How to create a perfect (or better) yandere?

D

Deleted member 29081

I feel that "yandere" has become this catch-all term for any girl or woman who is violent and/or mentally ill. Say you have a girl who's infatuated with a boy to the point of being willing to use questionable means to obtain him. That's your standard "yandere" archetype. At the end of the day, that will be all she is if you're just looking to write that kind of story.

But you can make this story take an unusual turn. Say she one day wakes up and finds herself in the body of the man she loves. Now that's unfamiliar territory that our oh-so-familiar character has to traverse. How would she react to literally obtaining the person she was obsessed with in a way that's comically ironic? How would she try to live his life? Would she become lascivious and enjoy his body to her heart's content or would she be more concerned about his soul and its whereabouts? What happens if someone confesses to her loved one while she's in control of his body?

Really, you don't have to worry about creating a good character. The character doesn't matter. It's the story they're in, and the conflicts they have to face, that truly build them up.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Obsession is a start. Give the Main character a unique trait that heavily stands out and works in favour for the Yandere's character. Don't just throw em it and give them an arbitrary reason to stalk the MC (HE ACCIDENTALLY NUDGED HIS HANDS ON ME TIDDIES), stalkers don't simply stalk out of nowhere.

And, if possible, I wanna see you try to do a non-creepy Yandere. I know it sounds redundant and counterintuitive but I meant it more in a practical sense. As in, instead of physically following him, the Yandere can utilize connections and trace his every step. CCTVs, friends, associates, mechanical cats with built in cameras for eyes, all that gizmo. C'mon, it's the 21st century, learn how to stalk like a pro.

MarkofWisdom

My honest reaction is "Don't." I have a strong dislike of the whole yandere archetype since it's usually presented in a way where we're supposed to root for the violently unhinged character to get the target of their obsession. I have a similar, if less vehement, dislike of the tsundere archetype since it's usually exaggerated until the character is just toxic and abusive, and even any "dere" moments they have just add to the abuse by making their victim think maybe things can get better.

My "if you absolutely must" suggestion is similar to what some others have said-make it so their obsession actually has a reasonable cause-maybe their stalkee saved their life, whether by actually rescuing them or by being kind to them when they were contemplating suicide. Have them not go overboard with their obsessive behavior-if their actions would make their obsession hate them or want to avoid them like they're diseased, they're probably going too far

Silv

First person yandere and the mentality would be an interesting read. Since to them mentally it is normal. Rather than a 3rd person. Especially the less murderous type.

Vaxel00

First, you have to make her insecure, so insecure that any interaction with other women is viewed as a threat. Of course she MUST have low self esteem.

She has to see the love interest as a target of obsession, whether she's "in love" with him or not is up for debate.

Her fear of losing her love interest supersedes her own self preservation and she's sociopathic. She's a narcissist with borderline personality disorder that can't really empathize with other people including her love interest.

She'll use any means to get what she wants, from blackmail to sex. She'll tell you she'll kill herself if you abandon her, she'll tell you that she'll ruin your life through social media accusing of something (Domestic violence, rape, neglect) if you dare to leave, she'll love bomb you at every second, she'll be controlling, location, passwords, messages, you won't have any privacy.

She'll alienate you from friends and family, will become extremely jealous whenever you interact with them and be borderline hysterical if you make plans that don't include her.

Don't ask how I know.

Last edited:

Liola

My condolences.
Back to topic. I think its fine to write whatever you want. If your going for profesionally, i say build your setting first and conflict with the characters to make it interesting. i don't write stories so take my words with a grain of salt.

ArcadiaBlade

I'm a Lazy Writer, So What?
To make a yandere, yuou need to have the three things to make one.

First is obssession. Second would be mentality. And finally the Danger.

The first one is always a requirement to make a yandere as it is the main reason why yandere's exist. You either be obsessed on obtaining the person either alive or dead.

The second one would be the mentality. The psychological process of the yandere depends on how you plan on writing her/him. Would she be stupid to only see one objective and eliminate every obstacles or be smart enough to easily take a person's heart away.

The final one would be the danger. Would she be killer, a sadistic manipulator or a pacifist who even wants to murder her enemies, she will play the moral book and get her senpai in a pacifistic way.

MasterHiatus

I am back
And how can I create the perfect or better backstory to make her yandere attitude plausible?

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
To make a yandere, yuou need to have the three things to make one.

First is obssession. Second would be mentality. And finally the Danger.

The first one is always a requirement to make a yandere as it is the main reason why yandere's exist. You either be obsessed on obtaining the person either alive or dead.

The second one would be the mentality. The psychological process of the yandere depends on how you plan on writing her/him. Would she be stupid to only see one objective and eliminate every obstacles or be smart enough to easily take a person's heart away.

The final one would be the danger. Would she be killer, a sadistic manipulator or a pacifist who even wants to murder her enemies, she will play the moral book and get her senpai in a pacifistic way.
Wow I like this answer. Stealing some of it for something completely unrelated to yandere's

Discount_Blade

Sent Here To Piss You All Off
And how can I create the perfect or better backstory to make her yandere attitude plausible?
I would just say check out Yuno Gasai's character from the Future Diary manga/anime since as far as I know, she's the most famous one.

bigbear51

Well, just to use a story I publish on a different site as an example. Which I should note, the girl isn't that huge of a traditional yandere.

Anyway, her mother cheated and left her father, which left the man depressed. As a result, she harbored a hatred towards that infidelity because of the pain it brought her and her dad. Things happened, but she moved to go to the MC's school. There she fell in love with his friend, then blackmailed the mc to help her out. Most of what makes her a yandere is mainly just the blackmail and stalking, so it isn't extreme like most yandere-type characters.

D

Deleted member 29316

Yanderes often don't go 'yandere' in one go. They slowly get attached to the person they like, and this is where we separate the normal 'attracted' to 'yandere'. Yanderes do all sorts of ways (including illegal ways to get you), while normies have certain boundaries.

Like in my example (just for your reference), I got a student whom I treated kindly (listened to her problems, talked and gave her advices...basically what a 'trying to be good' teacher would do). Plus, I'm the sort of teacher that their entire class liked, so she really slowly got attracted to me. In my experience, most normal girls stop here. I'm their teacher, so it's impossible for us to have a relationship.

However, for her, that isn't the end. She began to give me gifts, and would get unreasonably jealous whenever I received gifts from other girls (classmates, fellow students or my co-workers), suspicious to the gifts of the boys, jealous whenever I talk to other girls (even if its about subjects). My mistake is that I ignored the warning signs. I shouldn't have accepted her gifts...didn't know there's something attached to it.

Then it came to the point that she knew my address (even though I keep it from my students; she just couldn't come to my house because I live in another city 20 km away from her). She's stalking my FB account, and keeping me off from other female students, and the most creepiest shit I've ever experienced was, she sent me her nude pictures...those that would get me arrested for CP if someone manages to see it.

I immediately notified my superiors about it. Also, securely deleted the photos. Man, that's pretty fucked up whenever I remember it.

Hope this experience of mine helps for your reference.

Edit: At first, you won't believe that someone's a yandere, 'till the whole affair blows into your face, and you have to quickly do some amends to stop it.

Bloodysin28

You could try the void wolf approach,where the mc and FL are both yandere for each other it a brutal and dark world,They literally didn't beat around the bush,got married like 2 months after they met,both are not human, and their race a more ruthless and brutal,

Vaxel00

One example. Girl is lower in the hierarchy, falls for popular guy and the guy is not an asshole so he treats her normally, she decides she wants him for herself seeing he's kind to everyone and not just her.

Another example, the girl cheats on her partner and the partner moves on pretty quickly, goes on dating other girls, some are more beautiful than her. Because of her actions she ends up isolated, shamed. Regret and shame bring her ego down to the bottom, she tries to talk to her now ex, but he's adamant on not contacting her and she cannot bring herself to accept what she has lost. So she goes the extra mile, starts stalking him, sending him gifts, nudes. When it doesn't work she tries to destroy his relationship with his new girlfriend, slanders him on social media.

"I can't live without you" she says, "I'll do anything". So the guy ends up giving her a restraining order, changing phone numbers, deleting social media and never sees her again. Happy ending.

Shadow_Tempest

One example. Girl is lower in the hierarchy, falls for popular guy and the guy is not an asshole so he treats her normally, she decides she wants him for herself seeing he's kind to everyone and not just her.

Another example, the girl cheats on her partner and the partner moves on pretty quickly, goes on dating other girls, some are more beautiful than her. Because of her actions she ends up isolated, shamed. Regret and shame bring her ego down to the bottom, she tries to talk to her now ex, but he's adamant on not contacting her and she cannot bring herself to accept what she has lost. So she goes the extra mile, starts stalking him, sending him gifts, nudes. When it doesn't work she tries to destroy his relationship with his new girlfriend, slanders him on social media.

"I can't live without you" she says, "I'll do anything". So the guy ends up giving her a restraining order, changing phone numbers, deleting social media and never sees her again. Happy ending.
She wears glasses and wigs and goes to his home and kidnaps him. He will start to run away but she will lock all the doors and windows.

"I wish I had never met you!!" he screams.
her brain snaps. She grabs the nearest vase and throws it on his head. He dies.

She starts crying and hangs herself. Happy ending.

for the devil I guess