-Massacre people for power
-Have no qualms for torture
-Cause much misery
-Cause war, sells weapon to both sides
-Kill people because they feel like it
-Curse people because they feel like it

That's all i can think of

ldoronoco

Traditionally the evil character is the opposite of the MC or a MC gone wrong.

Make a main character as normal but have something that shift his views different from the hero.

Example

Hero likes mayanoise become his parents made it from scratch when he was younger.

Evil hates parents and wants all of them.to be removed from the earth cos he was always let down by them.

Rough example but I hope it helps

yunano34a1

Twisted sense of humor

Crazy Person: You thought I’d crack a joke?
Evil MC: Bashes head* Now thats what you called a Crack head

Joyeuse

My first thought is Kefka

Participates in human experimentation, clearly insane, is not above using mind control on a kid whose parents he killed, poison the entire water supply of a kingdom that was on the way to his goals, betrays the one he had been working with for a long time as soon as the situation seems opportune...

Kilolo

I'm so kewl
everyone is a villain in someone else story.

rather than trying to make a bad character, it's more fun for me to create an ambitious character that has a different sense of value with people around him.

for example: someone who tried to make elixir of immortality using someone else expenditures, while cheating death is considered a greatest taboo by the local religion.

SaddyStorm

Ever heard of the phrase (the following is a light approximation):

"There's no such thing as good or evil. Society is just trying to restrict us."

Firstly, I'm convinced that this phrase started as a way to morally justify that an action that is very likely to be considered morally reprehensible is ok to do or that one had no choice on acting out said reprehensible activity—besides it's society's fault for restricting me.

Secondly, it escalated from there, to saying that there's nothing called good and evil; yes society places certain actions to be good and others bad at random—if you ignore that certain actions like being selfless or being nice is required to function in the society that's providing security and resources to thrive as a modern human; honestly I think people who don't have these qualities and feel endangered instinctively towards the power of a group that chooses to work together—like since they can't join it, destroying it to get the larger scraps would be a more acceptable choice.

Finally, the third point is the most relevant to question asked, assuming the majority of these abnormally selfish sociopaths are just acting out on instinct and cohabitation is very likely, the 1% who can't be turned, who have the drive, the resources and intention to not be constricted by the shackles of society—again, meant to protect the group (I'm referring to most democracies/maybe even for most base human relations)—they actively, intentionally try their best to destroy it, almost always for their own self-interest. They use whatever available tool to do so:

1. Turning the meaning of good and evil upside and amplifying issues way out of proportion to basically seed doubt about the system that could oppose it, is just two of them.

2. Removing restraints and/or avoiding getting caught, either by removing the laws set by society preferably or dodging it.

Etc. Etc. There's probably a book out there, on how to be a villain, a top rated fiction in a online poll based website for writers.

DubstheDuke

I've created a lot of evil characters, so I'll just give you my own experience.

1. When creating an evil character, there always should be a reason for them to be as demented as they are. Don't ever make them "Evil to be evil." Even if their motivations are selfish or purely sadistic, give them a reason for being that way. What drove this person to their selfishness, to the point where they're willing to throw others aside, prioritizing themselves? For what reason could this person possibly take pleasure in seeing others suffer? Don't just make it something beyond understanding. Make them demented, but make your readers understand exactly why they are so demented.

2. There is a big choice between making your villain likable and unlikable. And both have pros and cons. I personally really enjoy the likable villain trope. How do you make a villain likable? Simple. They do evil things (Like killing or whatever else you consider to be evil), however they do it in a way that doesn't make people hate them, but only love them all the more. If they're a fun character with an interesting personality then this is an option. Another is to give them a certain set of morals or principals which they adhere to. What about unlikable villains? Well these villains, the type of villains that people love to hate, are the ones that you honestly just want to make as despicable as possible. Now, they should still have a reason for being despicable, but when you make this type of villain, my suggestion is to make them so damn despicable that literally everyone hates them with a burning passion, so that it's all the more satisfying when they are finally defeated.

3. Make your villains intelligent and powerful, or make them grow to become so. No dumb weak villain ever ends up making it to the spot of final villain. No thug on the street is ever worth anything more than a quick fight to show off the power of the mc. Therefore, when you write your villain, always make them smart enough that the main character has difficulty facing them, and powerful enough that they present a large challenge. For my main villain, I gave him an insane amount of power right off the bat, labeling him as this untouchable figure who could do anything he wanted, and yet he still plotted and planned to make everything go his way. This way, the main characters had to work extremely hard, and plot just as much if not more to outsmart and overpower him. Some villains however, are better if they start off as weak, and are built up alongside the main character. I think this would be an interesting concept, and not something I've ever done before, but allowing your villain to grow from zero could also be extremely interesting. You could write an entire story on the villain, building them up to face the main character.

PhillisCreziles

﹤Once a Potato﹥
everyone is a villain in someone else story.

rather than trying to make a bad character, it's more fun for me to create an ambitious character that has a different sense of value with people around him.

for example: someone who tried to make elixir of immortality using someone else expenditures, while cheating death is considered a greatest taboo by the local religion.
Agreed!

Essentially, if you want to make a great evil character you cannot make a evil character for the sake of evil. That may sound illogical but it does work out on paper.

hauntedwritings

There's a few short things to remember when creating an evil character. Firstly, I tend to differentiate between an evil character and a villain. (Someone who's simply evil, and the big bad end boss.)

1. Nobody sees themself as evil. If you want a 'real' evil character, it needs to have motivations that results in the character's actions making sense to him/her. Example: The ends justify any means.
2. Evil is a point of view. This character's actions and motivations are considered such because they are constrasted to someone else.

Now that is only to make a character evil. If you want to make them a villain, then you are going to need more. Namely, as was stated earlier:

3. Make your villains intelligent and powerful, or make them grow to become so. No dumb weak villain ever ends up making it to the spot of final villain. No thug on the street is ever worth anything more than a quick fight to show off the power of the mc. Therefore, when you write your villain, always make them smart enough that the main character has difficulty facing them, and powerful enough that they present a large challenge. For my main villain, I gave him an insane amount of power right off the bat, labeling him as this untouchable figure who could do anything he wanted, and yet he still plotted and planned to make everything go his way. This way, the main characters had to work extremely hard, and plot just as much if not more to outsmart and overpower him. Some villains however, are better if they start off as weak, and are built up alongside the main character. I think this would be an interesting concept, and not something I've ever done before, but allowing your villain to grow from zero could also be extremely interesting. You could write an entire story on the villain, building them up to face the main character.
The key to make your villain seem more threatening, is to make sure that the subordinates your MC encounter on the way are evil. This way there is a contrast, not only between the MC and the villain, but within the villain's faction as well.

K5Rakitan

Level 34 👪 💍 Pronouns: she/whore ♀
Fall in love. Break up. NOW write from the heart.

D

Deleted member 45782

How is that evil?
Fall in love and break someone's heart.

@DubstheDuke had some good advice.

Here's my take on it.

How to Well-Developed Evil Characters:
  1. Their evil actions/goals they try to do or have done.
  2. A backstory to develop their character to see what eventually led them to commit the evil deeds.
  3. Develop your characters. Give personality, conflicts, details, etc.

Evil actions/deeds/goals + Reasons why = evil character.

Evil characters don't always tell you what their plan is. Its through phrases, dialogues, actions, other characters finding out what their intentions are. If they tell you everything, than what's the point of tiptoeing all around instead of just go straight to bashing the villain? The more readers have to slowly piece things together, the more fun it is! The more they know right away, the less they may be interested cause they know all that is need to know already.

Evil characters don't always fail at the things they do either. And that is part of what makes them appalling, rather then just some crazy person saying they bunch of horrific stuff. Its because they succeeded partly in the things they did, and some of those deeds are irreversible and permanently leaves a stain. The fear of what they may truly become if they completely succeeded. Heroes don't always save the day.

How to Write a 2D villain:
  • that tells you all their evil plans
  • their goal is to just destroy the world and everything without thinking where they are gonna live next then
  • they always fail at the end of the day.

Last edited by a moderator: