How To Fight Inactivity Block

bulmabriefs144

I don't tend to get blocked about choosing perfect words or anything like that. I only get blocked when between novels and after not writing for awhile. How do you get back into the rhythm after some time passes? I've been inactive in terms of writing from Christmas (I got some new games and was playing hardcore on them) to Easter.

To make matters worse, my home PC seems to be jamming and multi-typing (it's software not hardware, I know because the Linux mode works fine, only the Windows doesn't work).

FebyA

For me, I scribble 1-3 chapters from several new novel ideas that comes to mind.

Then, after I wrote around 3-10 of them, I found 1 novel that I really, really like.

So I go all in on that novel and managed to write while having a lot of fun the entire time.

At this point, not continuing the novel is more painful. Because while I am the writer, I am also the main reader for this novel. So I continue even if it's just to write 1k words a day to see what happens next.

GabrielTenma

It feels annoying at first but when I'm doing something that doesn't require much thinking, I just brainstorm until I get something that makes me really want to continue writing!

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
It's kind of like starting over from scratch. Just remember how you got into it to begin with and repeat that.

RecursiveDescent

If I had to answer what works for me, it would be to come up with a story goal even if you don't know how to get there.
If you're really desperate you can try not to think too hard and simply let the story flow in any way you can keep it going.

But it's not good to make too many chapters going with the flow with no direction.
That's what I did in my first story, which definitely hurt my reader retention because the first 22 chapters are basically trash and then it starts picking up pace and actually becoming kinda good after that since that's when I finally got to a point where I grabbed onto a thread of inspiration I could use to move plot towards my destination.
By that point most of my story was filler that was there to wait for the plot to begin. I did lots of redundant scenes and developed a bunch of characters I had no idea what to do with, and no longer have any time left in the plot to use any of them.

Premier

Deadlines help for me. I gotta get out chapters for patreon so the writing has gotta be done.

greyliliy

Get a notebook and write by hand. It's so much slower than typing, but it does really help the creativity and making you slow down to think about what you're writing. Often it can help get words moving when they wouldn't before and you're staring at a blinking curser.

ElijahRyne

A Hermit that is NOT that Lazy…
I don't tend to get blocked about choosing perfect words or anything like that. I only get blocked when between novels and after not writing for awhile. How do you get back into the rhythm after some time passes? I've been inactive in terms of writing from Christmas (I got some new games and was playing hardcore on them) to Easter.

To make matters worse, my home PC seems to be jamming and multi-typing (it's software not hardware, I know because the Linux mode works fine, only the Windows doesn't work).
Either you write regularly until it becomes a habit, or you fight yourself for a week to write 400 or so words before you have bare minimum words for a chapter.

Indicterra

Five little monkeys jumping on the bed 🎶
Re-read your story, from the beginning.

Its somewhat help me

IanWhite2105

That has got to be the most pathetic workaround way of saying writers block.

if you don’t know what to write then make parodies of existing stuff and just make enough changes so that it is distinct. Half of the popular anime, manga, manhwa, etc… are literally as simple as that.

If it isn’t a problem with ideas but instead a problem with just sitting down to write then just write anything and everything that comes to mind. Be it personal thoughts, jokes, comments/reviews on movies or shows, shopping lists, house chores, etc… If you thought it, then write it. Doing this will get you into the mindset that writing is something simple and easy. If you have a cellphone then write on a Google document or notes app. If you want a more tangible thing then pocket-sized note pads are very cheap and readily available in all but the poorest of countries.

Last edited:

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.

Here's a motivational word for you:

Coward. Go cry on your bed and forget everything.

If you want to write, then write.

If you run out of ideas, go look for it somewhere. You have the internet. So why couldn't you?

If you can't find a single idea, then take some rest. You may need some break while searching for inspiration.

If you come back to finish your novel, re-read your work, dumbass.

People tend to forget to look at themself in the mirror, or re-tracing their journey in Life. So, re-trace the storyline by re-reading your novel.

Remember, while re-reading, you're a reader, not a writer. Be harsh to your work, so when you find one or more problems, you'll know how to take them down with your reader's intuitional critics.

Now go, there's people wanting to read your novel.

wresch

I am uncomfortable with breaks, but I find they have value. I walk, I imagine new scenes, I do additional research. I do sometimes just plow ahead, but I have ended up with real garbage. Reading. There are really impressive authors out there. There is so much to learn - and so much talent to appreciate.

GoodPerson

The only active fanfictioners in the forum.
I am uncomfortable with breaks, but I find they have value. I walk, I imagine new scenes, I do additional research. I do sometimes just plow ahead, but I have ended up with real garbage. Reading. There are really impressive authors out there. There is so much to learn - and so much talent to appreciate.
Hence why we shouldn't write more stuff to add in literacy, we still have lots of books the old people left for us.

crbrearley

Word quota is best. Second would be time quota. Stare at the blank page for an hour or write for an hour, whichever.

If you get stuck, go on to a part of the story you think will happen latter and work backwards when you're done.

God, this is all very easy to say but not so easy to do.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
Cut out all distractions. Only leave the blank page open until you get bored of doing nothing, but the only thing you can do is write.

bulmabriefs144

Okay, right now I'm at the brainstorming and cover design phase.

Unfortunately, as I am thinking of expanding a novel into a trilogy, the problem is that I don't know which is the middle book.
This is the sequel to A Hero Unmasked. So it's based on the superhero concept, but I kinda finished off the main character in the first one.

Now, I could edit the ending of the first, but I think it's okay. Instead, my idea is to have each work be self-contained, but a trilogy by setting.

The Fisher Queen is a concept bouncing about with a superhero that has mood-based weather powers. I haven't worked out the antagonists yet or the support characters. She's the kid of Unmasked and the other one (no spoilers).

And God Immanent (the titles are supposed to be read out like a list as A Hero Unmasked, The Fisher King, And God Immanent, though I can definitely shift the order) is based loosely off binge watching "Joan of Arcadia".

I think first I need to focus on the order of these books before I start writing seriously.