How to have a character know things without making it seem exposition-y

MintiLime

Unofficial Class President, Author
So, in my most recent chapter, Silnarion (MC) basically explains what the world’s issue is.

They are aware of these issues for Reasons Unexplained, but I’m worried that I will lose readers’ interest having my MC actually pretty much know what’s going on from the get go.

I’m actually struggling a little in general, because I don’t want the struggle to seem super simple, but at it’s core it’s this:

People need to die.

My MC is meant to be a good but also morally grey, sanity gone from the start type. Basically raised by a Deity in a world where what we would consider Cults have a lot of power, so they are really out of touch in significantly important ways but really knowledgeable in others, because, duh, the Deity is going to know what’s going on.

Is it a problem if Silnarion explains a bit of the core issue? I basically established my MC’s plan for the future in the last chapter, but I’m hoping the journey will be worth it for readers.

anyway, advice? Reassurance? Commiseration? Tips for a re-write?

APieceOfRock

Yuri Lover, endeed!
Write it in a way that fits the MC's personality. If he's desperate, make it sound like he's desperate while considering the situation. If he has anger issues, make him sound like an asshole.

Or you can just spread the information through multiple chapters idk.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I always did it in conversation type. I raised the issue, using one character questioning the MC, who then explained. Then, if I needed to, other characters raised counter-arguments or questions until the issue was explained and cleared up. It was a debate between my characters, but in reality, I was simply explaining the reasons behind XYZ.

CupcakeNinja

Pervert Supreme
So, in my most recent chapter, Silnarion (MC) basically explains what the world’s issue is.

They are aware of these issues for Reasons Unexplained, but I’m worried that I will lose readers’ interest having my MC actually pretty much know what’s going on from the get go.

I’m actually struggling a little in general, because I don’t want the struggle to seem super simple, but at it’s core it’s this:

People need to die.

My MC is meant to be a good but also morally grey, sanity gone from the start type. Basically raised by a Deity in a world where what we would consider Cults have a lot of power, so they are really out of touch in significantly important ways but really knowledgeable in others, because, duh, the Deity is going to know what’s going on.

Is it a problem if Silnarion explains a bit of the core issue? I basically established my MC’s plan for the future in the last chapter, but I’m hoping the journey will be worth it for readers.

We need the text in question, otherwise we wont really know what may be a better way of writing it would be. Me, i try not to do info dumps. A sentence here, a sentence there, thats enough. I can explain it bit by bit as i go, but i've learned too much text makes readers eyes gloss over--mine do when faces with too much exposition

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World

People need to die.

Do an excurse. You can easily explain from the POV of a narrator, but it depends on you structure.

Succubiome

If it's first person POV, it's easy to have them remind themselves of why they need to do things-- they don't need to go into great detail, but hey, maybe they need to remind themselves why they need to do some murders in this scenario?

if it's not first person POV -- and even if it is -- you could also have them explain a little to an NPC, either because they feel the NPC is owed an explanation, or they like hearing themselves talk, or they want someone to understand them, or they hope to get the NPC on their side, or whatever?

I think the main thing to avoid feeling overly exposition-y is not to tell so much more than the character would that it feels false.

Rhaps

Xenophobia Incarnate
I like to spread information over multiple chapters as off-comment, that keeps the reader engaged and seek more. They will slowly realized how much your MC knows and go something along the line of "damn he knew all this time?"

BouncyCactus

Wearer of Dozen Facades
(Taking note...I got the worldbuilder disease)
Depending on how I write, I spice things up differently. As many ppl here suggested, slowly weaving in the expo over multiple chapters is the way I like it, or just giving little snippets through convo. Or in some cases, give in a little, but don't fully explain it, and let the thought stew for a while. Maybe even have a different POV if your story allowed for it to explain something that is out of character for the MC to do, even if he knows about it.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
Seriously.

I have a strong aversion to using the same word too much. I just like to change it up as much as possible. 'I' is one of those words.

I understand it's first person perspective, but you use 'I' a lot. I don't how to correct that, but if you are asking what would annoy the reader, it's that for me.

As for the MC knowing too much. I only read the one chapter so I don't gave context, but it seems like thus is his opinion, not an objective fact. A MC forming his own opinions and conclusions is fine, as long as it is consistent. When he starts knowing objective fact with little or no input, then it starts to become sus.

I would recommend against the internal monolog, unless he does that often. Otherwise, it's fine.

Maybe rephrase it as his actual thoughts, not a narrator's view of his thoughts.

MintiLime

Seriously.

I have a strong aversion to using the same word too much. I just like to change it up as much as possible. 'I' is one of those words.

I understand it's first person perspective, but you use 'I' a lot. I don't how to correct that, but if you are asking what would annoy the reader, it's that for me.

As for the MC knowing too much. I only read the one chapter so I don't gave context, but it seems like thus is his opinion, not an objective fact. A MC forming his own opinions and conclusions is fine, as long as it is consistent. When he starts knowing objective fact with little or no input, then it starts to become sus.

I would recommend against the internal monolog, unless he does that often. Otherwise, it's fine.

Maybe rephrase it as his actual thoughts, not a narrator's view of his thoughts.
Thank you for the feedback! I will check up on the use of the word “I.”

Newbie writer, still working on it, yatta yatta yatta.

There are certain
never uses people’s names, overly obsessed with self introspection, alienates self from others, etc.
that will be the subject of character development later, but I certainly don’t want it to be annoying, especially accidentally lol

melchi

What is a custom title?
Maybe try to look at it in percentages? If there is a self set limit for how much of a chapter can be exposition then stop at that.

TotallyHuman

I dunno. When you know something and encounter it, will you go on a long exposition tangent, or just say to yourself "yep. This happens, as I already knew". If you're the former type then I don't think you can be helped.

BearlyAlive

Certfied Super Secret Final Secret Final Boss
Don't do info dumps. If things go as planned, let your character comment on it, if things go south they have to defend their decisions anyway.
In that case just go "deus vult" and act without explanation. If your character follows their deity just drop a line about said deity wanting it to happen or your characters thinking their deity wants it to happen.

Reasons -> Actions -> Consequences is a pretty easy way to get to the core of every action or conflict, imo.

MintiLime

Is there really a lot of exposition here? It’s a mostly introspective chapter.
Oh thank goodness, I was worried it would come off as “narrator wants to shove stuff in but make it thoughts”