How much should one change in a rewrite?

Agentt

Thighs
So, I had an idea, how about rewriting Sherlock Holmes, but Watson/Sholmes is emo/chunni.
Anyone of those combos, I haven't decided which one yet, but its probably gonna be sholmes being chunni.

Anyhow, the question is, how much should I change in rewrite?
I know for those who have read actually series, it would be very boring to re-read the same narrative all over again, yet, I do want the series to contain the writing style of the original author,

It also brings us to how much the other characters should be changed? It would be fun to change the personalities of the characters, but I feel like it would make the whole thing all over the place, too distracting.

Agentt

Thighs
play the great ace attorney
There is a reason I mistyped Holmes as Sholmes there in the question.

While he is the reason I got the idea, it doesn't answer the rest of questions,

SailusGebel

A good way to increase message count
Eh, I don't care about this stuff. I've left a message so that I won't lose this thread. I'm interested in how much of this is a joke. Or how many people would see this question as a serious one, and other stuff like that.

Jemini

A re-write of someone else's work? For copyright purposes, when it applies to literature, you have to change so much you might as well not even copy the work in the first place. It's far better to just write something completely different and unrelated that simply references the original work.

An example of something that is exactly the acceptable degree of difference would be the script for "A Study In Pink," the pilot episode of the BBC's "Sherlock" series, which holds a few parallels to Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study In Scarlet," the 1st book in the original Sherlock Holmes series.

A Study In Pink is very different from A Study In Scarlet. It echoes the original at several points, but those are really just echoes. It sort of has the same skeleton, but there is so much changed in the finer details that it might as well not be the same story.

gogo7966

banishing a light and a dark. she/her
There is a reason I mistyped Holmes as Sholmes there in the question.

While he is the reason I got the idea, it doesn't answer the rest of questions,
i'm so used to sholmes i didn't even notice.

as for the question, go wild. holmes has been reused, redone and reimagiend so many times that what you throw on too the pile dosn't really matter because there is no definetive version of his charcter or stories any more

Agentt

Thighs
i'm so used to sholmes i didn't even notice.

as for the question, go wild. holmes has been reused, redone and reimagiend so many times that what you throw on too the pile dosn't really matter because there is no definetive version of his charcter or stories any more
I mean, yeah, at this point, anyone who can throw wild guesses can play as holmes
A re-write of someone else's work? For copyright purposes, when it applies to literature, you have to change so much you might as well not even copy the work in the first place. It's far better to just write something completely different and unrelated that simply references the original work.

An example of something that is exactly the acceptable degree of difference would be the script for "A Study In Pink," the pilot episode of the BBC's "Sherlock" series, which holds a few parallels to Sir. Arthur Conan Doyle's "A Study In Scarlet," the 1st book in the original Sherlock Holmes series.

A Study In Pink is very different from A Study In Scarlet. It echoes the original at several points, but those are really just echoes. It sort of has the same skeleton, but there is so much changed in the finer details that it might as well not be the same story.
I see, but I do want readers to go "oooh, I remember this bit," and, well, I kinda feel responsible for the high expectations I shall create

If it was up to me just slap a parody tag and you should be fine for the most part but seeing as that is not the case you might want to know that there is still around ten of his stories that are still under copyright in the US.
But most of his stories is under public domain so you can change it however you like, but it would not be considered entirely your work though.
You can find out more here https://www.theguardian.com/books/2...warmer-sherlock-holmes-dismissed-enola-holmes

The key you can take away from this is the character is free of copyright and you can just go ham. Don't forget the parody tag.

SerikoLee

Chaos Realm Creator/ Chaos God
I don't rewrite much cause I normally write creole but right now with my new laptop and it's features.
Corrections I usually make now.

Jemini

I see, but I do want readers to go "oooh, I remember this bit," and, well, I kinda feel responsible for the high expectations I shall create

Well, back on the "A Study in Pink" example, the echoes were strong enough to still get that reaction. The job that the criminal had, the murder weapon, and the manner of location that the most recent victim were found in, as well as the fact that there had been 3 previous victims, were all the same. The changes were the motive and the time period (EDIT: And some alterations to Inspector Lestraud's character in order to make him... well... more of a character.) Even most of the initial meeting between Watson and Sherlock played out pretty similar.

I would strongly suggest going to watch A Study in Pink (since I assume you have already read A Study in Scarlet) for reference. It's only about a 40 minute episode designed to fit into an hour televised time-slot with commercials.

Last edited:

BlackKnightX

So, I had an idea, how about rewriting Sherlock Holmes, but Watson/Sholmes is emo/chunni.
Anyone of those combos, I haven't decided which one yet, but its probably gonna be sholmes being chunni.

Anyhow, the question is, how much should I change in rewrite?
I know for those who have read actually series, it would be very boring to re-read the same narrative all over again, yet, I do want the series to contain the writing style of the original author,

It also brings us to how much the other characters should be changed? It would be fun to change the personalities of the characters, but I feel like it would make the whole thing all over the place, too distracting.
It doesn’t really matter actually. It is your story the moment you write it, no matter where your inspirations are from. You can just do whatever you want with it, like most fanfics do.

Last edited:

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Print out the original story, use a second monitor, or use separate tabs if you don't have access to a printer or second monitor. Type the entire thing from scratch, only glancing at the original story when you need to remember how it generally goes. The final product will be much better.

D

Deleted member 45782

Yes, honey, a fan fiction, but I think while a fan fiction just borrows the world laws of the book.
Thats kinda what you're doing. It won't be considered rewrite if its not by same author or an author that enters agreement/partnership with that original author. Fanfiction does take some characters and uses some bits of another work and then build off on that.

And as for since copyright issues, sounds like some of sherlock holmes is in public domain but then a series got sued for too many sherlock holmes feels. There is still someone owning copyright to some of sherlock holme stories...that was from a quick glance. If one wants to dig, go dig into it more.
Screenshot_20210910-232055_Chrome.jpg