How to develop romance without forcing it?

ScarletWeeb

My characters are married (Arranged (kinda)) and I want to smoothly, step by step develop romance, but I lack the knowledge to do so, so how exactly can I learn to develop romance?

Wittywite

My characters are married (Arranged (kinda)) and I want to smoothly, step by step develop romance, but I lack the knowledge to do so, so how exactly can I learn to develop romance?
First of all, you gotta read something related to your writings.

Don't exactly start off with romance. You ought to start with understanding between the couple. Create sweet scenarios. You can involve gestures you personally like.

Then include skinship and develop tension(sexual) between the couple. Intimacy and smooth romance.

BlackKnightX

The traditional way seems to be having the two leads start off at the wrong start—maybe even hate each other—then get them into some kind of event that forces them to cooperate. Then over time they’ll learn more about each other, see each other’s vulnerable side, and gradually warm up to one another.

After that they’ll fall in love and have a happy moment for a while until something bad happens that forces them to drift apart. The two will fight and struggle for it (like facing the final boss) and then get together again, thus happily ever after.

This pattern is very common in romance dramas I’ve watched (Dunno about novels, though).

But honestly, I don’t really like this pattern in books. In movies and shows, yes, I can watch anything very intense because movies and shows move fast and don’t dwell on the angst or drama as long as in novels. But in books or novels, I expect something light and fluffy and fun. I prefer it more when the two leads get together at the very beginning or as early as possible, and then struggle together through whatever comes their way.

This is just my personal taste, though. You don’t have to follow it.

ElliePorter

Crimson Queen Of The Night
Since they are married in a sense, you can start by slowly introducing them with each other (i assume their parents just said that youre going to marry X). Create a tension like is the guy likeable at the start? Or can the girl learn to like him even tho he is a jerk etc.

Write it down as if you are the one who's being married with a stranger. You wouldn't like that idea right? If you got their personalities set. Build up conversations, events or even slice of life moments that will make them know each other more.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Well, having it as an arranged marriage already cuts of a good part of the development.

Firstly, you could have the two of them have disagreeable stances towards each other.

Then, slowly have them learn to look past each other's flaws.

Or just for fun, have one of them cheat on the other, then have them make up. But idk, I'm a virgin warrior.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
If it is an arranged marriage, then there are two directions you could go. One of them is a conflictual relationship, with for example one of them hating this marriage because they love someone else. The marriage starts as a facade, but as they grow and experience hardship together, they grow to appreciate each other.

Another option (more historically common), is to have them both work together to make this marriage work. Love is not something you can force, but that does not mean that it cannot be cultivated. They don't love each other, but they will be spending their lives together, so they must each do their best to act as the best husband/wife they can. Even if at first they do it to have a peaceful life, instead of exhaustion themselves fighting each other, over time their relationship will deepen, and they might truly fall in love.

The last option is to have them simply never truly fall in love. They keep outwards appearances of a married couple, but in truth they barely interact, content to let the other have his own private life on the side, with for example a mistress. This can be non confrontational, and they can even appreciate each other as friends, but they have decided this marriage is only a facade.

IdleYoungMaster

Do make sweet scenes. Romance shouldn't also be developed in a rushed way if you're aiming for 'realness'. Still, there are some cases, in which rushed romance is still that good. I recommend reading Ending Maker and SSS-Class Suicide Hunter for that. In the former, it took them 200+ chapters just to become a real couple, while the latter took around 20 chapters with 6k-8k words when they became a couple. Once you know of the vibes in Ending Maker (Diabetes), you'll gain more understanding in regards to this case.
PS: I'm similar to you too, having no clue on how to start off with romance. Though I finally had a clue after I've read these 2 novels.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
Ease into it. Either make them start as friends or make them antagonistic and slowly turn that into care and concern mixed with grudging attraction.

You really just need to include some "moments" between them. You must have seen some romance or AT LEAST harem rom com anime. Use those as reference.

TotallyHuman

I don't write romance unironically (that being, without creepy or dark undertones), so my advice may not be solid, but take your time to flesh out your characters first. If you write them with the intent of them being romantically involved first, and only then as characters of their own - then you already forcing them.
So build your characters up first, have them have their own values, aspirations and thoughts and feelings, put romance aside for the first while. When your characters are facing troubles and difficulties, and are in a hard place emotionally (and that will happen after a while lest you pander to your audience), then have them support each other. Slowly make them involved with each other's shit.
But don't make it feel like they owe each other for helping - more so owing feelings or sex, that is gross and creepy and something I'd write.

Though do note that forcing them together is totes fine if you're writing a romance-genre story. It's kind of expected and nobody will give a shit if you do.