I have been finally poached.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.

Don't fall for it, guys and gals. That part is the most insidious.

Of course, this only stands if you care about it; if it is not that important, you just want to grab the bag, no issues then.

But losing your ownership over digital distribution is the biggest catch, even if they try to word it differently, making it out as if you retain your ownership. They do not own your book.... if you can print it out. But most people won't be able to afford to make a hard copy, especially if it is a story like mine, which is more than 3000 pages long.

Well, that's it; I just wanted to share that if you get a similar e-mail, be aware and read it through thoroughly!

The spiel about retaining your copyright over your story is sketchy and is like a bait & switch!

Rokuro-Sama

Of course, this only stands if you care about it; if it is not that important, you just want to grab the bag, no issues then.

But losing your ownership over digital distribution is the biggest catch, even if they try to word it differently, making it out as if you retain your ownership. They do not own your book.... if you can print it out. But most people won't be able to afford to make a hard copy, especially if it is a story like mine, which is more than 3000 pages long.

Well, that's it; I just wanted to share that if you get a similar e-mail, be aware and read it through thoroughly!

The spiel about retaining your copyright over your story is sketchy and is like a bait & switch!
Thanks for the lesson on ownership and copyright, Corty-Sensei.

Paul_Michaels

Just a below average author.

A fifty-fifty revenue split for losing your ownership of your material sounds like a DEAL!

Oh boy! Sign me up! Nothing like a life of a serf for me.

All joking aside. I feel like a nobody until the day I get an email from A&D. And I can properly click the Spam button. That's when I know, I'm good enough to steal from.

One could dream

Last edited:

Lloyd

Professional Writer
Honestly, this sort of contract can actually be legit, especially if you only sell the rights to the book for a year or two. Self publishing can be pretty hard and is super risky, so it may be worth it for some people to take advantage of a good publisher.

Corty

Sneaking in, stealing your socks.
Honestly, this sort of contract can actually be legit, especially if you only sell the rights to the book for a year or two. Self publishing can be pretty hard and is super risky, so it may be worth it for some people to take advantage of a good publisher.
That is entirely true. Sadly, they want it for life, but after they send me a full contract, I can read the gritty details of where their trap is.

LuoirM

Voidiris' enthusiast feet enjoyer.

Everything should have stopped the moment there is a "we gon help you gain readers"
That is entirely true. Sadly, they want it for life, but after they send me a full contract, I can read the gritty details of where their trap is.
I'm dying to read

expentio

They probably copy paste it to all the books that perform in a way they could see profit in it. Which is at least a good indicator we are doing something right. :blobrofl:
Then what am I doing wrong?!😭😭😭

Why isn't anyone poaching me? My stories are doing decently well. I feel so left out.
(Though, I haven't even figured out how to add those story links to the comments. So maybe I'm not that professional.)