an idea in a notepad.

2. If the idea is interesting enough for me that I can think about it for a while and still be interested then someone else might too.

3. Once it passes that stage I plan out some characters and dabble in worldbuilding, not too much because I don't really like imposing strict rules on everything before I have words on the page.

4. Then I establish story arcs, then try to give myself at least a word count limit to keep it somewhat grounded.

5. I usually just write one arc at a time, planning in depth only a few chapters ahead while using the goal/ending as a way to keep everything on track.

Writing as it comes just feels more natural in my mind, and honestly my drafts usually go through a few rewrites before I feel satisfied.

D

Deleted member 54065

Well, I start with the entire theme, genre and plot, from start to finish.

1). I determine the theme first, since it will serve as my reference if ever I noticed I was going out of direction.

Themes also included the main problem of the story, and how the characters reacted to the main problem, which will serve as the 'backbone' of the novel itself.

2). I also determine the genre, since it will give me the tone I wanted for my story.

3). Then, the plot. I write the usual intro, rising action, climax, falling tension and ending.

Once I planned those down, depending on the writing style, I would set the volumes/books, or just plot the themes of each chapter.

Planning for each volume is similar to how I plan my entire story, though the scope is limited since it's only for the said volume.

For chapters, I usually just write down the general idea of what each chapter would 'show' to the reader.

Okay, while I'm a planner, I also give 'space' for my story to develop outside from what I planned. I mean, while the general structure of the plot remains the same, I am referring to the story details.

Then, finally, the characters and their traits.

I switched to this style last May 2019, and by June 2023, I have 16 volumes up online, and one in the works.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I am writing a horror/mystery. I wrote a summary of all important plot points before writing a guide on the characters, organizations, and magic system. Then I write a outline for what I want to happen in each scene to make sure everything is consistent and that I don’t waste time. Think of what is written at the beginning of a scene in a play.

Mortrexo

I think the most important thing is having your core characters well-defined. Write down their traits, special qualities, and personalities. Then, write a general outline like: "They arrive at this town," "They encounter something in this town," "They gain a friend and go to another place," "In that place, blah blah blah." Human imagination is quite good, and if you have your characters well written down, they'll probably make the decisions for you because of their personalities.
Also, writing down the tools they gain, details that you must remember, and having a "To-Do" list helps a lot in making you avoid Plot holes and forget essential matters.

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Plan a little, write a lot, run out of ideas, repeat.

Sums up my planning skills...
Mood.

But in all seriousness, I tend to have a rough idea of what I'm aiming for, how it begins, key moments... and then I wing everything else.

Mostly because even if I start with an idea of how things will go, as I develop characters and things I tend to realise 'Hang on, the person I've been writing would do THIS instead!'.