I heard you like talking about useless topics? Here's one more.

Detective_Quack

QUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACKQUACK
A person might act out of charector when they might be in a tense situation like an accident due to the panic. Additionally a person may act out of charector when drunk or high.

RepresentingEnvy

En-Chan Queen Vampy!
I guess it depends what you consider out of character. I'd say yes. The best example I can think of is Light Yagami at the end of Death Note. The most common example I see is when usually calm criminals get caught. They often become pathetic.

Daitengu

Considering I watched a couple of degen vtubers complete NNN, yes. Because watching them degrade over a month really showed me just how much a person's character is mood dependent.

doravg

106/4001 (too lazy to count the stories again.)
Should a person act out of character for someone who never acts out of character. If yes, why.
I tend to like speaking with people, but most people don't like speaking with me, since they can't see pass the fat rolls. So, in order to stop getting grimaces from some of my coworkers, I just started taking my phone during the breaks, and read the SHF during that time. If someone comes to me, I speak with them, but if no one comes, I just read the comments.

So, yeah, one must act out of character when people don't like them.

(One day I will lose all the extra weight, I have already lost 5kg in the past 4 weeks. But, @SailusGebel, do you think I should act so, as if I were never fat, and ignored, when it finally happens? It doesn't sound easy to just ignore everything, does it?)

J_Chemist

Me turning into a teddy bear when given a smol child or, even better and more preferably, a puppy or kitten.

crbrearley

Considering I watched a couple of degen vtubers complete NNN, yes. Because watching them degrade over a month really showed me just how much a person's character is mood dependent.
At the risk of turning this thread useful, I suppose you could say that living humans act "out of character" all the time, because mood. Written characters much less so and usually the author must provide justification or the audience growls... I suppose a good writer would have no problem with this (the situation has been getting testy and so even the nice guy snaps). But we lesser mortals might say, "oh, so and so is in a mood!"

Kenjona

Sometimes what you see "in character" is not them per se, just the appearance they have been showing everyone until something comes along to uncover their true selves.
Also a lot of times we also have different characteristics that present themselves as our character in different circumstances, even relatively non stressful and benign ones. Formal events/Informal Events; Home Alone/Home with family; Working alone/Working with others; out on the ocean/ out on on a lake. Many authors have done a good job between showing people change when warranted, others not so much.

I got to use per se! I got to use per se!

Edited to correct a sentence that did not complete my thought correctly.

Last edited: