Writing How to write a Mute Character

KingMusa

Hello citizens of ScribbleHub, so I want to implement a Mute character in a story I'm writing, can someone give me examples of how you would handle a Mute persons dialogue? Like do I even give them dialogues? Or do I just convey there emotion through expressions, keep in mind I'm not an expert writer so any advice will help

Lorelliad

call me Roamer 🎩
There's always alternatives to communication. If its a gag character you could have them carry around a whiteboard or something that they could write on whenever they want to speak. Sign language works too, although that could be difficult to describe. Of course, if your world has magic, you could invent a spell that allows for telepathic communication.

Underload

I would use it for comedic relief. Like he's a new assassin on his first task to kill this normal mc or someone else, but his intentions are misunderstood. He's perched atop a tree with a bow, but the mc misunderstands that he's hunting pigeons and climbs the tree to help him. Then they eat it. Later mc finds him collecting poisonous berries, which they eat together. Mc is fine because he's poison-resistant, but the assassin gets in trouble. BUt he can't explain anything because he's mute. Later the assassin will become friends with the mc and the boys and help them get out of some big trouble.

J_Chemist

One of my recent characters has crushed vocal chords. He communicates via sign language. However, while I mention him "signing", I type out the dialogue regardless. It's choppier than a typical dialogue piece since there aren't full sentences but it gets the point across. Also, the brother translates to other people what he's saying in conversation.

If they need to speak, let them speak. Feel free to be creative with how. Don't hurt your reader's immersive experience or your story's progression over a gimmick. Use it to enhance the story, not throttle it.

Seren

In my series, there is a mute character. When interacting with this character, I describe their personality with another character beside them or at a distance, such as behind or from the side. This allows me to participate in the dialogue while also incorporating the use of sign language to convey meaning.

TheEldritchGod

A Cloud Of Pure Spite And Eyes
The giant cloud of spite and eyes stared.

It never uttered a sound. When it communicated, it typed on a keyboard. It never spoke, for it had no mouth. Just eyes.

SO. MANY. EYES.

Each eye was an entity in its own right. A subset of the gestalt. You have the same things. You have parts of your mind that act without thinking. When you walk, do you think of the placement of every toe? When crossing the street, do you think about how to deal with the curb? No. You just raise one foot a little higher, expecting object permanence and that it would be there, even if you were talking on your phone, or your eyes were on a distant friend who had come into view.

A subset of you.

Most people are like this. Preprogrammed responses that act upon stimuli. If I throw a rock at your head, you'll dodge, maybe try to catch it. But if I go through the motions of throwing a rock at your head, but not actually throw it, you'll still flinch. Why? Because you responded to the stimuli. You preprogrammed your mind to react in a certain fashion.

The only part of you, that is "you" is about eight ounces of lipids and proteins on the front of your brain. A new addition to the human race that barely had gotten out of alpha release. It is what allows you to make choices. Free will. The one part of your brain that turns on, and turns off the other parts you preprogrammed.

Fascinating, really.

So when you communicate, you think it is just words. Far from it. People learn to crawl, walk, and run, and this means your legs are the most programmed part of your body. It's hard to lie with your legs. The legs speak more than any other part of your body. It's the first part of your body you communicate with. Then the hands, the face, then tone, then finally... words.

Being unable to speak words is only ten percent of your communication. The tone of your words conveys more meaning than the words themselves. To say you love someone can be said sincerely or sarcastically. Facial expressions are about thirty percent of communications, with body language being forty. Sure, it's difficult to get the nuance without words or tone, but you can get basic concepts across easily enough.

Why, I'm talking to you right now, without saying a word. I never say a word. I never speak, I just type, and thoughts seep into your mind and slide over it like oil spreading across water. To write about a mute is easy, if the narrator of their life is available to speak to the reader, If you have a talent for metaphor and understand the nature of nonverbal communication. It is not about what people see, but what the meaning is behind the action.

The giant cloud of spite and eyes stared.

TsumiHokiro

Just another chick in the universe
Hello citizens of ScribbleHub, so I want to implement a Mute character in a story I'm writing, can someone give me examples of how you would handle a Mute persons dialogue? Like do I even give them dialogues? Or do I just convey there emotion through expressions, keep in mind I'm not an expert writer so any advice will help
Read a good reference: Katawa Shoujo will do you good.

KingMusa

Thank you all for the feedback!! Each was very useful, I'll take it all in and craft something that works best for me!

Thank you again!

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
I had a mute character in my story; it was totally the same as writing a normal character.

"Have you been briefed by Kawu?" She asked, and Aurora just shook her head in answer. "Mhm. I am going to have you accompany my daughter to the Academy. You are going to enroll as another student."

"Me?" She pointed at herself, asking with her eyes instead of words.

"Yep. It is a good experience! But besides learning, I want you to keep an eye on her!"

"Yes!" She signed, nodding heavily, taking it as one of the greatest honors to be the bodyguard of one of the direct bloodlines of Reyra.

"Relax~ It shouldn't be a difficult or heavy job! You just need to make sure of three key things!" She stood up and walked before her table, sitting atop it so they would be at eye level. "One: Don't let Koadriana drag her into trouble."

"Koadriana…" Aurora tilted her head, writing in the air before she recognized the name. "Ah. The granddaughter of Lord Parthorn. She tried to woo me. She does not look too bad, but I am not into girls. I assume she is still just as wild?"

"Kinda." Reyra chuckled. "She is a kind girl but loves men and women way too much! I know she wants to share her love for everybody, but… eh… don't let my little angel become a succubus! She has to keep her virginity until marriage!"

"Lady, your little angel is already a little devil. At least, that is what I heard." Aurora quickly signed, tilting her head to the right with raised eyebrows.

bulmabriefs144

Well, since I think all but the most obvious sign language is pretentious, my advice would be to do what mute people who aren't deaf (yeah there's alot of people out there who think mute ppl are automatically deaf, and talk to them as though they are deaf) and have to deal with people who don't know sign language, or who don't know it themselves, do.
Have them hold a pad of paper. If the answer is common (e.g. "yes", "no", "I already know that!") have them hold a premade and possibly worn out sheet of paper. Otherwise, they are gonna be writing on that paper. Or occasionally signalling that they need more paper.

In Spanish novels, they have « » quotes for text. Various other brackets also work.

Shrimp_eater

Depends. If its someone who speaks with sign language for example, you could just write normal dialogue using a different format, after implying that to readers of course.

Shouko jokingly tighted her expression and spoke with her friend using her hands.

(That guy totally smells doesn't he? Why can't he just take a bath or something?)

Her friend answered in the same fashion.

(I know right? And he's so sweaty too... i really want to leave already)

They both laughed heartedly. Neither girl knew Mr. Woeful was fluent in sign language. Unfortunately he lacked the courage to interject.

Sleds

I'm looking for Disney Sleds
You can give her/him a inner voice, you write the dialogue but said it's hand sign used for it, if you want some exemple, you can try to look at some movie or series that portray such character.

Here two exemple if you want:
A Silent Voice
Twinkling Watermelon

Both portray it differently with different struggle too.

Edit: You can also write that she/he hand sign too fast when she/he are angry/mad and people struggle to follow it or even understand it, when that happen you can remove the dialogue or cut some part in it.

a.s.k.florian

I'm by no means an expert either, but I took the route of using a lot of gestures. It comes off a bit confusing sometimes, but I find that works out in my favor to some degree, as the reader basically gets about as much as the MC does (or doesn't, sometimes). To give a better understanding, the reader has to extrapolate from what the other characters' responses are to the gestures.

For example, a mute character tapping on their wrist and then pointing off to the side with a thumb and head tilt, followed by the MC responding "Yeah, we should get out of here. I want to sleep."

Again, not sure if that's the best way to go about it, but it's what I ended up going with.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.
With a knife pressed against you