How to sound like an 'unreliable narrator'?

Alfir

The Inventor of Words
Like the thread title asked, how?
I meant it, maybe as a bit of comedy? I am not sure how to do it?
Ultimately, its like a writing style that could smoothly transition in a mocking and condescending manner.

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
Stutter a lot and be unsure of what you are actually narrating.

Other than that, be wrong.

vaurwyn

Everyone dies someday, but I'm procrastinating
Like the thread title asked, how?
I meant it, maybe as a bit of comedy? I am not sure how to do it?
Ultimately, its like a writing style that could smoothly transition in a mocking and condescending manner.
Writing an unreliable narator is teh same as a reliable one, only give it a biase. It can be in any style you want to write, it only has to describe events in a way that are not true, and give enough clues to the reader so he can figure out that the narator is lying or exagerating.

TheHaoboSpatula

Okay to actually be an unreliable narrator, it's less about being wrong and more about leaving the audience out of many key pieces of information. For example, have the MC know things that the audience doesn't and thus they'll make decisions that seem wrong or weird but then have the reader find out that the MC has been thinking with more layers or in a much more complex way that isn't originally conveyed to the reader before the conclusion of a scene.

example of an unreliable narrator (by me) - Read Chapter 18

A High School Manipulation Story with an unreliable narrator - The entire thing is a pretty good example

Dieter

the Writer
Have the narrator go on a coffee break and next chapter start with a time skip with a lot of unanswered questions.

TotallyHuman

Make obvious contradictions between the lines and have the narrator speak with an exaggerated tone, as if sarcastic.
Facing Ghermius was a beautiful blue sky. Such a pure and wonderful view, stretching far, far, well beyond one's field of vision or imagination.
Our hero could look at the sky forever; he was so enruptured by it, in fact, that despite his only hand clinging to the vine getting numb and the possibility of him turning into a vermilion smear at the foot of the cliff quickly going up, all he could do was to stare above with his eyes open wide and screaming with elation, as if to put his entire being into worshipping the view:
"AAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!",
Ghermius had the soul of a poet indeed

Paul_Tromba

Sleep deprived mess of a published author
Retract a lot of what is being said by the narrator by having it become very confused or disoriented by what they are narrating. This includes having the narrator burst into laughter before explaining the dumb things the characters did or even giving commentary on how dumb the characters are. You could even go the angry Dora watcher route by having them get mad at the characters by pointing out the obvious solutions that none of the characters go with. Love is war's narrator does this a lot. There are various ways to do it and it depends entirely on your own preference and the story itself.

WinterTimeCrime

Aggressive-Loving Snowflake
Poking fun in serious scenes, or making moments of passion and romance seem overdramatic. Like, when a character goes in to kiss another person, the narrator would rather talk about how they bumped noses and seemed unsure of themselves when they started to kiss -- When it's like a prince and princess who're lovers that have been separated for like seven years.