Writing Prompt How versatile are scientific dark matter and energy be in combat?

Terragammaton

I have an ulterior motive for this (says it anyway), so please don't berate me for doing this (hopes for best)!

If you could change your physiology to any of these two or both simultaneously?
If you could manipulate dark matter around you or on you?
If you could control the direction or density of dark energy?
If you could apply said dark properties on objects or people?
If you could, something like that.

An example would be, say this Boundless Darkness. Not necessarily needing an explanation, but I do like explaining things, to my dissatisfaction.
  • A fusion between dark matter and energy properties, essentially turning the surroundings into an non-observable zone of nigh-infinite reach.
  • It has become an non-observable zone to both active observers and reactive observers due intangibility aggregation and concentric repulsion fields.
  • Active observers, the sentient and animated bodies of information, will be indirectly affected by the subjective disruption of space and time.
  • Reactive observers, non-sentient and reanimated bodies of information, will be directly affected by the local disruption of space and time.
  • Active observers cannot escape the non-observable zone easily unless they are faster than light or are able to warp space and time around them.

Last edited:

Assurbanipal_II

Empress of the Four Corners of the World
Difficult to say. :blob_evil_two: Dark matter is essentially a placeholder in equations to maintain our standard models of gravity. It is an undetermined variable we can't really explain or actively detect. We just assume that it is there and rely on passive detection.

So even though, it is called dark matter, it is not really ... dark to speak so.

Btw, what you describe to me, sounds more like a black hole.

atgongumerki

All we really know about dark matter is that it has mass and is unaffected by electromagnetic radiation.

Let's pretend it is identical to other materials:
Since it does not interact with light, you could create invisible projectiles!
You could mess with the balance of your opponents, by creating obstacles in the trajectory of their movement.
You could clog down the respiratory system of enemies.
And generally, everything else you can do with physical materials, except nobody can see it.

And since most of our technology is based on electromagnetic radiation it would be hard to detect.
If you want to detect it you would have to do so via hearing how it displaces the air or via touching it directly.

Mephi

Granted, mostly its in fantasy related to psuedo-scientific explanations of dark magic, but....

I've seen a couple stories where dark matter is used to manipulate gravity in various ways, including the bending of space (and, by extension, teleports) as well as black hole creation. Also, some level of invisibility / blending in shadows.

All in all, dark matter can be treated like a minovski particle.

Marunikyu

Most excellent anti-Marxist smut writer
It's been proven dark matter/energy doesn't exist. If you don't want your story to be a cringe fest in 20 years when the truth is out in the open to the public, you should just use either : plasma or Bose-einstein condensates.
That's part of the "dark matter", the rest is literally dust and water. It's undetectable to cheaper standard telescopes, this has only been visualized in imagery recently.
Because "dark matter" is so fake, readers will have trouble following your story if it's around it. Same for Einstein's relativity (which was also proven false through direct observation). Good luck!

RayleighScatter

One example of a character that can use dark matter is Kakine Teitoku from the “A Certain Magical/Scientific” literary universe. In the case of his “Dark Matter” Esper power, the DM he produces isn’t something that theoretically exists or has yet to be discovered, it just literally doesn’t exist. Due to that, whatever he creates or affects with this ability operates under different laws, I.e. normal sunlight becomes capable of burning someone to death simply by being exposed to the altered rays.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
It's been proven dark matter/energy doesn't exist. If you don't want your story to be a cringe fest in 20 years when the truth is out in the open to the public, you should just use either : plasma or Bose-einstein condensates.
That's part of the "dark matter", the rest is literally dust and water. It's undetectable to cheaper standard telescopes, this has only been visualized in imagery recently.
Because "dark matter" is so fake, readers will have trouble following your story if it's around it. Same for Einstein's relativity (which was also proven false through direct observation). Good luck!
Source?

Marunikyu

Source for Einstein bs (among others):
Source for "dark matter" bs:
Source for dark hole bs:
If you search carefully, you'll find hundreds of papers on many of these subjects
Sky Scholar is an excellent science channel. Even high school students can understand.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Source for Einstein bs (among others):
Source for "dark matter" bs:
Source for dark hole bs:
If you search carefully, you'll find hundreds of papers on many of these subjects
Sky Scholar is an excellent science channel. Even high school students can understand.
That shit is PhD stuff so I have no say over that, though through a little digging, the man (Mr C) got expelled from his PhD course.

And the owner of the channel, from the same digging, I found a wiki that detailed an interesting fact. His ideas are all rejected by peer-review.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
When people ask for source, do your best to post published, peer reviewed journals, not youtube videos. For the laymen, the free-to-view abstracts are simple enough so there's no reason to not go there.

Ace_Arriande

rofl dude is a discredited conspiracy theorist who climate deniers look up to and the Crothers guy he partners up with for the relativity video is a man who got expelled from a legitimate university and only has a degree from the degree mill that his friend founded

Not sure that makes him the best go-to source. Unfortunately, it's impossible to "debunk" him to people when the people who seem to believe him all claim that the only people with enough legitimacy to debunk him are lying because they're getting paid to do so or are in on the conspiracy. You can't be wrong if you believe everybody who's "right" is a paid shill spreading lies, after all. Those videos are as legitimate as flat Earth videos. Too bad all the peer-reviewed studies supported by actual science are going to be false lies only supported to get grant money to pocket, as the conspiracy theorists in the comments on the videos all like to believe. Most of them sound like they're one step away from bringing out the triple brackets.

PandaSempai

Dark matter is definitely very versatile. This fact is evident if you ever watched the anime 'To Love-Ru'. Nemesis there showcased how dark matter could be used and she does it so flawlessly. She could make a dress out of it, make sharp weapons, etc, etc. Well, she IS a dark matter who has consciousness so... Either way, it's a very versatile thing.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
The beauty of dark matter is that we know next to nothing about it other than its existence, so you can do practically anything

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer
Interestingly, Dark Energy might not exist. There is a peer-reviewed from a reputable source paper tickling the original Nobel-Prize winning paper. Now this is a real deal. (Though it is still under the reviews of other sources.)

Marunikyu

That shit is PhD stuff so I have no say over that, though through a little digging, the man (Mr C) got expelled from his PhD course.

And the owner of the channel, from the same digging, I found a wiki that detailed an interesting fact. His ideas are all rejected by peer-review.
Yup. That's what happens to every single scientist that goes against the general consensus without a HUGE backing.
Cancer was cured 30 years ago. The dude "died".
Nutrition was debunked. The dude is censored.
Electromagnetic radiation was proven to be toxic even at small levels, by the USA military. The info is covered up? Or written over with propaganda.
The process you need for every situation is one that comes from within, hearing the arguments, making arguments by yourself, breaking your preconceptions, analyzing obvious corruption sources. It easily takes years to do so correctly even with a high IQ. Most people generally believe straight up whatever comes out of the mouth of a person of authority. You can only consider being good on a subject when you hear the President or a top renowned scientist saying something, and having the confidence to say "no, that's wrong" (and being right).
Well, on the topic of "dark matter/energy", there's not much to say. None of it makes sense either in theory or in any model. Same for the Big Bang. Many contradictory observations to those theories. One fact to remember: the last 100 years in science are the most corrupt (not just in the monetary sense).

Zoey

Mustachu
Can I ask that if you're not here to talk about the use of dark matter in sciences fiction then please take your discussions elsewhere, such as a PM, new thread, ectra.

I'd advise @Marunikyu @Ace_Arriande @GDLiZy @TypeAxiom take this elsewhere, I can even start the PM for you.

YuriDoggo

Angery Doggo >ᴗ<
Can I ask that if you're not here to talk about the use of dark matter in sciences fiction then please take your discussions elsewhere, such as a PM, new thread, ectra.

Get out of here. Did you not see my last post? The point is dark matter is free real estate in science fiction.

GDLiZy

Tale Admirer

I'd advise @Marunikyu @Ace_Arriande @GDLiZy @TypeAxiom take this elsewhere, I can even start the PM for you.
We need to talk about what it is in real life first before getting into the application in fiction. Otherwise, people would have the wrong understanding of the subject and get ridiculed for their lack of research (or lack of proofreading).

BenJepheneT

Light Up Gold - Parquet Courts

My nigga this is but a small kindle compared to the Three Kingdoms scale wars we once have so frequently

Zoey

Mustachu
My nigga this is but a small kindle compared to the Three Kingdoms scale wars we once have so frequently
I get you still this thread is working under the assumption that dark matter does exist, just because one person says that they don't believe it doesn't mean we can't talk about the cool things you can do with it assuming it does exist. It's like magic, just because we all know it isn't real and we all have our own head-canon of what it can and can't do doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to site other books just to prove that it can do X.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we should try having fun talking about what weird and wacky things we can do with dark matter. I'm not saying we can't argue about it, it just feels like that's not the intent of the thread. Or maybe I'm spouting bull shit I don't know.