How to divert idea that didn't match with the story?

Nakakure

So i am the writer in training curently facing writer block and try different thing to break it, one of them is brainstroming,yet the one that appear are bunch of new character, ideas, and different storyline that didn't match well with my curent story i try to write.
As the title said i want to ask how to divert the ideas since they always appear in my head now.
Edit1 btw i also want to ask site to fix my broken grammar.

Mihou

Firefly—
My way of diverting the idea to for the story is by forcing it to go that way, I mean this is pretty normal, you could try brainstorming a few more times and see if you can make up a new idea that would fit your story more than your current, there has to be an idea that would fit or just actually write all your ideas in a piece of paper and try changing up some things to make it fit.

For grammar, it's best you use Grammarly, Google Docs, or other stuff for now while learning by reading a lot of PUBLISHED books and the likes. Grammar cannot be fixed instantly, it is a slow process. :blob_melt:

Nakakure

My way of diverting the idea to for the story is by forcing it to go that way, I mean this is pretty normal, you could try brainstorming a few more times and see if you can make up a new idea that would fit your story more than your current, there has to be an idea that would fit or just actually write all your ideas in a piece of paper and try changing up some things to make it fit.

For grammar, it's best you use Grammarly, Google Docs, or other stuff for now while learning by reading a lot of PUBLISHED books and the likes. Grammar cannot be fixed instantly, it is a slow process. :blob_melt:NJ
Thanks about advice, the scary part about brainstorming after it, the storyline for new character keep getting strong. :sweating_profusely: .

Leti

Instead of thinking how to divert the ideas, perhaps you should consider thinking how to integrate them as part of the story. Find the connection and work backwards. If it didn't work, there is no harm in keeping those ideas for future reference.

LostLibrarian

One thing you can do is look at works you like or that are highly regarded in your genre and see what general concept they offered. That doesn't mean to copy what they did, but looking at what types of scenes or arcs were used might help you find a new outlook. It can be easier to work towards a really specific idea ("I want a 3 chapter sequence that does X") because there are a lot less options to choose from... and those rather strict outlines might also help you discard or change your current ideas...
Otherwise you could also go back to square one, thinking about your story's themes and ending and what the next logical step would be. And play with that idea in mind...

To me, writer's block often is more a thing of having too much weird ideas instead of having no ideas at all. So as long as you filter enough and pick the ideas that might fit, one should hopefully make for a good continuation...

Tejoka

I often have lots of ideas that don't fit the story I'm currently working on. I remember or even write down the good ones. Most of the time, those develop into the outline of another story in my head.
What you can try to get your imagination focused on your story is to re-read it or otherwise engage with what you already have. There are also specific things that have more to do with some aspects. For example, you could pretend to do an interview with your main character and try to answer questions for them in their voice. Maybe that can help frame one of the ideas you want to divert into their perspective. Otherwise, just try to ignore the unfitting ideas by replacing them with new ones pertinent to your story. Again, that works best by just putting yourself into the right frame of mind, focusing on your story and exploring the possibilities it offers. At least, that's the approach I try.

lnv

✪ Well-Known Hypocrite
So i am the writer in training curently facing writer block and try different thing to break it, one of them is brainstroming,yet the one that appear are bunch of new character, ideas, and different storyline that didn't match well with my curent story i try to write.
As the title said i want to ask how to divert the ideas since they always appear in my head now.
Edit1 btw i also want to ask site to fix my broken grammar.

The fact that you are diverting ideas is a good sign. One of the biggest faults of writing is when an author tries to stick an idea into a story that doesn't match simply because they think it is cool or what not. Sometimes its best to cut your losses.

As for how to get around it, how about just putting those ideas into short stories? This way it doesn't derail your writing but you can finally get them out of your head while at same time create a habit of writing even if you have a writer's block.

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts
Just try the magical power of retcon. :blob_evil_two: Works most of the times.
you forgot to mention the skill check needed to successfully use Retcon. you need the Reader's Memory or/and Reader's Archive to be below 20 or have your Story Quality above 60, to be safe. but if you don't care for consequences yeah sure go ahead why not

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
you forgot to mention the skill check needed to successfully use Retcon. you need the Reader's Memory or/and Reader's Archive to be below 20 or have your Story Quality above 60, to be safe. but if you don't care for consequences yeah sure go ahead why not

:blob_evil_two: I used the skill a few times already. The results are positive, but to be fair, I didn't change much.