How would you edit your story?

Motsu

Game Lead Programmer x WebAppSoft
First starting with me—Motsu.
The extent of my ability to identify problems using extreme observation within my story is practically satisfactory—furthermore, my way of identifying problems all came from different types of experience leading to my absolute rule when writing, "Never contradict yourself"—always have a clear goal, always have visualizable and emotionally evoking scenarios, a logical flaw of information and imaginative way of storytelling.

My three processes for identifying problems are:
  1. IDENTIFYING THE PROBLEM.
—So you might ask, "How can I identify the problem if I have no idea what the problem is?"
So, in many ways possible, a problem arises in a story whenever—from a reader's perspective—the storytelling doesn't clarify them and make them visualize the scene you were trying to portray. And that's a big problem! Thing is, problems are what could be considered natural disasters—they occur without any way completely stopping them because problems can be subjected for the readers and authors and they may also be just the "styles of writing".

2. UNDERSTANDING THE PROBLEM

—So you might also ask, "How am I supposed to understand the problem if I don't get along with the problems?"
But as a learning process, you should always reflect upon your mistakes by trying to have an in-depth discussion with yourself about the given mistake or ask for someone's help to make you understand why it is a problem. The more you understand your problem, the more you are able to surpass these problems with innovative and game-winning methods of solving them.

FIXING THE PROBLEM

—So you might also wanna ask this, "How can I fix the problem if the problem is beyond my reach?"
Actually... just get an editor already. But, to put it bluntly, how you fix your problem is based on how you understand the problem you've identified. So while it is indeed a learning process, it can also be time and mentally-consuming.

That's about some of the small concepts I wanna share with you, folks!

What about you? What is your approach when it comes to editing your story in terms of logic, experience, and intuition?

To what extent of scrutiny are you able to determine grammatical and logical problems within your story?​

Last edited:

doravg

104/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Put it through two waves of editing, and pray that your dyslexia hasn't acted up during the process. Editors are too expensive. Never spent money on something that won't make you money.

Motsu

Put it through two waves of editing, and pray that your dyslexia hasn't acted up during the process. Editors are too expensive. Never spent money on something that won't make you money.
True enough—for the most part, it would be nice to have different feedback toward a specific novel. That's only if a certain author would want to have a logical flow of information and reader engagement, especially because there are things we aren't able to see alone.
My approach to editing is to make whatever I write readable.
Sounds too broad, in fact, readability can mean different things. It could be about how easy and enjoyable your writing is for the reader, how comprehensive it is in terms of vocabulary, or the realism of the dialogue and etc...

SailusGebel

Sounds too broad, in fact, readability can mean different things. It could be about how easy and enjoyable your writing is for the reader, how comprehensive it is in terms of vocabulary, or the realism of the dialogue and etc...
I strive to make it easy to read and comprehend for readers with different levels of the English language. So that they will understand idioms and metaphors and won't constantly get distracted by new words they need to google. Making it possible to get a decent google translation of a whole story\chapter, and so on. This kind of readability.

As for to what extent I'm able to determine problems, I can't judge it myself. But I actually don't care; it doesn't matter to me. What matters is whether I liked what I wrote or not. Even if it is technically wrong or\and violates some unspoken rule of writing, if I'm happy with what I wrote, I won't rewrite\edit it.

Motsu

I strive to make it easy to read and comprehend for readers with different levels of the English language. So that they will understand idioms and metaphors and won't constantly get distracted by new words they need to google. Making it possible to get a decent google translation of a whole story\chapter, and so on. This kind of readability.

As for to what extent I'm able to determine problems, I can't judge it myself. But I actually don't care; it doesn't matter to me. What matters is whether I liked what I wrote or not. Even if it is technically wrong or\and violates some unspoken rule of writing, if I'm happy with what I wrote, I won't rewrite\edit it.
If you treat writing as a personal hobby, then that's cool. Can't judge you for wanting to have things your way on your story.

SailusGebel

If you treat writing as a personal hobby, then that's cool. Can't judge you for wanting to have things your way on your story.
I want to make money out of writing. I understand that with my approach, I won't be able to make a lot. However, I don't have unreasonable goals either. And if I start earning money from writing, I can pay for editing. It will help with grammar and prose.

Motsu

I want to make money out of writing. I understand that with my approach, I won't be able to make a lot. However, I don't have unreasonable goals either. And if I start earning money from writing, I can pay for editing. It will help with grammar and prose.
Good luck with that.