How you guys earn from writing Novel?

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
You guys earn something?

will_poulter.png

Sebas_Guzman

If you want to earn, you need to be a business person, not a hobbyist unless you're a genius. It is completely possible to earn extreme amounts, but you have to work hard and smart.

Aside from patreon, people also put their books on amazon.

Erios909

Hello everyone, I'm just new to SH and new in writing webnovel.

I've a question, how these writers earn, are they writing just because of their hobby or do they also make their living from these writing work?

and if yes they earn, is it from Patreon only? and why they publish these stories here if everyone can read it for free?
So people have went over the benefits of posting on SH. You get experience writing, you get a good chance at getting eyes on your story since its for free and the site has great visibility for new authors compared to some places (I'm looking at you Wattpad). Readers get free content and a chance to find those upcoming authors that might have the stories that they are looking for.

Everyone is in different places of their own personal writing journey, there is no one shoe-fits-all deal, and we all have different skill levels, strengths, and weaknesses.

The most common monetization scheme that starts to work (tip jars are cool but there is no call to action or transaction) to start with is patreon. Generally you offer 'advanced' chapters; that is chapters that are on patreon but not released to the public yet. They pay $ and can read ahead of the current public release.

Afterwards, if your story does well, you'll be able to take your 'proven' webserial and shop around with publishers and get a deal with them, or if you are willing to put in the research/work then self-publishing on amazon KDP is a really good choice. You can effectively leverage your current audience into spring boarding your release on amazon.
You guys earn something?

View attachment 18404
Here's what a 'good' series launch on RR/SH can look like with Patreon:

Things can do even better than this, or worse... it just depends on a lot of factors, including but not limited to:
A) How well readers receive your writing
B) How popular your genre is
C) How well you market your story
D) Regular updates and building trust with your audience
E) Building a community around the story
F) Making sure you continue to offer content that keeps them coming back for more

melchi

What is a custom title?
Also, if there is already a reader base then there can be a call to write reviews on amazon. Stuff that has zero reviews on amazon is basically invisible.

Bartun

Friendly Saurian Neighbor
Can you open something like Ko-fi? If there's a will laughs best as they say.
No, sadly. Almost all international bank transactions are blocked in my country because of money laundering. The only way I can send or receive money from abroad is through Western Union. I can't even pay for art commissions. :blob_pat_sad:

Civilian

No, sadly. Almost all international bank transactions are blocked in my country because of money laundering. The only way I can send or receive money from abroad is through Western Union. I can't even pay for art commissions. :blob_pat_sad:
Damn, that really sucks. Hopefully its gets better soon.

aWildDucky

Patreon. Was making close to 300ish a month off it before I went on hiatus. A few friends of mine make alot more, with two living off it. I think one has Patreon but just spams his stuff onto Amazon and lives off the collective revenue

FREAK_Reader01

Patreon. Was making close to 300ish a month off it before I went on hiatus. A few friends of mine make alot more, with two living off it. I think one has Patreon but just spams his stuff onto Amazon and lives off the collective revenue
Please can you tell me how to make use of patreon to monetize my novel

If I earned 1000$/month, I'd be earning enough to not only live on my own, but to also adopt a child or two! xD

1000$ is a lot~
If I earned that kind of money, I'll drop my college at this instant. With that amount of money, I can idle and even save for my future retirement fee!
Remember to report those things instead of quoting them...

Different currencies.

1000$ is a lot when your currency is 5x weaker than USD.
Truuue 🤓☕

Midnight-Phantom

( Enigmatic-Entity )
I'm new to the trade so keep in mind that the information I'm sharing is mostly based on internet research and some that I know for sure, and it's important to adapt these for your specific situation.

Firstly, you'll need a globally accepted bank account or have the service enabled via Mastercard or Visa to set up accounts on platforms such as Patreon or Ko-fi.

Platforms like Patreon and Ko-fi provide a way for fans to support creators through donations. As a token of appreciation, authors often offer perks like early access to drafts or future chapters. Some authors even create NSFW illustrations as fan service.

If you have a decent following on social media, consider joining affiliate programs. You can promote relevant products such as keyboards, stylus pens, and drawing tablets. As your reach grows, you can even explore selling merchandise featuring your characters.

Another option is to offer paid services like editing or other related tasks to those in need. While AI technology has reduced the demand for certain services, there are still clients who value human expertise, especially for physical copies of their work.

If your novels or illustrations gain popularity, consider promoting them at comic conventions. These events provide great opportunities to showcase your work and connect with publishing representatives who may offer contracts. While cultural festivals are prevalent in some areas, comic conventions are specifically tailored to the comic and illustration industry.

There are platforms like Webnovel or Amazon that require payment to access content. While these platforms may take a significant percentage of your earnings (typically at least 40%), substantial income is possible if your sales perform well.

Don't forget to explore options like creating physical copies of your work or collaborating with other artists, such as mangakas, to add color to your illustrations. This can attract collectors and fans who appreciate tangible art.

Additionally, you can consider regional services like radio stations or audiobook platforms, which provide another avenue for showcasing your work and reaching a broader audience.

Lastly, anime adaptations are also a possibility. While many anime are based on manga, there are also instances where novels are adapted into animated series. This can be a significant opportunity to expand your fanbase and reach new audiences.

In the end, the choice of methods depends on factors such as your location, the type of content you create, and the preferences of your audience. There's no definitive answer, as it varies for each individual. However, with the help of AI and the current year being 2023, many tasks can be accomplished independently, and there's always the possibility of new opportunities in the future.

Last edited:

Seaspecter

I don't make a single cent of my novel and I never will. This is just a hobby for me and as soon as you start trying to make money from a hobby it sucks the fun out of it.

Premier

Unless you’re huge the main money will be from commissions.

Patreon people will sign up for advance chapters. I’ve got 30 chapters ahead on Patreon and that’s enough to get a decent amount. But still I earn a lot more for commissions, as fans will absolutely pay for side stories.

If you’re not in smut the commission amount is probably way less but if you’re popular people will still shell out for more off you.