How much symbolism is there in your story?

How much symbolism is there in your story?

• Zero

Votes: 8 16.0%
  • Sometimes I use symbolism

Votes: 21 42.0%
  • Half of what I write is symbolism

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • Everything is symbolism

Votes: 7 14.0%
  • What?

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters

Aiyoki

idk how much exactly but there can tend to be quite a bit of symbolism in what I write. Names of characters can be a pretty easy one to pull off in most cases :s_wink:

john.mainer

The two stories I have up, one mostly finished one at the half way point, both are based in mythology or folklore. It is inevitable that symbolism will play a part in the story telling because as an author you are trying to use the events going on to tell both a simple story, what is happening, and a greater story, what it means. For this to happen, the setting you are using forms a sort of code book, where certain things, certain places, certain objects, carry a lot of symbolic baggage. When you use them, both the common intent and they mythical ones add to the story without having to beat people over the head about it.

Using an object with symbolism attached to it allows all the baggage of its mythology to be woven into the story without effort. Even better, since that mythology will be seen by people in a hundred different ways, often diametrically opposed, it will give your story deeper effect on the readers who have either positive or negative feelings on they symbolism involved.

Iamnotabot

Bot of [PAUL]
I have quite a few symbolisym in my story, prime example is the Latin words i use for certain thing.

Rhaps

Jedi Fae
I have two main symbolism in my story: contradiction and duality.

I wanna show the contradiction of human nature, how we can both be good and bad at the same time. Showing that we are capable of doing as much good as we can do bad things. And the duality of how we balance these two out.

From showing it in my MC's actions, to the fucking sun being both a kind entity and a genocidal maniac.

Akaichi

None at all... Some people might think there is. But there is none...

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
Use references that won't get dated fast. I referenced the original Jurassic Park before, and a few people noticed it. Timeless classics are safe.
speaking of references, I recently referenced Patches from the souls series and someone got it right literally five minutes after release....

S.nuffles

Depends on what I'm writing but I generally tend to not use symbolism unless its a single reoccurring motif or an extended metaphor type deal. If not, my writing becomes less flexible and I run the risk of having a half-assed one which can confuse people.