How stubborn are your reading preferences?

esThr

Well for me if it has a fmc tag then I'll give it a chance so probably not very stubborn

Glitched

Moth Mommy
I occasionally read gb stories, but having gl in a gb MtoF defeats the purpose and makes me put it down if I see it in the tag. I hate harems, immediate drop. I hate wuxia and xiania(cultivation in general), makes me drop as well. On that note stories with chinese names are usually a drop. I can't remember all the Lu Huangs and Chang Wei's. I will put up with poor grammar and sentence structure, but there's a limit to what I can take. I will not even look at fanfiction, and my chances of clicking on something with a title longer than 3 words is very rare. I avoid littpgs like the plague. 99% of the time they add nothing to the story and just take away.

greyliliy

Usually, if a story is good enough to read that I get past chapter 1, then I trust the author enough to lead me all the way through.
This is basically me. I like to read a wide variety of genres and story types, so if I get past the first chapter I'm usually good.

If I drop a story it's usually not for a specific reason outside of "it stopped being interesting to me personally." XD

DaScoot

If a protagonist is going to be a villain, or an anti-hero, or just a plain asshole, they have to at least be a fun one. Ones where the protagonist is just a dick or a sociopath are a quick drop.

I hate school stories. I double hate tournament arcs in school stories. I triple-hate tournament arcs where the tournament happens so early that the characters haven't even been taught anything yet and it's just a way to show off how naturally talented the protagonist is.

Won't read a story with average chapters under 1k words, and 1.5k is pushing it. It's impossible to consistently do meaningful scenes in that little space, you constantly have conversations and actions getting interrupted all the time.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Outside of my need for at least basic grammar, my prefs are relatively flexible. Harems are a big minus, but I've read some before and probably will again, if nothing better is found. Same with Cultivation stuff. They get a minus if there're too many chinglish names, but that's it. Same with MC-centered powertrips.

If a story collects too many minus points it gets either fridged or outright dropped.

Woolen_Bat_Monkey

Adopted son of Envy
I read whatever I can get my hands on as long as it's not brainless harem or has character development that goes full circle over and over.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I am not really that picky. The following list of things I won't read, I will make exceptions for but not often.

Harem (this is the only one I really wont make exceptions), BL, Martial Arts, Sports, Cultivation. Those are the ones I can think of that I usually avoid. Oh, and I don't really read much smut if at all.

ZukoMee

This is my newest pet peeve. I've been reading stories lately where MCs are supposedly hardened killers, but they'll spend lengthy parts of chapters getting sensitive and being afraid to offend someone, asking questions like"is it okay if I say this?" Just as bad, they go on lengthy tangents about morals, justifying why they fought and killed whatever they killed, or why they didn't. Hardened killers don't have these moral dilemmas people. Once they've made the decision to end something, they think nothing else about it once the deed is done. This is a annoyingly nonsensical thing that aggravates me when I read it. I can just tell what kind of people those who write like this are.

It's like listening to little kids feel guilty but still come to terms with the fact that they stole that last cookie and didn't tell anyone.

Won't read GL, BL, Gender Bender etc.
Won't read Netorare.

Won't read Female MC's because 75% of the time, it's just an excuse for male authors to insert Lesbian scenes. The other 25%, is female authors inserting "mUh FeMiNiSm" nonsense.

The moment a story has a character saying, "You should never kill", even if its a side character, I'm so immediately repulsed that I quit.

Any time a modern-world MC appears in a medieval-esque world, and then at some point starts trying to change it's culture to a modern one, I drop. Realistically, it isn't possible, and I'm not interested in reading the latest college-kid protagonist screeching about ideals he barely knows anything about beyond what his equally foolish friends incorrectly said, or whatever he read from some very awful and misleading CNN/MSN articles. So yes, if MC goes to a world with slavery, and then immediately begins searching for a soap box to stand and preach on, I'm out. It's tiresome, it's imbecilic, and it's not realistic. In reality, he'd be killed or enslaved himself.

Won't read anything with characters where having this made-up "what's your pronoun?" nonsense is a thing.

ACertainPassingUser

For unpopular/non top 1000 modern 2000-2020+ manga/anime/manhwa/manhua, I always read Isekai or current world setting.

I don't realy like non-modern MC. They live in culture and era so different from us, with living standard so different, and different common sense. Yet most of the average author still tries to forcefully make them relatable with audience's culture and standards.

If the MC is isekaied people i could understand why he did so. The contrast of MC thought process and the people around him feels more natural.

beast_regards

It depends how much story manages to piss me off ...

It's really case by case.

Bad voice actors are often the turnoff in the audiobook, but that is hardly a factor here.

laccoff_mawning

I hate school stories. I double hate tournament arcs in school stories. I triple-hate tournament arcs where the tournament happens so early that the characters haven't even been taught anything yet and it's just a way to show off how naturally talented the protagonist is.
This is genius. I gotta jot this idea down somewhere.