How much money before you turn full-time?

Minx

Procrastinator Mongrel
As someone living in the third world country, 1k is more than enough to live off full time. So yeah, I'd say 1k.

DivineEternal1

I'm a stay home parent, so I couldn't go full time unless I earned more than my SO, so... somewhere around 3.5k a month. No way I'll ever make that much, so I'd probably end up using the money to finally get a cover for my story.

I used to have a Patreon but I only ever got one $1 Patron so just gave up on it. Probably won't try again unless my next story gets popular. Although that probably won't happen since I won't get a cover for that one, either. I'm too cheap :cool:

Kitsura

Depends really

if I made around 2k a month or so with time for a part-time job I might consider it, but that's basically poverty territory.

Ideally, I would only consider it at 3-4k a month. Which is about how much I would make if I was gainfully employed in my major.

cryum

1k/month would have me take the job seriously enough to crunch the numbers and see what it takes to put out something twice a week.

But in terms of making a difference in the world, I'd aim much higher, across more genres or cultural/educational influence. Even then I wouldn't quit my main job entirely.

SakeVision

Sama/kisama
Then you haven't been looking. Harry Potter has permeated society to a level few other things could not to mention making j.k rowling one of the wealthiest people in the world, and wealth does effected political influence.

She got very influentially cancelled on social media, yeah.

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Depends on where one live. 1k a month not gonna even cover in some places; not sustainable depending on location and lifestyle. Need be higher than that. Otherwise sounds like part-time/hobby.
That is why you move. You can write from anywhere.

Jet

I'm not at a level where it's about money tbh. I'd probably write all days long if there were ppl who read and engaged in discussions. I might start considering money if I had dozens of ppl who'd nag me about updates all the time. But I'm nowhere near that, so it's hard to imagine even. 200$ would cover my rent and the most basic nutrition. So should be enough probably.

Dajoe1234

4k a month. Where I live, it's kinda amazing for a small town in North America, it's sexually liberated af. I don't feel like moving out, since I got friends and life is a big party. I don't know how much writing I would need to do. 4k a day for 365 days = 1 460 000 / 50 000 words book = 30 'first drafts ' per year.

The 30 first books will illustrate the first year of Johnny's relationship with the girls. I wonder how much that would earn me with a good marketing strategy on Amazon. Pure Slice of Life Romanerotica. Only takes about 3 hours per day which I could do with a day job.

AliceShiki

Magical Girl of Love and Justice
My currency is 5x weaker than USD, so I wouldn't need that much.

500 USD/month would be tempting, but probably not enough to make me go full-time.

1000 USD/month would totally make me quit my job though.

2000 USD/month would be a dream come true. I'd basically be rich.

That said, just the income wouldn't be enough to make me quit my job tbh. Because like... Yeah, sure, I'd love to make a living from writing and nothing else, but... Novels end, yanno? Just because one novel is giving me 1000 USD/month, it doesn't mean the next one will.

For me to quit my job, I'd need to have been writing for a while and reliably earning 1000 USD/month after finishing a novel and starting the next and then the next and next, like... If I kept a stable income after finishing 3 novels or so, then by the time I started the 4th one, I'd probably feel safe enough to quit my job and dedicate myself full-time to writing.

I dunno how likely that is to happen though... But hey, I like dreaming~

KiraMinoru

Untitled Generic Member
4k a month. Where I live, it's kinda amazing for a small town in North America, it's sexually liberated af. I don't feel like moving out, since I got friends and life is a big party. I don't know how much writing I would need to do. 4k a day for 365 days = 1 460 000 / 50 000 words book = 30 'first drafts ' per year.

The 30 first books will illustrate the first year of Johnny's relationship with the girls. I wonder how much that would earn me with a good marketing strategy on Amazon. Pure Slice of Life Romanerotica. Only takes about 3 hours per day which I could do with a day job.
Yeah, you’ll never hit net 4K a month on Amazon if you go a self publishing route. I can only imagine you’d be talking self publishing here since any traditional publisher would laugh you out of the room if you told them your plan was to publish 30 books a year on your own. To get to 4K a month, you’ll need to invest serious money into marketing(paying large influencers some serious capital, ads typically also don’t work very well to begin with for new authors it’s a waste of money), editors, proofreaders, etc. That’s going to eat up most if not all of your profits. If your goal was 1K a month on Amazon I’d say that’s probably more possible. But it means you need to write to the trends of what you know is popular at a given point in time, not what you want to write.

dudul

$500

If you lived on my country, maybe $500 you can have a good living, the problems is tax cut and patreon costs and all the stuff and biggest problems is about how to disbursed the funds into my wallet, maybe this is the reason many people who don't want to waste their time being nerds prefer being a construction worker.

Lots people here still under age, so they just step in for free reading and out because most of them pretended to be blind when the author begged for donate (including me hhhaahhahahhaa), so stop believe these nerds that whoever said you dont needs money or bla bla blaahh because most of them have never been feel Rich hhhahahaha

I can make a good stories of heroes or even hentai, the problems is how to MAKE THAT MONEY TURN IN MY WALLET BECAUSE ALL I KNOW NOVEL READEST IS FULL OF POOR PEOPLES GATHERING. Its not a sin to become nerds, nerds with money still have respected, but nerds with 0 money is nothing,

Do you think $500 is cheap? Not at all, because those author from novelist on Scribblehub or etc just getting $1-$10 a month, THATS FULLY FACT AND HERE YOU ARE TALKING LIKE ITS SOOOO EASY TO GET IT MUAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAAH
paid me $500 a month, i will give you best hentai stories and yeah go cry about it hahahahahahha
I will figure it out when I get the cash
Go indonesia, because malaysia paid construction worker or palm farmer more than $1k hahhahaha

Probably no amount? I have waking fantasies of living on a beach in Thailand and writing full time. But I probably wouldn't ever do it. I am fine with the consistency of wage slavery and doing this as an enthusiast.

For now... :blob_whistle:

Ai-chan

Queen of Yuri Devourer of Traps
Considering that Ai-chan turned off Patreon, probably never? Would be kind of scummy to collect Patreon when Ai-chan updates very rarely.

D

Deleted member 57675

If was ambitious enough and thoughts don't just end when the tip of the pen has just begun to etch ink onto the paper. Lot less thought about even writing than a year ago.

Scaver

Hypothetically speaking around 10k(for a year)
But then again i would probably never write fulltime. It would be too boring.